Local Female Tourist Assaulted, Robbed On Jomtien Beach

Rimmer

Pattaya, August 31 [PDN]: At 00.20 am on 31st August 2009 a young Thai woman from Bangsan was robbed by two men after she had withdrawn 10,000 baht from an ATM on Jomtien Beach Road.

The duty officer at the Dongtan station, Police Lieutenant Colonel Chalermkiat Sirimak, arrived at the scene to find Miss Wimon Ponekumpin, or Ann, [23] sitting by the road with her hand on her stomach. Her luggage was lying next to her on the ground.

She told the police she had come from Bangsan to Pattaya by bus for a holiday, and had taken a motorbike taxi to the Jomtien beach area looking for a hotel. She told the motorbike rider to drop her off at the ATM machine of THE Siam Commercial bak , Soi Jomtien 11.

She got off the bike and withdrew 10,000 baht from the machine and put the money in her shoulder bag. She intended to go to 7/11 shop nearby but while she was walking away from the ATM booth, two men, one fat and one thin, approached her riding a Honda Sonic motorbike. They used a knife to threaten her. She said she tried to get a pepper spray out of her bag but one of the men punched her in the stomach. She fell to the ground and they took her bag, jumped on their bike and sped away towards Dongtan.

Her bag contained 2 mobile phones, one Buddha image and 10,000 baht in cash.

Miss Wimon complained: “I only wanted to have a holiday, I didn’t expect Pattaya to be this dangerous”

The police presume the thieves knew she was a tourist and was travelling alone. They would check CCTV cameras around the area, including those outside the 7/11 and the bank to try and discover their identity.

Miss Wimon, who vowed never to return to Pattaya, was sent to the hospital for treatment.

Source: http://pattayadailynews.com/shownews.php?IDNEWS=0000010213

How come I don't believe this story ?... :)

A 23 yo girl travels as a tourist to Jomtien in the middle of the night and takes Baht 10.000 (!) from an ATM, trying to find a hotel ?

Hmmm

LaoPo

:):D

How come I don't believe this story ?... :D

A 23 yo girl travels as a tourist to Jomtien in the middle of the night and takes Baht 10.000 (!) from an ATM, trying to find a hotel ?

Hmmm

LaoPo

Sounds like the motorcycle taxi, might have called his buddies and told them he had a sucker and she was at a ATM machine with drawering money

and bla bla bla, sad if it's true...Hummmm

thats terrible., but how did they know she was a tourist ????? ... can thais tell tourists thais apart?????

Come on, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the taxi driver was in on it. (1) She presumably picked up the taxi from the bus; (2) She went from bus to ATM; & (3) Her face was unfamiliar to taxi driver. I NEVER have a taxi (or anybody else) take me to an ATM.

The only thing I don't believe is that she is a tourist coming to Pattaya for a holiday.

She's probably a supportee awaiting the arrival of one of her supporters. Who takes 2 cellphones on holiday? Where is her luggage?

So if she is a farang and gets mugged at an ATM, then its a blight on Thailand. But if she is a Thai with 10,000 baht then she's a whore! You people amaze me! So what if the story is false, she got mugged. 3 of these all over Bangkok in the last few days, one woman fighting for her life... show a bit of respect!

Oz

The only thing I don't believe is that she is a tourist coming to Pattaya for a holiday.

She's probably a supportee awaiting the arrival of one of her supporters. Who takes 2 cellphones on holiday? Where is her luggage?

2nd para "Her luggage was lying next to her on the ground."

http://www.pattayaone.net/news/2009/septem..._01_09_52.shtml

<H3 align=left>Bizarre update on Jomtien ATM assault and robbery case.

</H3>

Pattaya, September 1 [PATTAYA ONE NEWS] : An interesting update now on a story we featured yesterday regarding the young woman who was allegedly attacked after she had withdrawn 10,000 Baht from an ATM machine located on Jomtien Beach Road. Following an investigation into the case by Dongtan Police Station, we can now reveal that it appears the entire story was completely fabricated. A security camera close to the ATM machine in question was checked and the woman had not withdrawn any money from it and further checks into the woman indicates she had a history of making up stories to gain sympathy and donations of money. This was further supported by her mysterious disappearance from Hospital on Monday after doctors could find nothing physically wrong with her. We are now happy to name the woman who is Khun Wimon aged 23 from Chang Rai in the North of Thailand. Police tell us she has been involved in cases of deception in Bang Saen and in Supanburi Province which is located North-West of Bangkok. Local Police are now preparing an arrest warrant for Khun Wimon based on charges of fraud and wasting Police time.

An interesting twist!!

:)

Any Thai girl with "game" is going to have 2 phones. :D

The luggage was strewn around her when the BIB arrived. :D

Oops. Just read the update. Naughty girl. :)

Edited by bobbin

The real sad part about this type of story is that it reinforces the idea that so many people cannot be trusted.

Actually, when I saw the pic of her in the hospital holding her stomach, I thought that it must have been quite a punch as she appeared doubled over somewhat and she could not lie flat on her back. I guess it was just an act! :)

TheWalkingMan

2nd para "Her luggage was lying next to her on the ground."

Thanks for pointing that out. You're a genius!

I'm not talking about a handbag with 2 cellphones and cash. I'm talking about luggage that most tourists bring with them on vacation...with clothes etc.

How come I don't believe this story ?... :)

Hmmm

LaoPo

So, I was correct.

Having read the update I suppose the girl is (mentally) sick/disturbed; sad.

LaoPo

thats terrible., but how did they know she was a tourist ????? ... can thais tell tourists thais apart?????

Come on, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the taxi driver was in on it. (1) She presumably picked up the taxi from the bus; (2) She went from bus to ATM; & (3) Her face was unfamiliar to taxi driver. I NEVER have a taxi (or anybody else) take me to an ATM.

even the entire story turned out to be fabricated, I agree with the statement above.

there is a SCB-ATM at the NAA SOI (head of the Soi, for those not understanding Thai) where I live , but I would NEVER EVER withdraw money from there, even during daytime, as it's just next to the place where the motocy-taxi-drivers hang out.

this would be just an invitation or reminder like: "hey, I am a Farang and have cash with me now, probably two or three times as much as you guys earn in one month"

This gives the already dangerous Jomtien a worse name.Just started to go drinking once a wekk there again and feel a bad atmosphere there,especialy the beach area,which i only drove past and saw how dark that side was,and many trucks with thais playing loud music and drinking heavy.

So if she is a farang and gets mugged at an ATM, then its a blight on Thailand. But if she is a Thai with 10,000 baht then she's a whore! You people amaze me! So what if the story is false, she got mugged. 3 of these all over Bangkok in the last few days, one woman fighting for her life... show a bit of respect!

Oz

Gentlemen ... and in most cases I use the term very loosely,

One of the responses (above) refers to a friend of mine, Dougie Riach, who was told two days ago that the life support machine which was keeping his wife alive was to be switched off, and that his wife would then be allowed to die naturally. This is the lady who had had her bag snatched last week by being pulled to the ground by motorcycle bagsnatchers, with the tragic outcome that she was left in a coma.

I think it is dispicable for any of you to twist these stories in the way that you do. Leave the victims alone. If you have nothing better to do than cast asperions on innoent victime of crime, then I feel sorry for you.

I am signing off from TV permanently as I have no further desire to listen to any of your shit!

The real sad part about this type of story is that it reinforces the idea that so many people cannot be trusted.

Actually, when I saw the pic of her in the hospital holding her stomach, I thought that it must have been quite a punch as she appeared doubled over somewhat and she could not lie flat on her back. I guess it was just an act! :)

TheWalkingMan

yes,trust is the hardest commodity to find in this world today,from politicians,bankers,religious leaders,supposed friends,loved ones,the list goes on,and oh yes little girls at atm machines.

No, not a chump, just not a cynical prat

Signing off forever only leaves the mess around here, at least fight a bit before going slowly into the sunset, some people need reminding that empathy and sympathy are still good qualities in a person. Not just all to often lip service. I'm disappointed as usual.

Oz