Expat Scot Mugged In Thailand Losing Fight For Life

churchill

Tragic and senseless and my heart goes out to the family.

I find the Thai criminal issue has 2 problems

1. as discussed, the frequency and nature of Thai crimes and the BIB response.

2. not discussed. The treatment of the criminals. Soooo few seem to get prison terms, as if caught they are freed on bail and abscond and that's if they even get as far as having a court case planned.

We know and read about the many crimes, but we don't know, as records are not published or easily available and neither followed up, about the outcomes.

I have lost count of the number of times a crime is committed by someone who did the same thing months earlier or who was out on bail awaiting a court hearing or had absconded while on bail or who had bribed freedom when the case publicity died down etc etc.

The typical scenario is......they offend...they do/do not get caught....if caught after a suitable amout of time any follow up will find they are completely free again or possibly "out on bail"..............they abscond if any real chance of police/court action or we next hear about them when another crime is reported and their previous status/criminal record revealed.

All these Thai teenagers running around with guns and those that get hauled into Police stations are found a week or 3 later, back on the streets running around with guns and this goes for most other areas of criminal activity and arrests. It's endemic and futile if this obvious weakness in proper prosecutions is not addressed. The standard and base level should be raised with less "out on bail" and treating many more crimes with a higher standard of prosecution.

Stop keep allowing this scum back out on the streets!!

The system stinks for all but the most publicised cases!! The rest are let go (one way or another) to reoffend.

Edited by twix38

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lets all be clear and honest those of us living in this country know only too well how the law works or doesn't work here. If you want the Police the launch a serious investigation into catching criminals (particularly Thefts and muggings) you are "whistling in the wind" to use an idiom. Law enforcement , investigation on a lower level is not a priority. PERIOD.

How many people living here would expect a thorough investigation if they were murdered? It would be a Thai style investigation.. :) enough said.

Condolences to the Lydia and my prayers for her and family.

Before you start generalising about how lawless your hosts are, maybe you should read about a recent murder trial in Ranong that saw three Thais convicted of murdering a Canadian expat.

I don't buy that inference.

What do think would have happened to the mudrerous trio if Dale didn't have Mary-Jane & Richard fighting for justice as well as the media pressure on the police & judiciary in Ranong?

As it was, they were out on bail for 18 months and the shooter was up on a similar charge a week or so before the Dale Henry trial.

Bail should have been set at 10 million bt for each of them. :D

It is heart wrenching to hear of another motorcycle bag snatch gone wrong. My heart goes out to the lady and her family.

Sadly as economic times pinch I believe we are going to see more of this sort of thing happening. This incident highlights this sort of act that I have witnessed happening in Thailand and more specifically Bangkok for the more that 20 years I have been here.

You would be amazed the number of people that carry large amounts of cash and valuables around with them every day! For no real reason! I know it feels nice to have a large chunck of change in your bag to go about town but it is asking for trouble. Leave it at home and take plastic or if you see something expensive leave a deposit and go home and get your cash to return later.

If you are carrying a bag make sure it is held in front of you or not on the traffic side and is held securely at all times!

Do I need to tell you that Tuk Tuks are like cookies to motorcycle riding thieves. Keep you valuables in the middle of the seat and on the floor between your feet held firmly when riding Tuk Tuks. If you are carrying a lot of money for some reason TAKE A TAXI!

Again my heart goes out to this poor lady and her family. I just hope my advice can help readers of this thread prevent such an incident happening that I see so regularly.

BB

Edited by Badbanker

Bag- and necklace- and whatever snatching is common in our soi.

Police say there's nothing they can do about.

The only thing one can do is trying to stay alert 24/7 at 360 degrees.

Thoughts go out to the family.

Have personally experienced this, gf on back of motor bike in Pattaya had chain snatched, and we pranged. Police could not even be bothered to take a report, and that is why this is so common, the perps know the BIB's are too damned lazy to step outside the police station. Thing is is is so easy to stop, because most of the perps have no plates on their bikes, so just start pulling them over, ans take their names!

Come on BIB's - get the message - you are there to stamp this out!!!!!!!!!

Just try walking down the road wearing a gold chain these days, and look at all those hungry eyes.

This "trick" of bag-snatching from the back of a motorbike has been injuring tourists and Thais alike for years!

I personally know several people injured by these scum, who know full well there are going to hurt people by deliberately causing the victims motorbikes to crash.

Perhaps this poor Scottish lady's injuries might be the tipping point. There are many ways, chiefly informants I would think. for the police to catch the perps. It is frustrating to see the Thai government fail to protect the people, both foreign and Thai. Not to mention the self-interest of protecting a revenue stream from tourism. Each of these events is talked about by the victims and results in a perceived bad crime problem in Thailand.

Come on, criminals operate everywhere. Thailand is not half as dangerous as Europe or let alone the US where people get mugged all the time and have on top of that an brainless government that allow their citizens guns. Thailand is a heaven in comparison with other countries. Though this kind of robbers you will find in any society, she was unlucky and statistics are simply working against her, that is sad for her and her family but does not Thailand and cowboy country.

That's why the overhaul of the police department is way overdue :)

Maybe, Mr Losangels, you could suggest to the police a way that they could eradicate this problem from Thailand rather than suggesting an overhaul. Not a very inspired response.

It is also one of the most common forms of theft in HCMC, where I now live. There's not a lot the police here can do, either. I can't see a way to stop it. Can you?

Did any Thai newspapers or other news reports further specifiy the location of this attack? One should be careful everywhere and at all times, but Bangkok City Centre covers a very large area.

It happened in one of the small roads leading off Sukhumvit Soi 22.

Thanks for the information. Lots of small, narrow sois in this area. Easy for muggers who know these small sois to make a quick escape, and not many witnesses.

Dangerous area! I was also walking on the second sub soi (2) off 22, towards HBTP one evening (just opp Jewish center) with a Farang ladyfriend, when a pair of snatchers sped by on the sidewalk side of her and grabbed her bag. she hung on, even though they tore the strap & sped off without anything. Far too fast to see a plate!

Another Thai lady friend a few days ago, withdrew cash from ATM & a lurking bike with 2 guys wearing full face helmets, came up behind her and grabbed her wallet as she was inserting it into her bag. They must have been casing the machines!

The next day, a friend of a friend was talking on a new fancy phone in front of the main Villa supermarket near soi 33 when yet another mo-bike sped by and snatched his phone right out of his hand!

PLEASE be vigilant people, especially at ATM's, with all valuables in public and hold your bags on a side away from traffic. These seem to be happening more and more.

Some undercover police plants will be a fantastic idea to catch & make a very big example, to be trumpeted in the press. Also a substantially large reward offered with anonymity to the informer, may get some greedy small minded offenders to turn in their partners who didn't share enough of the 'buty' with them. It could also inspire more local vigilantees to try and catch some for the glory & reward. For a long time, the authorities have offered rewards and protection for locals who turn in drug users, especially foreigners, which tempts & sets up locals to try and sell then turn in their customers for even more profit!

Lets all be clear and honest those of us living in this country know only too well how the law works or doesn't work here. If you want the Police the launch a serious investigation into catching criminals (particularly Thefts and muggings) you are "whistling in the wind" to use an idiom. Law enforcement , investigation on a lower level is not a priority. PERIOD.

How many people living here would expect a thorough investigation if they were murdered? It would be a Thai style investigation.. :) enough said.

Condolences to the Lydia and my prayers for her and family.

Before you start generalising about how lawless your hosts are, maybe you should read about a recent murder trial in Ranong that saw three Thais convicted of murdering a Canadian expat.

I don't buy that inference.

What do think would have happened to the mudrerous trio if Dale didn't have Mary-Jane & Richard fighting for justice as well as the media pressure on the police & judiciary in Ranong?

As it was, they were out on bail for 18 months and the shooter was up on a similar charge a week or so before the Dale Henry trial.

Bail should have been set at 10 million bt for each of them. :D

I agree, Gungadin

There was a lot of behind the scenes activity and the two cases can not be compared.

The generalisation is still unfortunately very valid.

In response to some of the comments regarding my post:

4) As for the "30 seconds". Take any man, or woman, who has been studying martial arts for over 30 years as I have, put 4 "assailants" (who have no idea of what they are up against) within "arms reach", and I can pretty much guarantee that it will take 30 seconds or less to be over with.

:) ok ok, if you say so ....................... now go back to your video game.

Anyway, to get back on topic - 2 weeks earlier, exactly the same happened to a Thai friend of mine on exactly the same soi, so please don't just say this is only against farangs - it is a circumstance of a lot of things and pretty much anyone can be a target.

Irrespective of what you believe, I can also vouch that it is more than possible, as when I was working in the Prison Service one of our C & R and riot training instructors was ex-special forces. Not a big man at all, but seriously you would not want to fuc_k with him.

Anyway, as it is I hope that the criminals involved in this are bought to justice quickly, a terrible shame for this to happen to such decent people.

That's why the overhaul of the police department is way overdue :)

Maybe, Mr Losangels, you could suggest to the police a way that they could eradicate this problem from Thailand rather than suggesting an overhaul. Not a very inspired response.

It is also one of the most common forms of theft in HCMC, where I now live. There's not a lot the police here can do, either. I can't see a way to stop it. Can you?

Technically the police report to the prime minister. Getting the police to take reports on these attacks every time would be a start

Many attacks are from unplated bikes. Start stopping unplaters and getting names

Use decoy police as traps.

They could do something about the small fry, but if part of a bigger organised ring they would as on eposter said be whistling in the wind so they have to turna blind eye. Sad but true.

4) As for the "30 seconds". Take any man, or woman, who has been studying martial arts for over 30 years as I have, put 4 "assailants" (who have no idea of what they are up against) within "arms reach", and I can pretty much guarantee that it will take 30 seconds or less to be over with.

Anyway, to get back on topic - 2 weeks earlier, exactly the same happened to a Thai friend of mine on exactly the same soi, so please don't just say this is only against farangs - it is a circumstance of a lot of things and pretty much anyone can be a target.

Irrespective of what you believe, I can also vouch that it is more than possible, as when I was working in the Prison Service one of our C & R and riot training instructors was ex-special forces. Not a big man at all, but seriously you would not want to fuc_k with him.

Anyway, as it is I hope that the criminals involved in this are bought to justice quickly, a terrible shame for this to happen to such decent people.

As a Shotokan Karate exponent I have sworn not to use my skills other than for defence purposes and only then if there is no alternative. I and they would not condone what Just1voice is claiming. Vigilante work is dangerous, stick to video games and writing fiction.

Of course, there is nothing to say except I hope she makes a full and swift recovery.

The news of impending doom of her not recovering is often typical by even Western doctors. I suffered a massive head injury in an RTA and was in a coma for over a month - the medics told my wife to expect the worst (i.e. death). Obviously, they were COMPLETELY wrong.

Come on, criminals operate everywhere. Thailand is not half as dangerous as Europe or let alone the US where people get mugged all the time and have on top of that an brainless government that allow their citizens guns. Thailand is a heaven in comparison with other countries. Though this kind of robbers you will find in any society, she was unlucky and statistics are simply working against her, that is sad for her and her family but does not Thailand and cowboy country.

No, we have something called the 2nd Amendment which gives us the right to bear arms to protect ourselves against an out of control federal gov't (just like what's happening now)...

Besides, it's commonly known that if you outlaw guns only outlaws will have them...

Edited by ballzafire

First, I want to offer my heartfelt condolences to the family. This is a tragedy that never should have happened. Unfortunately, as has been pointed out by others, these types of crimes seem to increase as the economy worsens, and there really is very little the police can do about it.

Second, about 6 months ago an American expat was buying a new gold necklace for his wife at the Tesco/Lotus on the way to Hang Dong. This individual is not an imposing figure at 172 cm tall and 66k, with a slender, athletic build, even at the age of 60. As he was closing out the sale he noticed two young Thai boys who seemed to be taking an interest in him. He pretended to not to notice, while keeping an eye on them. As he left the store and headed to his motorbike, out of the corner of his eye he saw the two young men from the store come out and motion to two other men about their ages who were straddling motorbikes. The man went to his own bike, which happens to be a new CBR 150, and pulled out of the parking area wearing his full helmet as if nothing in the world was wrong. As soon as he pulled out onto the highway he saw the 2 motorbikes following him. He gradually increased his speed until he reached the intersection of the highway which would take him home. He gunned the bike around the curve, went about 200 meters and then stopped and got off the bike, removing his helmet, and waited for them.

Sure enough, they came around the corner, and when they saw him standing there they just laughed and stopped their own bikes and got off, thinking they had easy pickings. It took less than 30 seconds to be over with. The police were then called and soon arrived, and then the ambulances, which took the 4 young men to the hospital.

It turns out that the "little old farang" they targeted had spent 20 years in Special Forces, and now unofficially works as a self-defense martial arts instructor for a local police unit. Naturally he had to go to the station to file a report as to what happened, but was not arrested or charged with anything, while the 4 boys were charged with assault and attempted theft. As one officer put it: "They picked the wrong farang to f _ _ k with!"

This story never made the news, but I can vouch for it because that farang was me.

What a complete load of cr*p. Lucky we have another member of the elite special forces retired to Thailand. :)

As for the injured Scot - sad story.

Same thing happened to me two months ago. I was standing at the bus stop with my Ipod Touch, when a hand reached out from no where to grab it. I could have caught up with the thief on a motorbike if any of the other motorcyclists around had stopped to pick me up, and other motorists around could have blocked his escape, but they just continued as if nothing had happened.

I wish her speedy recovery.

Shame this had to happen.

As usual nothing in the English language press.

This should be properly reported as it affects tourists and expats.

Now i need to add yet another warning when the family comes to town.

:) ....reporting such things in the english press in thailand? must be kidding. more effective if you email them back home to your farang press and let the press at home do the job. :D

Edited by yarm

Simply terrible. I have also known a few people that have had their handbags, mobile phones, or other possessions snatched from them by motorcycle thieves. Fortunately none of them were seriously injured. I have also heard of guys that like to cop a feel on the girls while they are robbing them, making the experience far more traumatic for the victim.

As a Shotokan Karate exponent I have sworn not to use my skills other than for defence purposes and only then if there is no alternative. I and they would not condone what Just1voice is claiming. Vigilante work is dangerous, stick to video games and writing fiction.

I don't condone vigilantism either, but I also don't see what he did that way.

He saw he was being followed by 4 guys who clearly were stalking him.

If he remained riding they could easily kick the bike and knock him off,

and cause more damage to him, leaving him at a disadvantage.

Defense while riding isn't as easy as picking your own ground for the coming fight.

So he stopped and they attacked him, he didn't attack them...

he just finished the fight quickly.

Vigilantism would be to get friends and go to the kids homes and beat them up.

Mugging victim dies in Thailand

"An Inverness woman who was mugged in Thailand a week ago has died in a Bangkok hospital.

Lydia Riach was to be cremated at a Thai temple after being pronounced dead on Sunday evening."

Source: BBC

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 7 September 2009

Tragic and senseless and my heart goes out to the family.

I find the Thai criminal issue has 2 problems

1. as discussed, the frequency and nature of Thai crimes and the BIB response.

2. not discussed. The treatment of the criminals. Soooo few seem to get prison terms, as if caught they are freed on bail and abscond and that's if they even get as far as having a court case planned.

We know and read about the many crimes, but we don't know, as records are not published or easily available and neither followed up, about the outcomes.

I have lost count of the number of times a crime is committed by someone who did the same thing months earlier or who was out on bail awaiting a court hearing or had absconded while on bail or who had bribed freedom when the case publicity died down etc etc.

The typical scenario is......they offend...they do/do not get caught....if caught after a suitable amout of time any follow up will find they are completely free again or possibly "out on bail"..............they abscond if any real chance of police/court action or we next hear about them when another crime is reported and their previous status/criminal record revealed.

All these Thai teenagers running around with guns and those that get hauled into Police stations are found a week or 3 later, back on the streets running around with guns and this goes for most other areas of criminal activity and arrests. It's endemic and futile if this obvious weakness in proper prosecutions is not addressed. The standard and base level should be raised with less "out on bail" and treating many more crimes with a higher standard of prosecution.

Stop keep allowing this scum back out on the streets!!

The system stinks for all but the most publicised cases!! The rest are let go (one way or another) to reoffend.

To be honest this "stinking system" could equally apply to where I originate from.

C'mon wrecker,

The UK is no where near as bad as Thailand for street robberies and murder etc. You can't move in the UK for being watched 24/7 by C.C.T.V. everywhere. The British Bobby still patrols the streets albeit not as often as they used to, this is all down to paperwork when they have arrested a suspect. But you can always see Police horses walking around villages and Towns with the Mounted Officers prepared to deal with a situation should they be required to do so.

Most violent crimes in the UK are drug related. The UK Police are always requesting search warrants and searching suspects properties with Police drugs detection dogs, Task force Officers and of course Officers from the Drug squad. They Police in plain unmarked Police vehicles. Most of the Police areas do now have a Helicopter which can be up and in the air within less than 2 minutes, and reach most areas within a matter of around 10 minutes or so equipped with GPS, Infra red, Video and a search light that could easily light up a football stadium. Radio communications to their force's Operations room and to the troops on the ground.

How many Police Officers do you see walking around in Thailand? How many Police dogs do you see? How many Police horses do you see? How many Police helicopters do you see flying? I haven't seen any. I'll tell you what I have seen though, and that is off-duty Police Officers' using Police vehicles to take their families to a Restaurant for their dinners etc. Again I have seen off duty Police Officers' using Police vehicles to travel to parties and getting p***ed and then driving home. So how can they perform and give the public the service that they deserve when there are no Police vehicles available for Police Officers' on-duty to use or the Officers are too inebraited to do anything! But then again on a 12,000 Baht per month salary and having to pay for all of their equipment with the exception of fuel, and having to work until they are 60 years of age, what can we expect? 3-4 Policemen sat underneath a shaded large Police Motorcyclist helmet at Traffic light controlled junctions preying on the unsuspected motorists for a bribe. As someone eariler said, "Why don't plain clothes Policemen walk around the well known thieiving areas wearing fake gold and do sting operations." That would soon get the message home especially if they appeared before court with 'No bail' being granted and a 6-10 years prison sentence.

But! You get what you pay for!

Edited by Pitbullman1

Thai bag-snatch pair leave Scottish mum in a coma

The Sun

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle2626258.ece

Thai bag-snatch pair leave Scottish mum in a coma

By GORDON TAIT

Published: 01 Sep 2009

A SCOTS mum was last night fighting for life after she was left in a coma following a street robbery in Thailand.

Lydia Riach's skull was shattered when she was dragged to the ground by two muggers who snatched her handbag from a motorbike.

And doctors have warned hubby Douglas they do not expect her to survive.

The couple were on their way to a Scots expats' bar in Bangkok when the thieves struck.

Distraught Douglas, 57, said: "They don't think Lydia will last the week. Her skull was fractured externally in two places as well as internally. "She was bleeding from the ears and there were fragments of bone coming out of her ears as well. "She is in a coma and we have been trying to talk to her but now she only has one eye open and is not responding to light."

Lydia, 58 - who is on a ventilator - had her handbag around her neck and shoulder before Saturday's attack. She was dragged along the road by the thugs and knocked unconscious as they sped off.

The couple's children Patricia and Roger were last night on their way to Thailand.

Patricia's husband Nicol Adie said: "It is a really difficult time for the family."

A family friend, who did not wish to be named, said: "It doesn't sound very good for Lydia. The family fear the worst."

Douglas moved to Bangkok to work as a financial consultant two years ago. Lydia joined him a year later to work helping underprivileged kids.

Another close pal told how the couple, of Inverness, were well-liked and locals there were shocked by reports of Lydia's condition. They said Douglas used to be PA announcer at First Division Caley Thistle's matches and was a keen rally driver while Lydia had worked in schools and supermarkets. The friend added: "She was devoted to her family and loved returning to see them."

A local at the Twenty Two ex-pats' club in Bangkok said: "These kind of assaults are on the increase as the economic crisis worsens."

A Foreign Office spokesman confirmed a "British woman was seriously injured in a mugging incident"

Scot dies after Thai mugging

THAI detectives have launched a murder hunt after the Scots mum left in a coma by brutal Bangkok muggers died in hospital.

Tragic expat Lydia Riach was surrounded by her devastated family as she slipped away "at peace" - eight days after the horror street attack.

The 58-year-old, from Inverness, had her skull shattered when she was dragged along the ground by bag-snatching motorbike bandits.

Last night her heartbroken husband Douglas, 57, said: "She passed away peacefully. I will return home with her ashes on Friday."

Lydia died in the Thai capital's Police Hospital on Sunday.

And she was due to be cremated yesterday in a traditional temple in Klong Toey.

The couple had moved to Thailand to start a new life two years ago.

post-11344-1252415156_thumb.jpg