Thailand At Global Forefront Of Digital Cameras

george

Thailand at global forefront of digital camera boon

BANGKOK: -- Thailand is emerging as one of the leading countries in the world for sales of digital cameras, with one million units set to leave the shelves this year, thanks to government tax measures, according to a key industry professional.

Mr. Boonjert Hanwichitchai, deputy director for operations of IT City Plc, says that the digital camera market in Thailand is set to record a high rate of growth this year, with sales expected to exceed one million units, compared to 800,000 last year and 600,000 in 2003.

Predicting that Thailand could become a global centre of the digital camera trade, he notes that all the world’s leading digital camera manufacturers are now keen to get their latest models onto the Thai market, while increasing numbers of foreigners are purchasing digital cameras during their trips to the kingdom.

One of the main causes of this latter phenomenon is the government’s tax refund scheme for foreign visitors, as well as a recent move to slash taxes on digital cameras from 3 percent to zero percent.

As a result, digital cameras purchased in Thailand now even cheaper than those bought in Singapore and Hong Kong.

--TNA 2005-03-14

Notice that this is the measure of people BUYING digital cameras, not manufacture, added-value.

The tourists probably account for a large proportion of these, and with a VAT refund they do work out about as low as anywhere in SE Asia. Singapore prices are about the same - don't know how HK measures up these days. Malaysia and Indonesia were competitive prices, but slightly older models (talking about Sept. last year).

Have only had Bangkok and Singapore comparisons this year.

Do not buy in the airport - too expensive. Cheaper in BKK, plus a VAT refund.

Singapore prices are about the same - don't know how HK measures up these days.

I bought a camera in HK at the start of January that was still 30% more expensive when I noticed it in a shop in Bangkok last week. And that was without the memory card I got thrown in for free in HK... Admittedly I didn't haggle in Bangkok so don't know how much the price would have come down.

The big advantage that HK has over Singapore and Bangkok is that there is no VAT/GST to refund. I don't know about here but in Singapore, the 'handling fee' for the GST refund takes a large chunk out of it - you definitely don't get the full 5% back.

speaking of which, what is the most rock-bottom price for a reputable digital camera with even the most basic of functions that anyone has seen?

Its not just the features it is even more the quality of the image sensor per se (not just how many megs) I had a Minolta (reputable?) , metal case built like a Rolls Royce but took worse pictures than a much cheaper Olympus I also owned. I would not now buy a digital camera without a good recommendation or experience of it.

well I bought a pentax opti 5i in sing at the beginning of the month for 600sing dollars with a 128 card thrown in. I could not claim the 5% vat as I had been working there and have not checked the prices of them in panthip.

but the prices for mem cards here in BKK are higher than in sing , I went looking for a 1 gig SD for my PPC and they should have been sub 3k baht , but the cheapest was 3.2 k baht. I bought a 1gig CF card in sing in january and it cost me 116 sing dollars or about 2.7k baht.

as a side note if anyone is interested I saw a 4gig CF on the 4th floor north eastern corner and he wanted 10k baht for it.