Animals Used For Photo Ops In Patong

phuketrex

Thankfully no snakes or birds of prey used these days and the iguana lizards have been around for some time but 2 nights ago I had something different thrust in my face by a Thai man for a photo op on Bangla Road..a slow loris>>>

loris.jpg

Sure they are cute and cuddly but I'm sure he's doing it illegally. Also there is another guy back with what I think is a gibbon. If enough people report this to the links below maybe something will be done about it.

From the Gibbon Rehab project site>>>

PLEASE DO NOT HAVE YOUR PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN WITH GIBBONS!

There are numerous gibbons being used as tourist attractions on Phuket. By paying to have your photo taken with a gibbon you are helping these people to reduce the numbers of wild gibbons and cause suffering to this beautiful animal. Gibbons ensure the health and vitality of the rainforests in which they live. Therefore, their survival must be ensured far into the future. Gibbons are threatened by loss of habitat, but also increasingly, by hunting and the illegal pet market. Remember, each cute baby gibbon you see at a market or beach had its mother shot dead by poachers. This loss destroys the family group forever.

This is where you can help. Don’t have your photograph taken with a gibbon or use the bars they are kept in and don’t buy baby gibbons anywhere. Report any poaching activity seen or heard to the National Park Headquarters or the Natural Resources and Environment Crime Division ([email protected]). You can report it directly to DNP through their website http://www.dnp.go.th/complain/index.asp

If we work together we can try and stop this trade.

Last time myself and a few friends started a letter wrting campaign to the gazette on this issue.. After a couple of weeks they printed a couple of letters and IIRC there was an editorial, and a number to call if the touts were seen.. Soon after they left Bangla (seen in Chaweng so not really a success !!)..

Maybe another way to apply pressure.

Last time myself and a few friends started a letter wrting campaign to the gazette on this issue.. After a couple of weeks they printed a couple of letters and IIRC there was an editorial, and a number to call if the touts were seen.. Soon after they left Bangla (seen in Chaweng so not really a success !!)..

Thwe last time I saw apes on bangala I ran strait to the police box near the beach and grabed a bib who reluctenly followed me making a mobile call on route, so by the time we got to crocodile they had gone.

If I get the chance next time I would take a snap not of the monkey but the handler and well give to the cops, a waste of time, but also try to get it published as wide as possible.

These guys are total scum, if you have visited the sanctuary you would know why.

Good on ya LivinLOS. Sadly, I can confirm I saw one in Chewang a few weeks ago.

A few years ago there was a gibbon in a cage IFO a shop in Kata. I emailed the gibbon project and in a week it was gone. In a month so was the cage. I receantly saw a guy with a couple of birds of prey at Karon Viewpoint. He was trying to make it look like he was part of a conservancy or something, but I had my doubts.

I noticed that over the years certain activities such as bootleg DVD sellers and very small flower boys and girls which are out working all night seem to have migrated away from high profile Patong into surrounding areas.

Edited by Scubabuddha

The guy at Kata used to roam Bangla at the same time with the eagles.. He was moved on but I was told in a latter communication (telling someone thats where he was now touting) that he had asked for and got licenses for them.

This is something that collectively we have a chance of effecting.. Personally I ALWAYS make a point of verbally letting them know whenever I see them in Bangla and the same at tourists taking pictures with them.. They have acted threatening when I put off their customers but they soon piss off as they dont need the attention of a full on confrontation. Of course I will probably get a hiding one night staggering home but thems the price of (some) morals.

The guy at Kata used to roam Bangla at the same time with the eagles.. He was moved on but I was told in a latter communication (telling someone thats where he was now touting) that he had asked for and got licenses for them.

This is something that collectively we have a chance of effecting.. Personally I ALWAYS make a point of verbally letting them know whenever I see them in Bangla and the same at tourists taking pictures with them.. They have acted threatening when I put off their customers but they soon piss off as they dont need the attention of a full on confrontation. Of course I will probably get a hiding one night staggering home but thems the price of (some) morals.

We had a thread about the Eagles at Kata Viewpoint some years ago. They are still there, and the last time I passed a carload of police were having a smiley chat with the handler. Just got their weekly , I expect

If you are appalled by the treatment of animals in Phuket you should look at "Chinese Fur Farms" on Google..there you will see real horror.

Last year one of the foreign Tourist Police Volunteers got his photo taken with both gibbon and owner, (the TPV was in 'I'm a tourist' clothes!). A report was made and the photos handed to the Thai police. You can guess what happened = a big nothing :)

When I used to patrol in Patong, I would keep an eye open for the gibbon guy outside Banana Disco. He would duck out of site and put his gibbon in his bag if he spotted me. I don't know why he bothered because I had no authority to detain him and the Thai police clearly couldn't give a flying <deleted> to detain him either.

All in all, a sad situation that needs some good shaming publicity. But it has to be said that many Asian tourists see nothing wrong in this type of animal exploitation.

Simon

Last year one of the foreign Tourist Police Volunteers got his photo taken with both gibbon and owner, (the TPV was in 'I'm a tourist' clothes!). A report was made and the photos handed to the Thai police. You can guess what happened = a big nothing :)

When I used to patrol in Patong, I would keep an eye open for the gibbon guy outside Banana Disco. He would duck out of site and put his gibbon in his bag if he spotted me. I don't know why he bothered because I had no authority to detain him and the Thai police clearly couldn't give a flying <deleted> to detain him either.

All in all, a sad situation that needs some good shaming publicity. But it has to be said that many Asian tourists see nothing wrong in this type of animal exploitation.

Simon

Simon did you quit the TPV's then? I'm glad in a way because now I know it wasn't you who I saw get a free meal at the Bangla Pizza Company the other day. Two TPV's there, one tried to pay but staff said no. At least they tried to pay.

Nice tip-off by the poster, but I disagree with the use of the word 'photo-op' as the thread heading, although only on semantic grounds.

I'm curious why? I knew exactly what the thread was about before reading it, but I guess that wasn't your issue. What's wrong with "photo-op"?

Simon

Simon, as someone who has a rolodex of contacts.. Who do you think would be most likely to respond to pressure, or to act, or to help us apply pressure where needed.

I know its weird in a 3rd world country surrounded by actual human problems. But this issue really annoys me.

I'm curious why? I knew exactly what the thread was about before reading it, but I guess that wasn't your issue. What's wrong with "photo-op"?

Yeah also confused ?? They use them for photo opportunities for tourists and make them pay..

I am wondering whats not right about that in your interpretation.

I have only seen western tourists getting their pictures taken with these animals, and there is no point in saying anything as the humans' IQ is on par with the animal's.

One approach you may wish to consider in respect to to the slow lorus or the gibbon is that of the Health Protection Act. These are primates and as such can be reservoirs of disease that impacts humans. (Especially since the captors probably don't visit the vet.) The local medical officer is supposed to act to prevent unauthorized contact beween humans and other primates. Never seen it done in Thailand, but all it takes is one memo from the Chief Medical Officer. With the current jitters over the potential harm swine flu may cause to the tourism sector, the health authority is super sensitive of late.

You may wish to consider shooting off an email to some reputable public interest groups that love a chance to use a sad story for their own interests. The World Wildlife Fund is good at that. The slow loris is one of the animals championed by the WWF, so you may get a sympathetic hearing and some well connected clout. The BBC will often do a story on a subject like this, so it's worth an email too.

Sadly, the only way to obtain a reaction from the local authorities is if there is bad press. I don't think the The Phuket governor wants to see any negative articles and a story like this in a foreign news source might elicit a response.

I was sat with 2 mates at a bar in Soi Crocodile last night and the slow loris man came up to us and put the loris on my mates' shoulder. I started telling my mate to get his phone out and to take a picture of the guy but thought better of it as I didn't want to start a confrontation right there. Seems he is around the Bangla bars every night with it.

I have reported it to the Gibbon Rehab Project because they care for loris's there as well as the gibbons but not heard anything back from them.

By the way>>>

Slow lorises can produce a toxin which they mix with their saliva and use as protection against enemies. Mothers will lick this toxin onto their offspring before leaving them to search for food. The toxin is produced by glands on the insides of their elbows - the brachial region. The lorises suck it into their mouths and deliver it when they bite or lick. Loris bites cause a painful swelling, and the toxin has been fatal to humans.

1136 is the Forestry/Wildlife Deptartment number. NOt sure what happens if you call it but should be more then Patong Police.

By the way .. my neighbor has a civet in a cage. Breaks my heart everytime I see it. There is like 1 branch in the metal cage and that is all........

We live in jungle, so if it was set free would it have a chance to survive?

Would it kill my cats??

I looked up Civet care on google and got instructions on how to raise only to kill and that they eat dog and cat meet. It was a Vietnamese website.

Simon

Simon did you quit the TPV's then? I'm glad in a way because now I know it wasn't you who I saw get a free meal at the Bangla Pizza Company the other day. Two TPV's there, one tried to pay but staff said no. At least they tried to pay.

Nice tip-off by the poster, but I disagree with the use of the word 'photo-op' as the thread heading, although only on semantic grounds.

Re: photo-op

My understanding is that a 'photo-op' is a media-created event designed to create positive publicity, but what goes on in Patong is more like a "Kodak moment" for the ignorant and/or uneducated, with $$$, not publicity, the driving force...

Scubbabuddha, OT and very briefly - I got a software job in Pattaya in April, so cannot work in Phuket right now - I've started doing my volunteer translation work in BKK instead. I miss Phuket a lot, but the threat of being stalked by my ex still haunts me.....

The Pizza Company is the Phuket TPV's 'homebase' and although they always refuse payment for water/coke, I doubt if a deep pan ham and pineapple pizza with extra cheese topping would be provided free of charge!

It's clear that the Thai TP are not bothered by complaints to them about this Loris or the gibbons. Perhaps they need to be 'embarressed' in public to persuade them to perform their duties...

Simon

The Pizza Company is the Phuket TPV's 'homebase' and although they always refuse payment for water/coke, I doubt if a deep pan ham and pineapple pizza with extra cheese topping would be provided free of charge!

Simon

Yeah, ok, I didn't see what they were eating/drinking.

I'm not sure what else we can do about the illegal use of animals here.

Public shaming is maybe the best way forward. Make sure that international animal welfare organisations know about this Loris/Gibbon, and make sure that they also know that the Thai TP know, but do nothing to stop it. It seems the only way to get some action is by loss of face. (Frustrating, isn't it?)

Simon

Public shaming is maybe the best way forward. Make sure that international animal welfare organisations know about this Loris/Gibbon, and make sure that they also know that the Thai TP know, but do nothing to stop it. It seems the only way to get some action is by loss of face. (Frustrating, isn't it?)

Simon

Same ending as we had with the kata Viewpoint Eagles years ago,

they are still there and the fuzz take their weeklies I suspect

so they will still be there while there is money to be made and it's an easy living.

And I've written letters to Elephant protection people and never had a reply.

Some of the elephants in Phuket are shamefully treated.

Look at the poor baby above The Meridien Hotel on the Patong /Karon road. standing all day chained in a two meter

area with nothing to do but rock, a sure sign of distress.

Ok so lets concentrate on the local media.. The Post is a rag.. The gazette do publish letters and 'the website that shall not be named' may well take something on if they thought readers cared about it. Fact is almost everyone I speak to DOES care about this, but dont know how to make those frustrations heard.

Ok so lets concentrate on the local media.. The Post is a rag.. The gazette do publish letters and 'the website that shall not be named' may well take something on if they thought readers cared about it. Fact is almost everyone I speak to DOES care about this, but dont know how to make those frustrations heard.

I kinda get the feeling that if any of these publications rocks the boat too much, there may be consequences. I feel the same way about if any of us really started to make a bruhaha about something that impacted a Thai or Thais making money, there is a chance we may jsut disappear. Has happened before.

• 1 month later...
At least they "have a life" and are properly treated, as your dog would be.

This one didn't share your view>>>

Monkey 'kills cruel owner with coconut thrown from tree'

The animal threw the missile from the top of a tree after becoming frustrated with his tiring labour, according to reports. Leilit Janchoom, 48, had employed the monkey to pick coconuts which he could then sell for around 4p each.

The animal – named Brother Kwan – found the work tedious and strenuous but Mr Janchoom refused to let him rest, dishing out beatings if he refused to climb trees. It is believed that the monkey eventually snapped, and targeted his owner from a high branch with one of the hard-skinned fruits.

Mr Janchoom, from the province of Nakorn Sri Thammarat in Thailand, died on the spot after being struck by the coconut, according to reports in a local newspaper. The dead man's wife said that the monkey had "seemed lovable" when they bought him for £130.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/...-from-tree.html