Animals Used For Photo Ops In Patong

phuketrex

At least they "have a life" and are properly treated, as your dog would be.

This one didn't share your view>>>

Monkey 'kills cruel owner with coconut thrown from tree'

The animal threw the missile from the top of a tree after becoming frustrated with his tiring labour, according to reports. Leilit Janchoom, 48, had employed the monkey to pick coconuts which he could then sell for around 4p each.

The animal – named Brother Kwan – found the work tedious and strenuous but Mr Janchoom refused to let him rest, dishing out beatings if he refused to climb trees. It is believed that the monkey eventually snapped, and targeted his owner from a high branch with one of the hard-skinned fruits.

Mr Janchoom, from the province of Nakorn Sri Thammarat in Thailand, died on the spot after being struck by the coconut, according to reports in a local newspaper. The dead man's wife said that the monkey had "seemed lovable" when they bought him for £130.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/...-from-tree.html

I saw that story back in March. I think it was a rare episode, after all, these monkeys are trained to provide a living for their owners.

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt the perps will get their reptiles back...and iguanas aren't even indigenous to Thailand are they?

Latest I've heard is there is one guy going round Bangla with a kitten! :-(

Also saw a gibbon down at Tri Trang beach yesterday afternoon being used for "entertainment".

Gazette yesterday>>>

PHUKET: A Syrian tourist was stabbed in Patong on Tuesday night after an argument over an iguana turned ugly. Four Thai men were later arrested and charged for the stabbing and face charges of assault and grievous bodily harm.

According to Patong police, four iguana handlers ganged up on Mohammed Imed Arab, 20, after he got into an argument with one of the handlers on Soi Crocodile off Bangla Road.

Police said the Syrian refused to have his picture taken with an iguana when he was approached by one of the handlers. The situation quickly escalated into an argument, which was exacerbated by the language barrier and aggressive body language on both sides.

During the altercation, three other iguana handlers went to assist their friend and the Syrian was stabbed in the right side of his torso with a pocket knife.

The victim escaped his assailants by running into a nearby bar, where staff called police and paramedics.

Mohammed was taken to Patong Hospital and released earlier today.

The four male iguana handlers aged between 18 and 21 years old were arrested later that night in the Patong area. The four admitted to the attack and are due to appear in court to face charges.

No doubt the perps will get their reptiles back...and iguanas aren't even indigenous to Thailand are they?

Latest I've heard is there is one guy going round Bangla with a kitten! :-(

Also saw a gibbon down at Tri Trang beach yesterday afternoon being used for "entertainment".

Gazette yesterday>>>

PHUKET: A Syrian tourist was stabbed in Patong on Tuesday night after an argument over an iguana turned ugly. Four Thai men were later arrested and charged for the stabbing and face charges of assault and grievous bodily harm.

According to Patong police, four iguana handlers ganged up on Mohammed Imed Arab, 20, after he got into an argument with one of the handlers on Soi Crocodile off Bangla Road.

Police said the Syrian refused to have his picture taken with an iguana when he was approached by one of the handlers. The situation quickly escalated into an argument, which was exacerbated by the language barrier and aggressive body language on both sides.

During the altercation, three other iguana handlers went to assist their friend and the Syrian was stabbed in the right side of his torso with a pocket knife.

The victim escaped his assailants by running into a nearby bar, where staff called police and paramedics.

Mohammed was taken to Patong Hospital and released earlier today.

The four male iguana handlers aged between 18 and 21 years old were arrested later that night in the Patong area. The four admitted to the attack and are due to appear in court to face charges.

But not charges for handling iguanas of course?

Outside U2 bar on Bangla is a small red sign at about head height with a symbol of a man holding an iguana, and a white line through it. i.e. No <deleted> iguana blokes please.

Plus some Thai script, which presumably says 'no <deleted> iguana blokes please'

So i'm standing UNDER this sign when who should approach me................sodding iguana bloke !

The iguana turned it's head away from me............i THINK it read the sign................