Norwegian Ex-tourist Police Volunteer Arrested In Pattaya For Drugs Dealing

Rimmer

John Johansen was NOT a member of the Foreign Police Volunteers based at Pattaya Police Station, he was a member of the Foreign Tourist Police Assistants up until about 6 months ago when he was removed from the group.

Over the last 12 months the Foreign Tourist Police Assistants (FTPA) have completely overhauled their entrance procedures and conducted detailed investigations into ALL FTPA, myself included.

So it took 6 months of "investigation" to uncover a heroin dealer within the ranks of the FTPA? What was uncovered about his "past" that led to his dismissal? Also, was anything uncovered about his present state of illegal heroin trafficking or other illegal enterprises such as the strong-arming crooked real estate deals as mentioned previously?

If anything, either past or present, was uncovered during this FTPA background check, was this information given to the proper authorities to conduct a real investigation? Was any effort expended by the FTPA to cooperate with getting this now known criminal off the streets of Pattaya over the past six months? With the FTPA's past experience with running sting operations such as breaking up Uzbekistan prostitute rings, it would have been advantageous to work with the authorities and "sting" him with a drug purchase or hiring him for swindler enforcement. Or, was this criminal simply released from the force with no further follow-up and thus allowed to continue his criminal practices?

Deserves all he gets, he won't be living the high life now. and so confident he was.

I wonder if his Visa's and Work permits he advertised were all Legal.

Looking at his photograph on Facebook, he looks very smart and not the type, but Photographs can lie sometimes.

Most of them ARE smart pattayagirl,as its a falicy to think they are all bald,tatooed hoolie types.I am amazed sometimes when i here who is involved,pity the police dont know or turn a bind eye.The longer i live here the more wary i am of farangs not thais.

HM - keep up the good work mate. Ignore the critics and do your thing - you have all the support that is needed from reasonable people, not the blinkered lot. :D

:) yes, ignore the critics. carry on your good work for the sake of all, especially farangs not well-versed with pattaya police - volunteer and otherwise - "culture". :D

No , there are no checks & in fact USA , France & other Governments would not comply to a background request about their citizens anyway. There has to be an ongoing Formal Transnational Investigation minimum for that to be complied with & from a high level , not a local Police dept or station.

Each citizen can obtain an Official Police Clearance from their own Country (most Countries ) , but, unfortunately the 'quik print' shops around are able to "rectify" them if you know what I mean.

USA & Australia have imprints & seals to stop alteration.

:)

He was very active on several Norwegian asia forums and not very popular from what I read.

Some time ago when he worked with the police he tried to arrest 2 fellow norwegians after a fight and told them they had to pay 200k or they would end up in a thai prison.

Fortunately they had a lawyer friend that put them in contact with the "real" police so they ended up paying 4000 Baht instead of 200k.......

Personally I'm not involved in anything in what the guy has done or not. Nor do I have any first or second hand knowledge of it.

After reading several norwegian forums it seems like this is just the tip of the ice berg.

By the users on www.kaarethai.com he has been accused from several persons for extortion of two norwegians

"John Johansen was NOT a member of the Foreign Police Volunteers based at Pattaya Police Station, he was a member of the Foreign Tourist Police Assistants up until about 6 months ago when he was removed from the group."

And so what? The result is the same, a stupid fat pig with a dark past was recruited to wear a uniform, shame on you.

But luckily for us a new life starts for him soon !

So John Johansen was member of the FPTA in Pattaya and was subsequently dismissed when it was discovered he had a "shady background." IMHO, so far, so good. What would obviously have been much worse would be allowing him to continue in his position with the FTPA.

As a point of comparison, the UK police service currently has over 1,000 officers convicted of crimes ranging from burglary/assault to perverting the course of justice. Convicted whilst serving and still members of the police service.

BTW, the above is not an attempt to slate the UK police service, which I believe does an excellent job overall.

So John Johansen was member of the FPTA in Pattaya and was subsequently dismissed when it was discovered he had a "shady background." IMHO, so far, so good. What would obviously have been much worse would be allowing him to continue in his position with the FTPA.

As a point of comparison, the UK police service currently has over 1,000 officers convicted of crimes ranging from burglary/assault to perverting the course of justice. Convicted whilst serving and still members of the police service.

BTW, the above is not an attempt to slate the UK police service, which I believe does an excellent job overall.

How is that allowed after conviction......!!!!

Edited by Udonfarang52

So it took 6 months of "investigation" to uncover a heroin dealer within the ranks of the FTPA? What was uncovered about his "past" that led to his dismissal? Also, was anything uncovered about his present state of illegal heroin trafficking or other illegal enterprises such as the strong-arming crooked real estate deals as mentioned previously?

If anything, either past or present, was uncovered during this FTPA background check, was this information given to the proper authorities to conduct a real investigation? Was any effort expended by the FTPA to cooperate with getting this now known criminal off the streets of Pattaya over the past six months? With the FTPA's past experience with running sting operations such as breaking up Uzbekistan prostitute rings, it would have been advantageous to work with the authorities and "sting" him with a drug purchase or hiring him for swindler enforcement. Or, was this criminal simply released from the force with no further follow-up and thus allowed to continue his criminal practices?

So many questions, so little... interest.

As the heroin trafficker was one of his "own" men, albeit previously, does that not make it "his own"?

Irregardless, a heroin trafficker is arrested in Pattaya and that is news, and if it's not covered by his news outlet, then that is news in itself. Especially when other other less newsworthy topics are posted on his news outlet.

If you say so son, if you say so.

Now stop beating about the bush and come out with what you are really trying to say.

As the heroin trafficker was one of his "own" men, albeit previously, does that not make it "his own"?

Irregardless, a heroin trafficker is arrested in Pattaya and that is news, and if it's not covered by his news outlet, then that is news in itself. Especially when other other less newsworthy topics are posted on his news outlet.

Now stop beating about the bush and come out with what you are really trying to say.

so little interest? 78 viewings in a Pattaya News Topic is pretty big.

Beating about the bush? Man is just reiterating his views on Howard's Wannabee Coppers, and their (Howard's) vetting procedures.

so little interest? 78 viewings in a Pattaya News Topic is pretty big.

Beating about the bush? Man is just reiterating his views on Howard's Wannabee Coppers, and their (Howard's) vetting procedures.

Is it no wonder that howard will not reply to some posts?

Many of you seem to have your own blinkered view on things, Regardless of the truth hitting you full in the face.

I can only think that after being hit full in the face with truth the black eyes are somewhat hindering you

Why does this man get so much attention? he is not the first, and not the last to get arrested in pattaya.

He does not get to much attention.If it was an Aussie,or an American,this happening would not be only 4 pages but 20. :) (big "news" then) (as always).

Let's face it this guy is a dunce for getting involved with narcotics in Thailand.

For the paltry amount of money he would be making he is facing a long time inside.

This guy is no Mr Big he is a bottom feeder 40gs is not the stuff of Mr Bigs.

It never ceases to amaze me how the tropical sun warps the mind of many an expat over a long period of time.

He may well have had important Police connections but when push comes to shove he is expendable and there is always someone to take his place.

• 2 months later...
Where is John these days? Was he allowed to abscond like the Aussie swindler?

I read on one of the Norwegian forums that he is still in remand prison. :D The police have 84 days or something to bring formal charges but there are probably ways they can extend that period. I also read that he had applied for bail twice but that it had been refused - I guess that's no surprise when you get caught with enough heroin to receive a death sentence. Still, with enough hard currency I'm sure he could arrange things so that he was allowed to slip quietly out of the country, so maybe he's now in Cambodia, carrying on his fine tradition of police volunteering there .

It has also become known that he has been collecting welfare from the Norwegian government while living and working in Pattaya. Some sort of condition where he was certified as :) 'mentally unstable' :D or something similar - no joke. Maybe that was the 'dark past' we keep hearing about.

Scum bag no doubt and deserves more than he will get, dealing and abusing a position of trust are not to be tolerated, however I often wonder how many of us if we were policemen on crap pay and having temptation flaunted at us every day can hand on heart be 100% certain they would not stray? I am not talking about Thailand but your home country, here its common knowledge but I think if we really knew the depth of corruption at home we would be suprised (UK for me)

I think of myself as honest and trustworthy however I would be lying if I said I was certain I would never be tempted if the situation arose and the circumstances were against me, debt, divorce, and many other pressures of life we should all be able to deal with and probably have but were never in a position of temptation like most police are daily.

Ill get lots of flack I am sure just be honest before shooting me down and think of all possible scenarios. Just remember Jack Regan our hero of the 70's and now considered corupt by todays standards as well as the recent program Life on Mars

Scum bag no doubt and deserves more than he will get, dealing and abusing a position of trust are not to be tolerated, however I often wonder how many of us if we were policemen on crap pay and having temptation flaunted at us every day can hand on heart be 100% certain they would not stray? I am not talking about Thailand but your home country, here its common knowledge but I think if we really knew the depth of corruption at home we would be suprised (UK for me)

I think of myself as honest and trustworthy however I would be lying if I said I was certain I would never be tempted if the situation arose and the circumstances were against me, debt, divorce, and many other pressures of life we should all be able to deal with and probably have but were never in a position of temptation like most police are daily.

Ill get lots of flack I am sure just be honest before shooting me down and think of all possible scenarios. Just remember Jack Regan our hero of the 70's and now considered corupt by todays standards as well as the recent program Life on Mars

You're absolutely right but let's not get this guy confused with a normal Thai copper.

First he was getting disability from Norway. So he is already sucking from the teat of others, and receives about three times what the average Thai copper gets in a month, just because he is retarded or whatever it is.

Second he has a gogo bar in pattaya - Ingos - so he's making money from the sex trade. And this guy was not just the owner of a bar, from all reports he was making trips into the north of the country to find and recruit girls to go and work in Pattaya.

Third he was employed as the 'personal assistant' to a high-ranking cop in pattaya (after he was kicked out of the tourist police volunteers). And I am told they made quite a team. Squeezing money out of Thais and foreigners alike.

Fourth he is peddling his 'influence' with the cops through his Johnipattaya consultancy. Look on his website. What he means when he says he can help with police work (translations) is that he can help with police work (bribes, thuggery, and who knows what else).

Then of course he is also selling drugs to tourists, relying upon his police connections as some sort of immunity from prosecution.

He was also an agent for Hvidsten, a 'controversial' property developer (to put it mildly) selling to impressionable Norwegians who visited his gogo bar and were impressed by his swagger (some guys must think that carrying a concealed .38 around is cool).

Who knows what else this guy was involved in?

It is not surprising that he was not well liked. We are not talking about a Thai constable squeezing motorists for a few hundred Baht, this guy was up to his neck in corruption and dirty dealings, and had his finger in many dirty pies. It wasn't just circumstances and bad luck that got this guy landed in jail. He had it coming to him.

You're absolutely right but let's not get this guy confused with a normal Thai copper.

First he was getting disability from Norway. So he is already sucking from the teat of others, and receives about three times what the average Thai copper gets in a month, just because he is retarded or whatever it is.

Second he has a gogo bar in pattaya - Ingos - so he's making money from the sex trade. And this guy was not just the owner of a bar, from all reports he was making trips into the north of the country to find and recruit girls to go and work in Pattaya.

Third he was employed as the 'personal assistant' to a high-ranking cop in pattaya (after he was kicked out of the tourist police volunteers). And I am told they made quite a team. Squeezing money out of Thais and foreigners alike.

Fourth he is peddling his 'influence' with the cops through his Johnipattaya consultancy. Look on his website. What he means when he says he can help with police work (translations) is that he can help with police work (bribes, thuggery, and who knows what else).

Then of course he is also selling drugs to tourists, relying upon his police connections as some sort of immunity from prosecution.

He was also an agent for Hvidsten, a 'controversial' property developer (to put it mildly) selling to impressionable Norwegians who visited his gogo bar and were impressed by his swagger (some guys must think that carrying a concealed .38 around is cool).

Who knows what else this guy was involved in?

It is not surprising that he was not well liked. We are not talking about a Thai constable squeezing motorists for a few hundred Baht, this guy was up to his neck in corruption and dirty dealings, and had his finger in many dirty pies. It wasn't just circumstances and bad luck that got this guy landed in jail. He had it coming to him.

Excellent post.

Do we know what happened, if anything, to his police chum in Soi 9? Whilst he is no doubt innocent of anything, it does leave a nasty smell and raise questions about your judgement when your assistant is convicted of a serious crime.

Excellent post.

Do we know what happened, if anything, to his police chum in Soi 9? Whilst he is no doubt innocent of anything, it does leave a nasty smell and raise questions about your judgement when your assistant is convicted of a serious crime.

You mean this guy Pornkit?

John2008augusti9.jpg

(The guy on the left)

No idea, but it must be a huge embarrassment at the very least.

As I understand it the Pattaya BiB are generally a law unto themselves. hel_l, maybe he was the one who arranged for John to get nicked ... you just never know.

Edited by Sabre

• 8 months later...

A quick update on this case. Johansen has been tried and is waiting for judgment on 23 September 2010. He has admitted the weapon charge but says the drugs were planted.

The Norwegian forums have more information they are quite readable with google translate.

• 3 weeks later...