Changing Name Or Not If Thai Goes Abroad

We are considering whether or not my Thai GF (soon to be wife) should change her name as get married.

Of course, it would be simpler if she did not have to make changes in banks, get a new passport, new ID, professional licence,...

But, one must consider the implication in terms of going abroad, being questioned at customs,... Would custom officers feel different if the Thai woman has an hyphenated name? Would they less likely to be suspicious,...? Would she be seen mre favorably if she was asking for permanent resident status?

On the other hand, we know how much a farang would pay if there is a car accident in LOS and the name of the car has a farang name on the car registration!

What are your experiences and thoughts?

We are considering whether or not my Thai GF (soon to be wife) should change her name as get married.

Of course, it would be simpler if she did not have to make changes in banks, get a new passport, new ID, professional licence,...

But, one must consider the implication in terms of going abroad, being questioned at customs,... Would custom officers feel different if the Thai woman has an hyphenated name? Would they less likely to be suspicious,...? Would she be seen mre favorably if she was asking for permanent resident status?

On the other hand, we know how much a farang would pay if there is a car accident in LOS and the name of the car has a farang name on the car registration!

What are your experiences and thoughts?

you should definitely NOT change her name if you plan to buy a property in her name in Thailand.

and I agree life for her will be easier and less costly in Thailand if she keeps her thai name.

I am less sure about settling in England?? the settlement visa seems to be the same for a partner or for a wife. However presumably a future passport and social security number could be more difficult. Also they dont pay the widows pension to partners. Maybe someone could give advice from the UK perspective.

you should definitely NOT change her name if you plan to buy a property in her name in Thailand.

and I agree life for her will be easier and less costly in Thailand if she keeps her thai name.

She cannot hide the fact that she is married to a foreigner by not changing her name it will still be in her house book.

Since 1998 there has not been a restriction on a woman being married to a foreigner when it comes to land purchases. The husband just needs to sign a statement is all that is required. Trying to hide the marriage can only lead to greater problems and possible legal issues.

Why do you think her life will be easier and less costly?

As far as the UK is concerned, there is no requirement for a wife to take her husband's name upon marriage. Keeping her maiden name will not have any effect upon her rights as a wife; the marriage certificate will provide all the proof that is needed of her status as a wife.

Whether the situation is the same in Thailand, I'm not sure. My wife changed her name on her ID card immediately after our marriage, but did not change the name in her passport until it expired and she renewed it at the RTE in London, 4 years after our wedding and her arrival in the UK.

We have recently bought property in Krung Thep and her having a Farang surname has not caused us any problems.

In case any one is wondering, a legal marriage in Thailand (i.e. the ampur registration) is legally recognised in the UK and the Thai marriage certificate, with certified English translation, is all the proof of the marriage one needs in the UK.

"On the other hand, we know how much a farang would pay if there is a car accident..."

I don't know. How much?

If you hit a motorcycle or the opposite, the other person can make things difficult by going to the police and indicate one was in the wrong. Apparently, this lady brought some "bikers" she knew to dissuade my GF to talk to the police, but --apparently-- one needs to involve the police. It might be the case that one needs to pay a fine because one was in the wrong and --apparently-- some Thai make things even more difficult, claiming fictitious injuries,... I don't know. I am restating what I was told. Can this be true?

I have a Thai passport and I have a thoroughly Anglo Irish name that I was born with, am six foot one and have two blond haired, blue eyed daughers, also with Thai passports.

Name, height, face, looks etc....not an issue

But if you are Thai and look like Thai and have a Thai name, then immigrating might be an issue, but if you have a foreigner name, it might be easier. It shouldn't, of course. I guess,... you would not know! :)

As far as the UK is concerned, there is no requirement for a wife to take her husband's name upon marriage. Keeping her maiden name will not have any effect upon her rights as a wife; the marriage certificate will provide all the proof that is needed of her status as a wife.

Whether the situation is the same in Thailand, I'm not sure. My wife changed her name on her ID card immediately after our marriage, but did not change the name in her passport until it expired and she renewed it at the RTE in London, 4 years after our wedding and her arrival in the UK.

We have recently bought property in Krung Thep and her having a Farang surname has not caused us any problems.

In case any one is wondering, a legal marriage in Thailand (i.e. the ampur registration) is legally recognised in the UK and the Thai marriage certificate, with certified English translation, is all the proof of the marriage one needs in the UK.

Thanks. I agree! But, it is cumbersome to carry a marriage certificate and I don't think many people do when going through customs! Right? Good info about no having to change her name though on her passport.

Thanks! I agree there is no need for her to change her name in many Western countries now. But, it is cumbersome to carry a marriage certificate to prove and show that you are married to a foreigner and I don't think many people do take their certificate when going through customs! Right? Having the foreigner name might expedite matters a little. Good info about no having to change her name though on her passport.

Edited by rethaired

But, it is cumbersome to carry a marriage certificate to prove and show that you are married to a foreigner and I don't think many people do take their certificate when going through customs! Right?

I can think of no reason why anyone would need to prove their marital status to customs.

However, if one did then the UK settlement visa in the passport would do as it would be endorsed "Visa Wife, spouse of....."

I have been trying to remember when my wife has had to prove her marital status, and all I can think of, apart from her visa, ILR and citizenship applications of course, is when she applied for her NI number.

She did need to provide our marriage certificate when applying for her UK driving licence, but that wasn't because she needed to prove she was married but to prove her identity because she wanted my surname on her licence and her passport was in her maiden name.

My opinion, based on our experience and that related by others, is that it makes no difference whether a wife keeps her maiden name, changes her surname to her husbands or takes some other option such as a double barrelled surname using both. At the end of the day it is a personal choice; which is as it should be.

There is no need to change a wife's name to the name of the husband when she gets married.

Legally she can keep her own name, also in Thailand.

Going abroad it sometimes can make things easier, abroad that is.

Staying in Thailand people are sometimes inclined to react in the wrong way to a farang name.

Problems, problems......

Decisions, decisions......

There in not such a thing as a free lunch, isn't it?

And carrying a marriage certificate (translated and legalised!!!!!!) a burden??????

Last time I looked it was A-4 sized, 3 pages with some stickers and stamps on it.

But I agree, frightfully heavy!

My Fiancé is coming to the USA this week, we will be getting Married as soon as possible to get the ’ change of Status” process started. I Must admit , I never thought the name change option, I read all the posts in this string, a lot of good info.

At some point after we marry, , God willing, we will have children and I think I would want the Mother of my children to have the same name as her children, other wise there will be problems with schools, doctor consent forms , traveling, etc. So I was thinking, what do you all think if she kept both names? First name, her last name, and then My last Name. Would this be a good compromise?

The pro's and cons of changing a Thai wife's surname from Thai into English.

Pro: My wife will continue to receive part of my Police Pension upon my death.

Con: Whenever we book into an hotel here in Thailand, as soon as they see that my wife has an English surname, the fee doubles in price.

Though there is no legal requirement in Thailand to do so, I think, base on personal experience, it is a good idea for the wife to go ahead and change her name in Thailand. My wife did that 8 years ago when we married in Thailand, while living abroad at the time. I think it did help in getting her dependent visas in the several countries we lived in. It has caused her no problems since we moved back to Thailand and we have bought several properties in her name with no problem. I did suggest to her that when she got the new ID card that she use her maiden name as a middle name as is somewhat customary in the US. The upcountry amphur said they couldn’t do that as Thais do not have middle names. We didn’t press the issue.

TH

Con: Whenever we book into an hotel here in Thailand, as soon as they see that my wife has an English surname, the fee doubles in price.

My wife always does the registration when we check into a hotel and the price has never been higher because she has my name.

Anyway they would not get away with it. My wife would tell them what they could do with their higher price. I have walked a considerable distance before because she would not accept getting cheated by a taxi. And baht buses in Pattaya that tried to pull it have been told off many a time when we lived there.

Edited by ubonjoe

My wife always does the registration when we check into a hotel and the price has never been higher because she has my name.

Same here.

Anyway they would not get away with it. My wife would tell them what they could do with their higher price. I have walked a considerable distance before because she would not accept getting cheated by a taxi.

Same here, again :)

Though there is no legal requirement in Thailand to do so, I think, base on personal experience, it is a good idea for the wife to go ahead and change her name in Thailand. My wife did that 8 years ago when we married in Thailand, while living abroad at the time. I think it did help in getting her dependent visas in the several countries we lived in. It has caused her no problems since we moved back to Thailand and we have bought several properties in her name with no problem. I did suggest to her that when she got the new ID card that she use her maiden name as a middle name as is somewhat customary in the US. The upcountry amphur said they couldn’t do that as Thais do not have middle names. We didn’t press the issue.

TH

Thai's certainly can have a middle name.

And to the OP its upto you (or her actaully) it does not make a difference. There is no need to carry translated marriage certs around with you and my wife never told me anyone looked down on her etc. etc. Also absolutly no problem for the wife to buy and own land in her married name (absolutly no problem at all!!!)