Going To Vientiane Laos

Serpico

Any recommendations for my first trip to Laos?

Hotels?

Restaurants?

Sightseeing?

Getting around?

Once you get to the border crossing, you can find a number of Lao nationals working as "guides" and "transporters". These men always have a nice, air conditioned mini-bus or van, and most speak some English. Their fees are all pretty standard, and not at all unreasonable for their services. They pick you up once you pass through immigration, then take you into Vientiane. Naturally they have a hotel they will recommend, but if you don't particularly care for that one, they will take you to another with no problem. Personally, on my trips there my Thai wife and I actually liked the hotels they took us to. The next day they will pick you up and take you to the Thai Embassy, then return to pick you up. This is an additional fee, unless you work it out with them in the initial "deal making". Or you can get a tuk-tuk just as you do here, and with them you definitely want to barter the price. lol.

If you speak any Thai, that's good, because most of the people in Vientiane do as well. (It was once part of the Lanna Kingdom). There are any number of good restaurants around, including some European ones near the "Circle". Pick up a city map and you will see it. Then just show a tuk-tuk driver on the map and he'll take you there.

The original "guide" who brought you into the city from the border is usually the same one who will pick you up at the hotel and bring you back to the border as well, and this is usually included in the initial price.

My only suggestion is that you get to the Thai Embassy as early as possible, take an umbrella for shade, and bottled water.

Other than that, it's a relatively "painless" outing, and can actually be fun. I've done it 3 times and enjoyed it each time.

Hotels?

Restaurants?

Sightseeing?

Getting around?

Digs? I like the Mali Namphu Guest House, google it. Right there at the fountain center of town. Best to email for a reservation as often full. Requst 1st or 2nd floor, I've not tried 3 or 4, don't think my knees would take it.

Eats? Khop Chai Deu, right round the corner from the Mali. Sticky Fingers, opposite the Tai Pan Hotel, near the river about 3-4 blocks upstream. The new restaurant at the Asia Pavilion Hotel, good ribs.

Sights? A couple of military museums. The Patu Xai, "monument." Morning Market.

Getting around? Can hire a tuk tuk by the day, or a taxi. Evan a van, about baht 1,200. If you do this, for a few extra baht can take the run up to the Nam Ngum dam and lake for lunch.

Mac

Just returned this week from a few days in Vientiane, great place loads to do and see.

My hotel was in the wrong location so I would recommend you find somewhere near the riverside. Taxi from bridge to city is about 300/400 baht. Find a good tuk-tuk driver to give you a tour around the city to give you a feel for the place.

There is a great bar on the fourth floor overlooking the river, 2 pool tables, good food and loads of lovely ladies, but beware the ladyboys, some are not obvious. Also there is a big hotel on the riverside that has a nightclub in the basement that's open till about 5am, rammed full of beauties in there too and Beerlao is reasonable price.

Hotels?

Restaurants?

Sightseeing?

Getting around?

I've been there a few times in the last year or so, only once for a visa run though (my first trip). I didnt know what to expect there but it was a pretty decent spot to get away for a couple days. I was fortunate to meet some people who had been living there for a while, one of which was a Belgian guy who had recently opened a great pizza place near the river. The restaurant is called "Via Via" I believe and it was near the beginning of the soi that is by the Riverside Hotel (you can see the restaurant sign from the main street). They got some excellent pizza and the best part is they also have a selection of 6 or 7 Belgian beers to choose from. Prices are pretty reasonable, and it is walking distance to one of the most popular after-hour bars in the area. I like the place so much I ended up going back a couple times when I felt like escaping BKK for a weekend.

Inter City Hotel was OK. 28USD

A bit old and funky but the rooms were fairly clean, air con and shower worked fine. Staff nice.

Location is excellent. Easy walk to a variety of restaurants and shopping.

Enjoyed the Scandinavian Coffee shop, Sticky Fingers, the Spirit House restaurant and a variety of local food shops.

Got to the Thai consulate and hour early and was #2 in line.

Went back the next afternoon at 1pm and picked up the visa. I don't recommend showing up early for the afternoon pickup as it is brutally hot standing in line. Show up at 2pm is recommended.

In the orange bus Udonthani - Nongkai I sometimes ask if any peeps will go to Vientiane and share a car, I know it's Lonely Planet behaviour but the better airconditioned cars may be pricy and I dislike tuktuks, dust and smoke. The're always people who wanna save money (and newbees who appreciate some guidance)

If the tuktuk between Nongkai busstop opp. Tesco Lotus and the bridge (1 km) 'standard' wants to drop you at the 'visa office' tell him not to stop but bring you rightaway to the bridge. Those scammy offices just only fill in your paper and make a photo for 2.000 bath. Just bring some pics and don't mind the queing, also when paying that 'visa office' you need to wait for the visa to be ready, they not give much benefit.

If you go for a visarun better plan the visit to Thai embassy a day later, when on the day of arrival you might get stressy about if you gonna make it on time or not.

When early at the embassee you see a long queue before the embassy opens, business guys outside want to do the application for you charging 2.000 bath using the queue to convince you, but soon as the embassy opens the queue suddenly disappears as everybody goes inside. When busy the embassy might close earlier.

If you don't mind the 2.000 bath extra that guys are helpful, do everything for you and next day they return your passport at 1PM on the same spot.

If all by yourself: bring: a pen, water, photos, photocopy of passport (but there's a photocopier as well) and be prepared for sit and wait for an hour or so, and watching people is always nice.

Also, do a thread search here on ThaiVisa. I'd hate to guess how many times this question has been asked and answered.

Avoid to fill your mind with hate that's really not good,

and don't forget that information is always being updated !

If you are satisfied with a question that has been answered a half year ago, I am not because that's old information !

Edited by spaceshipcrew

• 2 weeks later...

I need to obtain a non-Immigrant Visa type-O for my marriage visa in Thailand.Is it possible to get it in the Thai Vientiane Consulate(or Embassy)?

I'm planning to go there on the October 12th'09,but there is a Laos National Holiday this day,so I wander if the Thai Consulate will be open?

I will be driving a car,so is it possible to take the car to Laos,or is it just to much trouble?