Suvarnabhumi Airport Link Sets Soft Launch For December 5

george

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't help but wonder what the city terminal end will look like with all the taxis blocking city traffic, and the taxi drivers rubbing their hands together anticipating the fat rip-off they are about to impose on the innocent, first timer with two checkin bags and a carry on, trying to navigate the escalater down to the street, with all the drivers blocking the way. Sure sounds like fun to me.

Suvarnabhumi Airport Link sets soft launch for December 5

BANGKOK: -- The long-delayed Airport Rail Link project, providing direct rail service to and from Suvarnabhumi Airport, will start providing free service to the public from this December 5 which coincides with the birthday celebrations of His Majesty the King, said State Railway of Thailand (SRT) Governor Yuthana Tupcharoen.

People interested in free rides on December 5 may apply for tickets beginning October 1 at either the Airport Rail Link office or at SRT headquarters, Mr. Yuthana said.

Test runs of the system have been conducted since February by Siemens, the manufacturer and installer of the rail system, and no problems have been found. However, independent engineers will inspect the safety system for the next three months and if no problems are found, the system will be ready for operation.

The SRT board has also hired Deutsche Bahn International of Germany for Bt85 million to train Airport Rail Link staff. The board exports to launch the system on December 5, Mr Yuttana added.

The 28-km rail link connects Suvarnabhumi International Airport in adjacent Samut Prakan province and the City Air Terminal in Bangkok's Makkasan area.

The Airport Rail Link is owned and will be operated by SRT, through a subsidiary company, which will administer the overall operations.

According to a preliminary study, the fare for an express trip will be Bt150 per person, while fares for the City Line commuter trips, will vary from Bt30-50 per passenger.

Transport for airport express riders and local commuters will run on the same track with the same equipment, but with a staggered schedule.

Premium-fare express services will run on the hour between Suvarnabhumi Airport and City Air Terminal, while the City Line service will stop at six local stations along the route.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-09-05

This will cheer up the BKK Taxi drivers lots - not.

Loving LOS & regards,

Brewsta

Congratulations. One step ahead in establishing different railway systems that are and always will be completely incompatible and incongruously, namely:

1. The 'classic' SRT with it's shaking and vibrating 1000mm gauge

2. The skytrain (in the sky) with 1435mm gauge

3. The MRT in the underground, operated by another company, with another tickets, another train and electrification system

4. The airport link, operated by the SRT, now suddenly with an overhead contact line (skytrain an underground get power trough railway based electrical lines!)

The last three ones build within only 10 years with absolutely NO way of upgrading, extension or connection between the lines.

Mai bpen drai. What London, NY, Paris or Tokyo do mustn't be good for Bangkok. So keep the transportmafia rolling.

You for one are just one of the peeps who only know how to criticise things that you don't even really know or haven't even tried!

1. Classing SRT system is completely out of the map this time.

2. BTS & ARL will LINK at Phayathai station. 2 different systems, different operators BUT the two stations are connected directly to each other. At the City Air Terminal, of the ARL will also LINK with an MRT station.

3. The reason for the overhead contact line is because the speed is different! The third rail electrical line is only good for train system that is slower than 120kmph ARL is running at 160kmph.

4. Common ticketing system can be implemented very easily. All systems are now using the same RFID devices and gates. The main problem is just management nightmare where each operator doesn't really wanna talk with each other and set up a system that works.

5. All the systems, ARL, BTS, MRT are using the same standard gauge. BTS/MRT cars are interchangeable, they are both running on the same system with the same electrical wires.

Get the facts right first, please, before bashing.

I believe that the 3 systems (BTS, MRT and ARL) are from Siemens and the 3 systems use the same OMS ( management system) which mean they can be easily integrated and controled by one system in the future.

Traveling from downtown to the airport will be super fast with the express line.

I dont you can beat having your bags loaded into the back of a taxi for you at your hotel and not touching them until you get to the airport.

This train is going to be hard work. humping your luggage around up and down escalators. in 40c with 90% humidity to try to save 300 baht or so.

You have still got to get to the station as well. it seems it will be easy and quicker (if you have to wait another hour for a train) to just keep using the hotel transfers.

Unless of course ya MR.C.H. Eap-Charlie

Its a good link for the airport staff though. I am sure it will help them to get to work, Except the King Power staff who probably drive new motorcycles or honda jazz's with their hard earned Tips, from us lovely shoppers.

I just can't help but wonder what the city terminal end will look like with all the taxis blocking city traffic, and the taxi drivers rubbing their hands together anticipating the fat rip-off they are about to impose on the innocent, first timer with two checkin bags and a carry on, trying to navigate the escalater down to the street, with all the drivers blocking the way. Sure sounds like fun to me.

Yeah - have you seen Asoke and New Petchaburi recently? Apart from the road subsidence and potholes when it rains heavily should really be fun with 300 Taxi's an hour pushing in to the traffic?

lol :)

To set December 5 as date IS the guarantee that Airport Link will open!

Oh comoon, it is not a guarantee. It was supposed to open already on Queen's birthday but didn't. This is again one of those government "projects" which never get done in time. Have you guys seen the plan for maybe 10-15 different lines for the Bangkok and surrounding area. It has been around years and years and what have they got done.. nothing much..?

Anyways, i dont want to be pessimistic, i just woke up :) . This is finally great news and it is really good for the areas along the link, people over there can have fast and direct access to the city = less people will come with their cars to the city = less traffic jam... hopefully.

its awesome to hear SOME positive news in all the negatives of recent. I do love living here and i think this will help ALOt as ALOt of tourist first experience of Thailand is the taxi's which try to rip them off within 5 mins of tourist landing so this will help atleast give me an hours break before they get fleeced

kidding... well done Thailand!

Indeed, even though I speak Thai, 3 out of 4 taxi drivers try to rip me off.

It's extremely annoying, but I always get the satisfaction at the end to pay the exact amount without a tip. The angry faces are priceless.

:)

I will definitely be a good customer of the Suvarnabhumi Airport Link...

Great stuff for first timers and backers. Also to open on the 5th Dec' excellent.

I go to Bangkok very seldom, on my own, and use taxis. If any want a fixed fare I say no, use the meter. Ok for me as I can speak Thai.

Heavy luggage would appear a bind though.

Anyway good news all the same.

If the link only runs every hour it will will be quicker rather than waiting to get a Taxi.Even with the 50 baht surcharge on average it will be cheaper to get a taxi into Bangkok. It will also be a pain carrying suitcases onto and off a Train.Will the train be set out to be suitcase friendly? Will there be enough taxis waiting at the airport terminal in downtown Bangkok to avoid waiting..The idea of a rail link sounds great but if its been put in to assist tourists to Thailand then I doubt it will help.its still going to be the Taxi for my family and yes upstairs to avoid the 50 baht surcharge.On my own I will give a it a ride if I only have a small bag.

Whenever I go to Bangkok, I head for the National Stadium area and the budget guesthouses down there. In recent times, I have been taking the Airport Bus which drops me off close to the MBK building on Siam Square from where it is a fairly short walk, although full of obstacles such as going up long steps with luggage, to get across the road. Now, the Rail Link will take us to the City Air Terminal from where I would need to change for MRT Phetchaburi, take the train to Sukhumvit, change to the Skyrain at Asoke (an awkward changeover in itself where there is airport-style security) and then change again at Siam for the National Monument. Without luggage, this is no hassle, but with luggage it's a major hassle. Something tells me I might still be getting the Airport Bus.

There are many weak points in the airport link:

- Connectivity is still poor. MRT station is quite far away from the Makkasan station, and there is no express service connection to the Skytrain. Which means if you want to reach Skytrain from the airport you must take a slow commuter airport train, or take a fast train and then change to MRT and then change to BTS. Both options are very slow.

- Frequencies are horrible (due to braindead design that doesn't have passing tracks for faster trains at every station). Commuter trains are running twice in a hour, which means that there is a 15 minute wait for the train on average!

- No single ticketing system, sure it can be done, but it still hasn't (MRT was opened 5 years ago).

- Price for the express train is ridicilous. Maglev track in Shanghai is longer, has almost 3x speed, uses very expensive technology and the price of the trip is 200B.

This is another example for to take a good idea and implement it in a wrong way. With higher frequencies, single ticketing system and maximum price of 100B airport link would be much more attractive solution.

I read that trains 'on the hour' will be express. Does this mean only one train an hour will be express > This will not be frequent enough to attract travellers. There needs to be train every 20 minutes or less if this is to be a success or people will not wait so long, could be half way home if a thirty minute wait between trains.

Those who have light baggage will take advantage of the new train service. Those who have heavy baggage will continue to take airport taxis.

The net effect is a hit on the taxi drivers making a living taking passengers from the airport to the city. There will be fewer taxis leaving the airport and less congestion on the roads from the airport into the city.

Will there be more congestion in the city with additional taxis taking those passengers who took the train to their final destination?

Not necessarily. For the same number of passengers, there will be the same number of taxis involved, but the taxi journeys for those who took the train will be shorter.

The net effect is, less congestion on the roads. Isn't that obvious?

travelling with 2 - 3 people you would be better of with a taxi, if you could find an honest one...

i guess also a nice double pricing for locals and farangs is in place

Since 1982, I've taken taxis from the airports into Bangkok more than 200 times, and have never been ripped off. Just pay the extra 50 baht and use the official service - you'll have no problem.

travelling with 2 - 3 people you would be better of with a taxi, if you could find an honest one...

i guess also a nice double pricing for locals and farangs is in place

Since 1982, I've taken taxis from the airports into Bangkok more than 200 times, and have never been ripped off. Just pay the extra 50 baht and use the official service - you'll have no problem.

hear hear - have taken a taxi from SVB at least 20 times, and always pay approx the same to get downtown, about 280B plus the 50, plus the tollway. Never had a problem, never had a rip-off. I read above about some geezer going to the top floor to avoid the 50B. Does Thailand attract only penniless weasles, or do visitors morph into weasles according to the number of visits / time spent here?

Weasle who avoids 50B charge - you seem so proud! well done!

It wouldn't be Thai Visa without the complaining....

Several posters mention Tokyo, London, Paris..... now mention Bangkok....

Tokyo, Narita anyhow, anywhere costs 40 usd, and that gets you to Tokyo station from Narita, five stories down in the basement. After going five stories up, you can then connect to a train going somewhere else or a taxi if you can find your way out of the station (over one hour train). When you get to whereever you are going, you get to carry your luggage down a flight of stairs, and don't expect ANYONE to help you...

London, yes I have lived there too, used that one too. You have to take a taxi to the station and then use the subway, and it takes in excess of an hour depending on which airport... and the cost makes you remember it...

Bangkok, has newer, cleaner (MUCH CLEANER) trains and fully airconditioned and working (MRT or BTS) and now they open a link to the airport and it ain't good enough, at a cost of less than 10 usd....

TIT with THAIVISA.....

May be more expensive than a taxi if there are 3 or 4 of you but hey don't forget the speed and comfort that the train will offer in comparison. One little worry is will you be able to get on these trains at busy times as waiting a further hour for the next express will be a big downer. Hope they are pretty long trains with plenty of seats as no way would I want to stand for the journey then a taxi would be preferable.

Anyway great news and a great positive step for Thailand :)

As I see things, it will be more expensive for 2 people than a taxi. 300 baht for the train and then a taxi to your hotel. I usually stay at the DIG on Suk Soi 6 and there won't be many drivers wanting to do it for less than 100 baht even though they just have to turn off Petchaburi into Suk Soi 3.

I'll still get a taxi from the airport even if I have to pay the 400 baht 'negotiated' fee. Saves lugging the luggage to the airport station and lugging it again down escalators to the taxi rank at the city end. And given my experience on the 'sardine can' BTS today (why don't they add more carriages to the trains?), the taxi will be more comfortable.

Tourists don't worry about saving a few bucks, especially when they pay the equivalent of 1,100 baht (my cost) to get to the airport in their home city. Could be good for the low income locals though.

lets see what its like on December 6
Maybe Santa Claus will be on board? No, anyway: I love riding trains and for sure I will be using it. And I hate discussions like "meter is broken" or "too much traffic, I will not go there" or "the hotel just burned down, can I recommend another one?" or "did you book a room already?" :)

Where is Makkasan area? How close (or far) is it from everything else, like Sukhumvit, MBK, Silom, Victory Monument?

here is a map SARL-Makkasan-Station-City-Air-Terminal

Doesn't work? can't see a thing. No route drawn. Just a satellite photo of an unidentified terminal with a bunch of squares

randomly drawn. Don't understand anyway. You can take a free shuttle bus from airport upper level 2 blocks to the bus terminal.

Then take #552 street bus for 35 baht to On Nut Road BTS. Or take a highway bus to pattaya for 106baht.

Where is Makkasan area? How close (or far) is it from everything else, like Sukhumvit, MBK, Silom, Victory Monument?

here is a map SARL-Makkasan-Station-City-Air-Terminal

Doesn't work? can't see a thing. No route drawn. Just a satellite photo of an unidentified terminal with a bunch of squares

randomly drawn. Don't understand anyway. You can take a free shuttle bus from airport upper level 2 blocks to the bus terminal.

Then take #552 street bus for 35 baht to On Nut Road BTS. Or take a highway bus to pattaya for 106baht.

They should make really long range MRT trains going all over Thailand with extra cars you can put your motorbike on.

Replacing the KTM Diesel Electric Dinosaur smog bombs with no cooling system thermostat. (cough cough)

Unless you like to take carbon-monoxide instead of crack. It's cheaper until you drop dead or pass out.

For us geographically challenged people what is the nearest Sky Train or Subway Station to City Air Terminal in Bangkok's Makkasan. And is it a taxi ride away or a 2/3 minute walk.

Thank you,

TheWalkingMan

Make that at least 15 Minutes.

Nearest subway stations are either Rama 9 or Petchaburi.

40 Degrees heat, heavy luggage, perhaps crossing an overpass..........well, I would opt for a cab. From the airport. :)

Another point which haven't been discussed:

Suppose you arrive during morning and evening rush hours.

The BTS is already overcroweded.

Squeezing in with bags and suitcases might be quite a challenge.

But, let's see.

I live just up from the city link. Costs me under 200 baht to get to airport (+25 if i want to use the expressway.) So dont see why most would bother with the train to save maybe 50 baht.

Obviously with 2 or more people a taxi is a complete no-brainer.