Crackdown Fails To Stop Suvarnabhumi Airport Gangs

george

hey guys, i have to spend 10 hours at the airport in December on a lay over for another flight :) . How safe is it for me to sleep and lock my bag up with a wrap safe. I land in Thailand at 12 am...

Safe enough if you do not die of sheer boredom..... :D

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
hey guys, i have to spend 10 hours at the airport in December on a lay over for another flight :) . How safe is it for me to sleep and lock my bag up with a wrap safe. I land in Thailand at 12 am...

If you are staying inside of the gates, no problem, though it may be a bit uncomfortable. You may want to hit the airport hotel.

When i returned from US last Monday, I did notice that I wasn't approached a single time by any touts. I didn't a single cry of "Taxi Mister". So whatever they are doing seems to be working for the moment.

agree. MUCH better than before. couldn't believe that even at those official AOT-limousine counters (their staff there have ALWAYS been polite and not pushy) no one approached me. I almost stopped walking to "provoke" a reaction, but they all remained entirely MUTE.

but then, when I used the moving walkway from Arrival level to Mezzanine level to get myself a Coffee, finally is happened. Someone from the upper Mezzanine level saw me on the walkway and yelled down at me "TAXI TAXI". he seems to be pretty desperate :) and made me enjoy my coffee even more after that....

Flew out of Swampy the other day. I arrived at the ground floor, and at each entry to the motorized ramp going up there was a guard and a gate, with a sign about needing a pass to go up. Can't recall if the signs were only in English, and didn't investigate if the other ways to traverse the levels were also guarded. Not one "hello mistah" this time.

The first time I arrived at Swampy was a few months after it opened, and I had heard about all the enforcement of taxis queuing up, etc. Still, as was old practice at DM, I went to arrivals to see if I could get a cab, and there, in an entrance, parked on sidewalk and sufficiently blocking the way, was a taxi, the owner sporting a big chimpanzee grin knowing he wouldn't get in trouble because he just blew the police chief or something like that. So much for all that enforcement bs.

Word on the grapevine is the worst airport in the world in terms of personal safety is Caracas -- muggers waiting for you as soon as you leave the customs area. Maybe this is Chavez's first line of defense against invasion. :)

Solution Passport 5000 Baht or flight icket to enter the airport for Thai citizens.

Foregners will hardly be working these deals.End of story case solved.

King Power close it hand the franchise too revolving OTOP projects

This will of course merely displace the touts but remove these pests as large Thai speaker who knows where to get a cab no waiting on Arrivals they don't even bother me anymore but poor first impression to our elederly and first time jet lagged vsitors,

The train will help though of course these gangs will gravitate to makkasan and Phay Thai in due course.As earlier poster noted Singapore or Hong Kong would sort it

GOING UNDERGROUND? Rumour Sleeper cells training at Koh Kong elite ripoff academy

A whole new opportunity is on the horizon fast tracked well 3 years late and counting.

Tired of taxi and limo touts intrducing new Train ticket scams and baggage transfer choo choos

Who will train the trainers SRT or perhaps Kasit Jones a steaming and a rolling !!

Let's see how long it takes private enterprise to go Metrocrimenal

If theyve done their homewoerk theyll know the risks and scams and cash torrent it's a jatukom Juggernaut a caboose of cash and a big subway Sandwichfor the AOT (Ask Our Thieves )

A cigarette Urn and Siemen traces hese foolish things remind me of you.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plus ca CHANG mais toujours la meme chose :)

Re the case of the missing case or cases?

As a former employee of Qatar Airways I doubt you'l see any unreceited items this side of the 2nd coming Insh'allah There is a big shed at Doha full of Skis Golf clubs and all manner of gear.Very decent cha wallahs hiding while following cricket.In my tim Id stroll along the tarmac past the French mirages and check the scores.

Much more chance if it actually got there as it's a jobs worth with a bureaucracy despite computerisation based on Indian colonial railways with chitties and men on bikes who find anything given enough time or dash.

As a premiuim client time for a stiff letter to HQ? A good template To Branson in Todays Daily Telegraph!

Edited by RubbaJohnny

The Convenient Resort. Google for details. I paid 800 baht for an OK room with cable TV, clean bathroom and air-con and it included free airport collection and free transfer back to the check-in floor the following morning at 4am. It's a 10-minute ride from the terminal.

Edited by Loaded