Which Motorcross 250?

dom

I am living 15 Kilometres off road on a jungle covered mountain on Koh Phangan Thailand. My road is mountainess loose rock and dirt and is very steep in parts. I need a lightweight high power 250 of some sort, maybe a KX250 or XR 250 that can handle the odd fall without having to spend a fortune on new parts. I am 85 Kilos in weight 6 ft high in my 40's. Can anybody reccommend something for this type of terrain in the 100,000THB range? Any responces would be most appreciated.

You might be able to find an xr250 for 60-80thou but i would go the Kawasaki klx250 route if i were you. You might find a nearly new 2008 for 100thou if ya lucky (149thou brand new with warranty). If you think its not got the power then change the rear sprocket to give yourself more low down grunt. try the thai kawa forums.

Edited by thaicbr

Klx is a very well riding bike, but you might find it underpowered.

I have one (de-restricted) and it's still no rocket. It's a rather high revving engine, especially if you compare with a yamaha TTR for example, which has much more low rev grunt (but no top end).

So yep, you'll have to change sprocket, but you'll then be screaming along at the straights at redline in top gear at 90 k's :)

One can of course go furteh with exhaust and airfilter, but somewhere you'll be hitting the limit of how much fuel the injection system can get in. Carbs are easy to e-jet, but not the PFI on these bikes...

One aspect those is KLX is cheap parts, easy to get, etc etc..

Total cost of ownership on Kwakers over time, those part costs really help.

Apart from the bloody rear tire.

It's very good, excellent road holding on normal roads while remaining good traction on dirt roads.

They obviously did this by using very soft compound. 3,500 km and the first one is gone :)

250.. Suzuki 250 Djebel, Yamaha WR 250, Honda XR 250... No 250 is a rocket except the 2 strokes but then you run into high maintenance.

The cost of parts for Suzuki and Honda are cheap as chips and super simple to repair, any greasemonkey can do it, Kawasaki is cheap as well however EFI and more electronics fewer greasemonkeys can fix. Take your pick...

I bought a XR400 with big bore kit so 440 that rips through the jungle, however a legal 400 is easily twice that price you have in mind second hand. So 250 is probably your best bet.

Best place to find one is in "non-disclosed forum due to ThaiVisa rules" there are always some dirtbikes there for sale, or you can list up want to buy... hint golden triangle...

Edited by Bard

One aspect those is KLX is cheap parts, easy to get, etc etc..

Total cost of ownership on Kwakers over time, those part costs really help.

Apart from the bloody rear tire.

It's very good, excellent road holding on normal roads while remaining good traction on dirt roads.

They obviously did this by using very soft compound. 3,500 km and the first one is gone :)

Yeap i confirm,i got new rear one (full MX) in China town ,large choice,lot of shops ,easier to discuss prices.

Monty please gimme a trick to find out this dam_n smaller front sprocket 13//14' for KLX!!

Yepp got pikeys old bike LivinLOS

As I said in the PM.. Nice addition to the stable..

Yes awesome, it will extend my biking to Motard and Dirt something my current bike cannot. Can't wait to let her rip, yohooo