Visa On Arrival Counter At Suvarnabhumi Airport

Last week Aug. 30, I was passing through the airport I noticed the "Visa on Arrival" counter. It was just before going through passport and immigration control. What was that for? Are they giving tourist visas there? It could not be for the 30 day visa waiver as this is not a "visa on arrival" as has been pointed out here on this forum so often. Thanks for the replies.

By the way, blatant baggage abuse has got to be the norm at BKK. While waiting for my Thai air flight to Phuket I observed several bags arrive for my flight on a flatbed truck (not the normal baggage trolley). Well the kid off loading the bags did so in a manner that he set them up like a wheel and rolled them off the truck. All the while an older (more senior?) man was watching and talking to him (giving him instructions?). One bag did break open and no one seemed to notice either at my gate or on the ramp. Are we just complacent? I know I didn't make a seen. Then again after 30 hours of travel maybe I dreamed it. NOT!!!

Yeah, it's the same for farangs arriving in Laos or Indonesia where you need to apply for and pay for a visa on arrival, while Thais are exempt from visas there. One of the few benefits of having a Thai passport compared to a farang one in addition to visa free travel to Vietnam and Russia.