Do I Need Visa In Advance To Enter Usa

Can other members please advice whether I need a visa in advance to enter USA:

- Australian passport (new type)

- Well over 21

- Never been convicted anywhere for anything

- Never been refused visa for any of the many countries visited.

Please share, thanks.

No visa req'd for Aussie passport under the US visa waiver program (VWP). You'll get a 90 day visit stamp when arriving but there is some new online registration for DHS that you will need to do before you leave. Australia has the same online registration approval for foreign visitors as well.

Interestingly they are thinking of charging for this new DHS pre flight approval and the EU is considering counter measures against this from what I read as recently as yesterday.

If you charge someone for a 'check' before you enter a country, no matter what you call it, it is a visa.

I hope the EU hits all US travellers with a visa requirement just for implementing this pre flight check. A similar thing happened with the Brazillians a few years back, Americans now need to get visas before going to Brazil, again a retaliatory measure introduced after a US policy change.

Edit - I might add that these counter measures always seem to be driven by changes initiated by the US. You'd think they had better things to do than annoy their allies in new and imaginative ways !

Edited by ukrules

Can other members please advice whether I need a visa in advance to enter USA:

- Australian passport (new type)

- Well over 21

- Never been convicted anywhere for anything

- Never been refused visa for any of the many countries visited.

Please share, thanks.

Click on this link to apply for your US visa:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_fl...6D-227BBA3691AD

Interestingly they are thinking of charging for this new DHS pre flight approval and the EU is considering counter measures against this from what I read as recently as yesterday.

If you charge someone for a 'check' before you enter a country, no matter what you call it, it is a visa.

I hope the EU hits all US travellers with a visa requirement just for implementing this pre flight check. A similar thing happened with the Brazillians a few years back, Americans now need to get visas before going to Brazil, again a retaliatory measure introduced after a US policy change.

Edit - I might add that these counter measures always seem to be driven by changes initiated by the US. You'd think they had better things to do than annoy their allies in new and imaginative ways !

Please post a link for your assertion that the US intends to start charging for the ESTA registration. I think you will find it impossible to do so as there is no move to start charging. There is a serious problem with some travel websites fraudulently charging people for the registration. The ESTA has setup a website to fight these people.

As far as Brazil is concerned, in 2003 when the US started fingerprinting people that enter the US on visa, a Brazilian judge ruled that due to clause in the Brazilian constitution requiring people that enter Brazil be treated the same way as a Brazilian that enter that country, Brazil setup fingerprinting for US citizens on entry. Have no problem with the principle, the trouble is the US fingerprinting is completely electronic and takes about 30 seconds. Brazil setup a manual system that takes up to 5 minutes per person.

Would be good if you at least posted accurate information.

TH

Please post a link for your assertion that the US intends to start charging for the ESTA registration. I think you will find it impossible to do so as there is no move to start charging. There is a serious problem with some travel websites fraudulently charging people for the registration. The ESTA has setup a website to fight these people.

Here's a link to the stories written on this the subject :

http://news.google.com/news/more?pz=1&...MbETnPHKcpOBdhM

Or go to news.google.com and search for 'esta charge' then click the link that comes up saying 'all 161 news articles'

This is a good one which summarises what they are trying to do : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8241255.stm

The crux of it is, the US wants more tourists but doesn't believe that the US should pay for them, so introducing this charge will allow the US to fund a new program to promote foreign travel to the US saving the American taxpayer money. Quite brilliant, but also extremely greedy and it will be seen as such around the world. This is why the retaliations are being discussed in our part of the world.

The move to introduce it is : The Travel Promotion Act, which is currently under consideration in U.S. Congress according to one of the articles.

I really hope this helps.

Here's a link to the stories written on this the subject :

http://news.google.com/news/more?pz=1&...MbETnPHKcpOBdhM

Or go to news.google.com and search for 'esta charge' then click the link that comes up saying 'all 161 news articles'

This is a good one which summarises what they are trying to do : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8241255.stm

The crux of it is, the US wants more tourists but doesn't believe that the US should pay for them, so introducing this charge will allow the US to fund a new program to promote foreign travel to the US saving the American taxpayer money. Quite brilliant, but also extremely greedy and it will be seen as such around the world. This is why the retaliations are being discussed in our part of the world.

The move to introduce it is : The Travel Promotion Act, which is currently under consideration in U.S. Congress according to one of the articles.

I really hope this helps.

I stand corrected and thank you for that. It does appear likely that visa wavier travelers that do not pay the $131 visa fee will have to pay $10 when registering with ESTA. Looks like it could be as early as the end of this month.

This will be matched by funds from the private tourism sector to fund the program. No US taxpayer money will be used, which is probably the main reason it passed the US Senate yesterday. It now goes to the House of Representatives where passage is not expected to take long.

I certainly understand the EU’s and others objection to this. It's rather typical of our Congress to play to domestic audiences at the expense of international relations. Would not be a bit surprised to see the EU and the UK start charging US citizens to enter.

TH

It would be unexpectedly nice if the UK/Euro contingent here could pass up the opportunity to bash the US, at least occasionally.

Fortunately, the EDIT function affords even the forgetful the chance to get in their licks...

No costly US visa needed for Australians (and Europeans) but I'd still recommend getting one. Without a visa it's up to the passport control officer to let you in or not. With a visa he'd have to refer you to a supervisor before your being rejected. As a Belgian citizen traveling single I've had less than welcome receptions at US passport control over the years; especially since 9/11. Only my having a visa saved me many times from being summarily rejected by European-hating immigration officers. BTW, I dress and look very conservatively, no hippie-looking me! It's just my "wrong" nationality. Now, as citizen of "friendly" (ie lapdog) Australia, you should have no nationality problem but one never knows!

• 2 weeks later...

No costly US visa needed for Australians (and Europeans) but I'd still recommend getting one. Without a visa it's up to the passport control officer to let you in or not. With a visa he'd have to refer you to a supervisor before your being rejected. As a Belgian citizen traveling single I've had less than welcome receptions at US passport control over the years; especially since 9/11. Only my having a visa saved me many times from being summarily rejected by European-hating immigration officers. BTW, I dress and look very conservatively, no hippie-looking me! It's just my "wrong" nationality. Now, as citizen of "friendly" (ie lapdog) Australia, you should have no nationality problem but one never knows!

I am surprised that certain people can't refrain from knocking other countries just because their own country is so incompetent and useless with no positive contribution to the global community except condemnation and an innate desire to tell the rest of the world what they have done wrong.

The question by the OP relates to the necessity for a visa to enter the U.S.

The answer is no.

The fact that a person from a different country to the OP viz. Belgium - who was more likely to tell US immigration how to do their job was not made welcome certainly has no bearing on the post and might indicate why he / she / it had a hard time.

You got any chocolate on you??

I received this from the Australian Travel Agent that handles the travel for the University I work at - sent this week.

It is now compulsory for all Australian passport holders to go online and register for entry to USA, prior to leaving Australia. The website is https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov.

That's right, you're vetted in advance and they are going to start charging for this service very soon but it's 'not a visa' according to the US.

Sounds like a visa to me.