Born A Baby In Pattaya

Maurio

Hi everyone,and thank's in advantage to everyone that will answer and help me.

My wife is 7 months pregnant.We live in Pattaya,but we are no so clear where is the best place for born our daughter.

I know many hospitals,but i don't their facilities for that and also the price.Someone of you have experience that before?

Thank you again.Maurio

Hi

I am married to a Thai woman, we had a baby boy 6 months ago.

My wife was insistent that we were not going to pay 40,000 b for BHP or PIH - private hospitals.

She also didn't want to have a c section.

So we attended prenatal clinic where she gave the Doc 6000 baht in his hand to ensure that he would see her through to delivery (natural) at Sriracha hospital.

Everything was fine - then 2 weeks before the baby was due - she went into labour - we went to the hospital is Sriracha at 6am - ( i was left in the corridor) at 9am they had given her drugs - they wheeled her out - she said 'Doctor says baby too big - must have C section' - I didn't mind either way as long as it was best for her and baby.

then she was taken into the delivery room - again I had to wait - after about 70 minutes she was wheeled out - she was unconscious - without baby - nobody spoke English i didn't know if we had a boy or a girl or even if the baby was alive.

I was frantic.

Her sister was enroute to the hospital - they arrived about 1 hour later - the nurse told her - we had a boy - and that we would see him soon - that was all we were told.

We waited another hour then they said we could look at him through the glass - he was in a room with about 20 other new borns - it was beautiful - but the moment was not what I had anticipated or hoped for.

Anyway he was fine - due to the C section my wife had to stay in hospital for a few days - that was fine - we got a private room - cost about 9000 all in - then 4 days after the birth we came home.

on the sunday - 6 days after the birth my wife had a nasty infection on her scar - she was taken back to hospital - we kept the baby at home - so now no breast milk either.

It was a fuc_king hellish time i can tell you - thanks god I had her family to support me.

Anyway she got out after about 6 more days and had to take it very easy.

6 months on, I look back and wonder would I do it like this again - would I fuc_k!

My wife's friend had a baby2 weeks before ours - at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital - private room i think it cost 40,000 - all in - no worries no infection no <deleted> doctors cutting your wife up - no hours of wondering if your baby is alive.

So the next time I will definitely use a private hospital no doubt about it.

I know some of the hospitals get a hard time and yes they do rip people off a bit, but what price do you put on your wife's and baby's well being?

Anyway I hope this help - I wanted to make a post about this for a long time - so thank you as well.

Good luck

Dawson

If you do not have the Money for the above then why don't you try the Banglamung Hospital, I know a Thai Lady who had her baby there, total cost was about 700bt.. no problems whatsoever.

I also know someone who had an urgent operation there - no problems whatsoever.

I have been a few times for Minor things, and in the daytime there is a long queue, so be expected to wait.

But all in all, like I say, its OK if you don't have a lot of money to spend on hospital treatment.

I would not have known about this hospital but for my Thai partner taking me once when i had an Ear Infection, I was seen to straight away as it was night time and there was no one else waiting.

So before anyone might say - no way, it has always been OK for me and a few of my friends.

Thank you everyone again.We went this morning to Bph hospital for the monthly check and,oh my gosh,the bill was about 4200 bath for a few miniutes of check.

No medicine was given(that because my wife has no finish them yet),no ultrasound.

When we went to ask why last month only 1700 the answer was:the price increase every month with your wife pregnant status(i hope you understand what i mean,because i am not English).So this is scary me about what we will do when it will the time:go there or try Banglamung?We live in Thepprasit road.This situation is scaring me a lot.What do you think?

Don't be scared. If your Lady is Thai then she should know the Banglamung Hospital at Naklua - it did well for my Thai Friend who had her Baby there with no problems

Yes Pattaya_girl.We know it.Most of the thai ladies works with me has their baby born over there.But you know....

I'm scared of BPH about how they can increase the basic faires(29000 bath for 3 days).At the end i think we will choose Bh.Hoper all ok.

Both of my children were born at BHP. When my wife was pregnant with our second child we decided to visit all of the hospitals in the Pattaya / Siricha area, ask some questions and look at the different prices charged. Hospitals like Banglamung, Queen Siriat (?) Siricha and a few others I can not recall the names of, said that they had a basic package for delivery, but it we were to 'tip' the Dr an extra 10,000 baht he would take extra good care of my wife. <deleted>! So at the end of the day we went back to BHP and had the delivery package for 40,000 Baht. I think our first child's delivery package (6 years ago) was about 30,000 Baht. The service provided by BHP was excellant, no problems at all. There was no extra charges added on. I guess at the end of the day you get what you pay for in Thailand. So based on my experience, if you have the funds I would recommend BHP, but that is only my opinion. Good luck to you and your wife on your expectant birth.

Both of my children were born at BHP. When my wife was pregnant with our second child we decided to visit all of the hospitals in the Pattaya / Siricha area, ask some questions and look at the different prices charged. Hospitals like Banglamung, Queen Siriat (?) Siricha and a few others I can not recall the names of, said that they had a basic package for delivery, but it we were to 'tip' the Dr an extra 10,000 baht he would take extra good care of my wife. <deleted>! So at the end of the day we went back to BHP and had the delivery package for 40,000 Baht. I think our first child's delivery package (6 years ago) was about 30,000 Baht. The service provided by BHP was excellant, no problems at all. There was no extra charges added on. I guess at the end of the day you get what you pay for in Thailand. So based on my experience, if you have the funds I would recommend BHP, but that is only my opinion. Good luck to you and your wife on your expectant birth.

Amen to that.

Our child is due mid October and we checked all the private hospitals in the area and found BPH the best equipped/staffed so it you can afford it go there, which we will/do.

Good luck

Thank you everyone again.We went this morning to Bph hospital for the monthly check and,oh my gosh,the bill was about 4200 bath for a few miniutes of check.

No medicine was given(that because my wife has no finish them yet),no ultrasound.

When we went to ask why last month only 1700 the answer was:the price increase every month with your wife pregnant status(i hope you understand what i mean,because i am not English).So this is scary me about what we will do when it will the time:go there or try Banglamung?We live in Thepprasit road.This situation is scaring me a lot.What do you think?

If that was me I would go back and ask the DOCTOR to give you a break down of the bill about a year ago the price was 4000+B for an ultrasound the doctors fee is normally about 500-600B + 150B for the nurses and facilities we have just come back from BHP after having baby checked over after an infection cost 580B including the Doctors charge of 400B

My baby was born in BHP 4000B C-Section I had no complaints I stayed with her all the time she was there they made up a sofa for me to sleep on I had no complaints at all and was very pleased with the service we got I thing that a normal delivery was 30000B

I have never been charged more that 600B for the doctors fee at BHP and we have been there many times over the last 18 months

My recommendation for prenatal care has been posted before.

From Sukhumvit, just head up Soi Potisan (which is the street immediately south of the BPH) heading west towards the Pattaya-Naklua Rd. Go through one set of traffic lights and about 500m before you get to the T-intersection, on the left side (and almost opposite a 7-eleven) you will see Dr Supanee's Ob-Gyn clinic. Phone 038 421378 and make an appointment as she is a very busy lady.

You (and your good wife) will thank me for it.

Edited by NanLaew

I don't mean to be rude, but reading between the lines it seems like you're so unprepared about having a child - by all means yes try to find the most reasonable hospital for your wife to deliver the baby safely and cost effectively - but so far the charges you mentioned seem reasonable yet you're so upset and worry about it. Expect more responsibilites and even higher cost after your child is born: routine doctor visits, unexpected illness, schooling, extra curriculer activities, and of course room, board, clothing, entertainment, etc etc - I hope you're prepared for these. This is just financial responsibities - and there's of course a very real emotional responsibilities. Welcome to parenthood and good luck :-).

From Sukhumvit, just head up Soi Potisan (which is the street immediately south of the BPH) heading west towards the Pattaya-Naklua Rd. Go through one set of traffic lights and about 500m before you get to the T-intersection, on the left side (and almost opposite a 7-eleven) you will see Dr Supanee's Ob-Gyn clinic. Phone 038 421378 and make an appointment as she is a very busy lady.

You (and your good wife) will thank me for it.

Me and my other half have been visiting Dr.Supanee,and i would highly recommend her.My daughters due in about 3 weeks the delivery will take place in BPH.

I don't mean to be rude, but reading between the lines it seems like you're so unprepared about having a child - by all means yes try to find the most reasonable hospital for your wife to deliver the baby safely and cost effectively - but so far the charges you mentioned seem reasonable yet you're so upset and worry about it. Expect more responsibilites and even higher cost after your child is born: routine doctor visits, unexpected illness, schooling, extra curriculer activities, and of course room, board, clothing, entertainment, etc etc - I hope you're prepared for these. This is just financial responsibities - and there's of course a very real emotional responsibilities. Welcome to parenthood and good luck :-).

I agree, the charges are not outrages, albeit on the high side.

Our last check-up at Phayathai in Sri Racha was 500. The first one with Ultra Sound, blood test etc was also above 4,000.

I agree with watchamacallit, if you want to raise a kid and give this kid some opportunity for his/her life beyond motorcycle taxi driver, it will be costly in this part of the world.

even a cheap school will cost you around 10,000 Baht a month!

My daughter was born at Samitivej Sriracha, good service, plain but comfortable upgraded 2 room suite with net access. If our ob/gyn would have done the delivery at BPH, would have preferred the latter, the rooms are much nicer and of course much closer to our Pattaya place. Not to mention that a 30 minute drive (to Sriracha AND back) isn't exactly just around the block, especially if it's raining or you draw an unlucky traffic day through Laem Chabang.

That said, if I were spending more time in Bangkok, I'd choose Vejthani Hospital, where my son was born over both. Our other 'favorite' ob/gyn is based there and their "Mum Villa" set up trumps both Samitivej and BPH. The delivery room, the nursery, and where you stay the night are all close together and whoever did the design kept the hearts/minds of new parents in mind when doing the layout. You can open the door to your room and see your kid literally 1 meter away from you in the glass enclosed nursery. Sure, you can usually trust nursery staff, but here you can see everything up close and personal 24-7. When you want to spend time with your kid, it takes 1 min. to wheel his/her cart into your room. Nothing hidden behind curtains or on different floors of the hospital where your kid has to be carted up and down in an elevator to the patient's room, often with sick folks packed in.

:)

p.s. that's for births though... for open ended treatment (say for serious illnesses), I'd avoid the Bangkok Hospital Group altogether and go to a place like Vichaiyuth Hospital in Bangkok where many of the doctor's doctors (as well as many who actually practice AND teach medicine) are based... but for minor scrapes, accidents, etc. things where there aren't too many things they can do to you to pump up the bill, it's a comfortable, professional, and friendly place to stay.

Edited by Heng

• 2 weeks later...

For those with expectant mums, you could consider a birthing hospital nearer to where your wife's family is. We did the first 6-7 months with Dr Supanee as ob-gyn and then moved home for the big event where the wife's family was close at hand (although it was only the mother-in-law and myself that attended the actual birth). Saved some money on inflated Pattaya private care costs and had a comfort factor with a rather excellent ob-gyn in Udon.

That may be the key for those still planning to use local alternatives to BHP. You should visit whatever place is on a 'short-list' and meet the attending ob-gyn and see if there's a comfort factor. If your wife feels comfortable with that person, that would be the decider. Cost should never be a deciding criteria; see post #3. However, if financial restrictions are a reality, then some radical budgeting may need to be enacted so that some have the requisite cash in hand in 9 months time.

I agree with NanLaew, going home to her city/village is a good idea. Near her family and their support is of great value.

We had normal birth, 4 days in Vip room (aircon,bathroom,tv,fridge) total bill 7.400 only.

The first weeks as a mum can be very hard, what is better than have mother and sisters around to help?