What A Lot Of Medals !

aletta

QUOTE(johnh101 @ 2005-03-17 11:07:50)

QUOTE(gburns57au @ 2005-03-17 14:24:33)

QUOTE(Gazza @ 2005-03-17 09:53:28)

QUOTE(toastwars @ 2005-03-17 15:48:26)

You can get a medal for blowing a whistle and waving a glo-stick in a car park too.

You deserve more than a medal for that observation. I forgot about them guys with their ribbons won in the great 'Battle of the Auto Space Allocation'.

Arise Sir Toastie.

Some of them actually got medals for fighting against the Khmer Rouge and on the Burmese border. The larger ones are orders that have been given in recognition of attaining a certain position and for contributing to Thailand. Ex Oz PM Paul Keating was awarded the Order of the White Elephant, one of the highest awards for his part in the building of the Friendship Bridge (funded by Australia)

Just remember that some of the medals have been earnt in combat before you start making light of them.

With all due respect, please be serious, how many of them do you honestly believe have been in combat ?

And how many havent......the answer is we just dont know.....but would you make fun of your own countrymans medals...I think not.

How many wars have there been ?

I used to pass the Victory monument every day on a bus and would ask the passengers what the monument was for. Guess what none of them knew!!!!

If you can find a Thai person who knows what it is for, well done.

My Father-in-law(Thai) was in the Vietnam war, he has got a few medals, but I don't think he actually was in combat, I could be wrong though.

One of my best friends has got the Order of the White Elephant, awarded by HRH the King, and given by Chavalit. They are not given out to farang lightly, especially the level he has. He actually took it to the bank in Bagkok Bank in 97 when they refused to change his money, he said the bank manager was on his knees apologising. His medal was given for diplomatic work done on the border with Cambodia. He was given a special visa, and a few other amazing benefits that no farang usually gets, all because of this award.

Shouldn't really make fun of them as some are very prestigious awards. Medals like the Order of the white elephant, cannot be compared to the things security guards wear.

Edited by Neeranam

QUOTE(johnh101 @ 2005-03-17 11:07:50)

QUOTE(gburns57au @ 2005-03-17 14:24:33)

QUOTE(Gazza @ 2005-03-17 09:53:28)

QUOTE(toastwars @ 2005-03-17 15:48:26)

You can get a medal for blowing a whistle and waving a glo-stick in a car park too.

You deserve more than a medal for that observation. I forgot about them guys with their ribbons won in the great 'Battle of the Auto Space Allocation'.

Arise Sir Toastie.

Some of them actually got medals for fighting against the Khmer Rouge and on the Burmese border. The larger ones are orders that have been given in recognition of attaining a certain position and for contributing to Thailand. Ex Oz PM Paul Keating was awarded the Order of the White Elephant, one of the highest awards for his part in the building of the Friendship Bridge (funded by Australia)

Just remember that some of the medals have been earnt in combat before you start making light of them.

With all due respect, please be serious, how many of them do you honestly believe have been in combat ?

And how many havent......the answer is we just dont know.....but would you make fun of your own countrymans medals...I think not.

How many wars have there been ?

I used to pass the Victory monument every day on a bus and would ask the passengers what the monument was for. Guess what none of them knew!!!!

If you can find a Thai person who knows what it is for, well done.

My Father-in-law(Thai) was in the Vietnam war, he has got a few medals, but I don't think he actually was in combat, I could be wrong though.

One of my best friends has got the Order of the White Elephant, awarded by HRH the King, and given by Chavalit. They are not given out to farang lightly, especially the level he has. He actually took it to the bank in Bagkok Bank in 97 when they refused to change his money, he said the bank manager was on his knees apologising. His medal was given for diplomatic work done on the border with Cambodia. He was given a special visa, and a few other amazing benefits that no farang usually gets, all because of this award.

Shouldn't really make fun of them as some are very prestigious awards. Medals like the Order of the white elephant, cannot be compared to the things security guards wear.

The Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant has six different classes.

Arise Sir Toastie.

Do us a favour! Thailand and China were two of the biggest supporters of the Khmer Rouge, ably helped by training from the SAS in mine laying and financial inducements from the US to help flush out those naughty Vietnamese forces from Cambodia. Or perhaps you meant fighting to get at the gems and timber from the Khmer Rouge? :o

And which part of the Kangaroo Bridge did Paul "Intransigent" Keating build? Laying those useful rails down the middle perhaps? :D

Arise Sir Toastie.

Do us a favour! Thailand and China were two of the biggest supporters of the Khmer Rouge, ably helped by training from the SAS in mine laying and financial inducements from the US to help flush out those naughty Vietnamese forces from Cambodia. Or perhaps you meant fighting to get at the gems and timber from the Khmer Rouge? :o

And which part of the Kangaroo Bridge did Paul "Intransigent" Keating build? Laying those useful rails down the middle perhaps? :D

One Robert James Lee Hawke inititiated the bridge project. He was given the highest ' Special Class ' award of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant.

Brother Keating got the same at the handover of the bridge.

Without entering into the fray, I visited Bear Cat in SVN and if my memory serves me correctly Thai contingent 40,000, we had max 8500 give or take 500 and that was at 2 + locations.

Always check ones facts before slinging the manure.

Anyway they are a pain in the shirt, puts holes etc not like the wise bus conductor or para cop with his 2 or 3 + rows the holes are sewn which makes it look much smarter.

Light up your flamers if you like.

Mijan24 :o

Do us a favour! Thailand and China were two of the biggest supporters of the Khmer Rouge, ably helped by training from the SAS in mine laying and financial inducements from the US to help flush out those naughty Vietnamese forces from Cambodia. Or perhaps you meant fighting to get at the gems and timber from the Khmer Rouge?  :o

And which part of the Kangaroo Bridge did Paul "Intransigent" Keating build? Laying those useful rails down the middle perhaps?  :D

So that is why there were refugee camps in Thailand for the people escaping from Cambodia and the Khmer Rouge....I guess those planes I saw bombing Cambodian positions and the sound of gunfire I heard, was just the Thais showing their support for the Khmer Rouge.

As for the comment on Keating.....it says so much, I donrt need to say more.

One Robert James Lee Hawke inititiated the bridge project. He was given the highest ' Special Class ' award of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant.

Brother Keating got the same at the handover of the bridge.

Not sure about Hawkes involvment.....heard nothing about that here....only that Keating got his award....the media made a big deal about it

G'day Burnsie,

as I have been absent since the early 70's from Aus, I'm not up to scratch on guys like Keating, who my old Dragon insists I went to skoon with, but I don't recall him... <deleted> does "Paul "Intransigent" Keating" mean pls?

Thanx

Burns its not ex inf Ross ??

For those with a bit of maturity on their side post Vietnam there was the occ Korea ribbon about then Borneo with the advent of Aust involvement in SVN you then had swishers & clangers.

Post 1980 the SVN brigade dwindled to becoming something of a rarity then we must have bit the same bus ticket as the Thais (probably US influence) - Aust Govt started handing out to police, fire brigade, ambulance, long service short service or time etc etc so now they are a plenty in Aust as well.

It is part of recognition/pride/motivation you may not like to recognise it but one of the underlying reasons for people joining the services is uniform and decorations just expand this in Thailand to many many avenues of Government Service.

Burns its not ex inf Ross ??

For those with a bit of maturity on their side post Vietnam there was the occ Korea ribbon about then Borneo with the advent of Aust involvement in SVN you then had swishers & clangers.

Post 1980 the SVN brigade dwindled to becoming something of a rarity then we must have bit the same bus ticket as the Thais (probably US influence) - Aust Govt started handing out to police, fire brigade, ambulance, long service short service or time etc etc so now they are a plenty in Aust as well.

It is part of recognition/pride/motivation you may not like to recognise it but one of the underlying reasons for people joining the services is uniform and decorations just expand this in Thailand to many many avenues of Government Service.

If you are asking if I am an ex grunt called Ross....then the answer is no....I was a little young for Vietnam....I am ex RASigs....74 -80....

The gunfire and bombing runs that I saw were in the early 90's....my ex's village is only a short distance from the border and we were able to see the jets flying in on their runs and quite often heard the gunfire in the mornings.....New year always made me a bit jumpy....never knew if it was the fire crackers or what...lol

The Khmer Rouge would quite often raid the villages in this area to steal chooks and whatever they could get their hands on...most houses had a firearm tucked away....the bounty they declared on any Aussie head in '95, only made me a bit more nervous.....lol