Change Hd In My Imac 24"

paal349

Unfortunatly Apple see it fit to make computers without any possibility for laymen to change the hdd, so I wonder if anyone know where I can get this done cheap(ly) here in Bangkok? Anyone had it done?

I wish to upgrade to a 300 or 320GB 7200RPM.

Any authorized Apple dealer, will cost you about 800 - 1000 baht. I believe this is a 3.5" hard disk in which case I'd go for at least 500 or 750GB, so you don't have to do it again in the future.

I thought the iMacs were user-serviceable, but this article suggests they are, once again, not: http://archive.macfixitforums.com/ubbthrea...53584/site_id/1

Apple's keeps flip-flopping on this one, the first iMac G5 that came out you could just replace the HD by taking off a few screws on the back. Now it's near-impossible again. The old MacBook Pro was a nightmare, the new unibody ones are dead easy (user-serviceable).

As a long term Windows/Intel user, I always had great respect for Apple, which were regarded as the "superior" product for many applications. Last year I bought one. What a pile of crap. How can Apple sell hardware like this? I even have to sit almost next to an AP before the wirleess will connect.

Now it's near-impossible again

Its really simple I have done 2 of them myself.

breakdown

I would do it myself pick up any SATA 7200rpm hard drive from pantip / fortune. Strip it down using the above guide.

You will only break anything if you are careless ie drop the screen or something otherwise the process is simple.

Above link is just photos if you use google there is hundreds of step by step guides to do this.

Edited by namoo

As a long term Windows/Intel user, I always had great respect for Apple, which were regarded as the "superior" product for many applications. Last year I bought one. What a pile of crap. How can Apple sell hardware like this? I even have to sit almost next to an AP before the wirleess will connect.

sounds like theres something wrong with your wireless or your mac - they come with a great warranty, you know :)

never had connectivity issues with my unibody MacBook Pro...

Now it's near-impossible again

Its really simple I have done 2 of them myself.

breakdown

I would do it myself pick up any SATA 7200rpm hard drive from pantip / fortune. Strip it down using the above guide.

You will only break anything if you are careless ie drop the screen or something otherwise the process is simple.

Above link is just photos if you use google there is hundreds of step by step guides to do this.

Simple is relative... what if you don't have a large suction cup handy - how do you lift the screen?

you don't need the suction cup.

Put it this way if u are doing your raid0 in your macbook pro. Then its no more difficult to change the HD in a imac.

its just a bunch of screws. and having seen some of the so called Apple approved engineers at work in Thailand. I would rather do it myself :)

Use this guide its the probably the best one:

imac HD upgrade guide

Just make sure you have a large work surface and the correct screwdrivers.

Edited by namoo

Hmmm, I am not unfamiliar with changing hardware in my previous Windows machines, but I would be more comfortable with having someone doing it for me that maybe done it a couple of times before. Does these places give a guarantee for the product when they are fixing it? And if they only cost 1000B and use 3.5 (thought it was 2.5) it cuts the price down considerably.