Elephant Round-up

songhklasid

Can anyone tell me the dates of the main w/end of the elephant show @ surin in november? I would like to see, then carry on to the thai/camb border then on to siem riep, has anyone done this route by bus/taxi &good hotels in surin ? thanking you for your help

songhklasid.

Can anyone tell me the dates of the main w/end of the elephant show @ surin in november? I would like to see, then carry on to the thai/camb border then on to siem riep, has anyone done this route by bus/taxi &good hotels in surin ? thanking you for your help

songhklasid.

hello the date is 21 - 22 November 2009 and you can go by train from bangkok take a look on the web site http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp and for the hotel i canot help you so have funn its a verry nice show

You can contact Martin @ The Farang Connection in the Issan forum and he will help you out. There are plenty of hotels in the area or even try The White Elephant Resort or just google freebeerforyorky, he has plenty of info on his site. I would advise you to be quick as most places are fully booked for that weekend.

You can get a bus to the Cambodian border (Chong Chom) from Surin, it takes about an hour and is/was about 50 baht. I believe you can get a ride from there through to Siem Reap but don't know much about it, Martin will be the best guy to help you out there.

John.....

Edited by johnsurin

The morning before the official Roundup weekend is when the elephants have their 'breakfast'. There is a parade that starts from the Railway station and progresses up the road to where a kilometer of tables are set up with fruit etc. - the elephants breakfast. At the train station you can pay a mahout 200+++ Baht to ride on the back of their beast actually in the parade. Although the spectacle of the roundup is very good, this breakfast morning is also a not to be missed memory. For some reason this day is not publicized. Have fun.