Thai Soldiers Accused Of Burning Alive Teenage Logger

webfact

Thai soldiers accused of burning alive teenage logger

Phnom Penh - A senior provincial official in Cambodia accused Thai soldiers of shooting a teenager engaged in illegal logging and then burning him, local media reported Monday.

The district governor of Samrong district in Oddar Meanchey province in western Cambodia said 16-year-old Yon Rith was arrested by Thai soldiers for illegally felling trees in Thai territory.

Governor Thon Nol said another teenager was also shot and seriously injured by Thai soldiers, but was carried back to Cambodia by villagers and taken to a provincial hospital.

"We are looking for all measures to assist the victims as well as the actions of the Thai authorities," Thon Nol told the Phnom Penh Post newspaper.

He said Yon Rith's family had recovered the teenager's body and taken it back to their village for the funeral.

Another official in the provincial government condemned the killing.

"Why did they burn a person alive?" asked Pich Ratana. "(The armed forces) should have arrested them if they did anything wrong in Thailand."

The newspaper said the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh was not available to comment on the allegation.

There have been other incidents in recent weeks of Cambodians being arrested by the Thai military for logging illegally across the common border. Two Cambodian men were shot dead by Thai soldiers last month in an act the Thai military described as self-defence. dpa rmc tl

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/14

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically, they have a right to open fire...

I'm sure that's exactly how the Cambodians see it too. :)

Nothing like shooting a trespassing villager to calm things down. If it is true, it is a completely disproportionate response that can only serve to raise the tensions down there.

Could you imagine the fall out if the Cambodians did something similar to a trespassing Thai?

I would say the young man was guilty of breaking immigration law by illegally entering Thailand. If shooting an unarmed civilian for that offense is justified I strongly recommend TV members to not overstay their visa!!

Nothing like shooting a trespassing villager to calm things down. If it is true, it is a completely disproportionate response that can only serve to raise the tensions down there.

Could you imagine the fall out if the Cambodians did something similar to a trespassing Thai?

Ofcourse it is bad and if they where at any length professional in their job they would have handled it differently.

But don't expect any arrests over it.

Ofcourse it is bad and if they where at any length professional in their job they would have handled it differently.

But don't expect any arrests over it.

You think there would ever be a policeman to have the balls to arrest a solider for shooting a Cambodian? Now I know it is funny season most of the time in Thailand, but that I doubt any of us will ever live to see that here.

I would expect Abhisit to request an enquiry if nothing else. I won't hold my breath though. Shooting Cambodians is probably considered good sport by the army.

Edited by Thai at Heart

No...they should warn first and give him the chance to surrender. Even then warning shots should be next. But then these are brave macho Thai soldiers who consider an unarmed teenager felling trees a serious enough threat to shoot to kill.

Take on a kid while the South burns. Brave guys.

I would expect Abhisit to request an enquiry if nothing else. I won't hold my breath though.

chances are slim indeed. after all, the military basically gave Abhisit his job on a platter. Abhisit, the impotent puppet, has their back.

Just so we are clear, the word from the Thai military - as ARRESTS of illegal loggers has been carried out through out the week - is that this shooting was justified as it was an act of self-defense.

It is all in the OP.

I gotta agree with Mr. Tawp, in most civilized countries the Rules of Engagement clearly state that illegal loggers are to be shot on site, then burned (dead or alive.)

Unless of course they are arms dealers, then they should be commmended and released to peddle weapons. Old planet earth is a bit over crowded anyway, eh Tawp?

Edited by Lancelot

Just so we are clear, the word from the Thai military - as ARRESTS of illegal loggers has been carried out through out the week - is that this shooting was justified as it was an act of self-defense.

It is all in the OP.

I gotta agree with Mr. Tawp, in most civilized countries the Rules of Engagement clearly state that illegal loggers are to be shot on site, then burned (dead or alive.)

Unless of course they are arms dealers, then they should be commmended and released to peddle weapons. Old planet earth is a bit over crowded anyway, eh Tawp?

I love this forum, filled with people clearly unable to read the news and then flaming others that do.

Thanks for proving that not everyone should be allowed to vote.

*sigh*

People, again, read the OP.

They didn't fire at unarmed schoolkids out on a pick-nick.

Where in the OP does it say the teenagers were armed?

The reference to self defence was in relation to another shooting last month, not this case.

I think the kid who got away can consider himself very fortunate that he did not also end up on the BBQ in an attempt to get rid of the evidence.

The reference to self defence was in relation to another shooting last month, not this case.

I think the kid who got away can consider himself very fortunate that he did not also end up on the BBQ in an attempt to get rid of the evidence.

Indeed the boy can. And burning the first, even if dead, is just stupid and unprofessional.

But i don't subscribe to any notion that any soldier fires their gun upon others because they think it is fun, but because they felt a genuine threat.

I love this forum, filled with people clearly unable to read the news and then flaming others that do.

Thanks for proving that not everyone should be allowed to vote.

*sigh*

Re-read the news(for what's worth,onesided).

Will wait for a comment on the Thai side before forming an opinion.

You are NOT questioning the ability of the Forum members to read the news,but their understanding of them.

If they don't share your opinion=they are stupid! :)

Indeed the boy can. And burning the first, even if dead, is just stupid and unprofessional.

But i don't subscribe to any notion that any soldier fires their gun upon others because they think it is fun, but because they felt a genuine threat.

I would think criminal and barbaric a more apt description.

Well, I could not find any reference to the teenagers being armed, but never mind because Tawp has declared that I can't read anyway. Besides, we alll know that dirt poor Cambodian teenagers are armed to the teeth, with the latest deadly weapons that out class Thai infantry arms in every way. I think that is written in the OP as well :)

If you want to state that you think the Thai military shoots unarmed 'kids' for fun, then why don't you do so instead of dancing around it?

Don't put words in my mouth (fun reference) but how about this Tawp? http://www.thaiworldview.com/art_hist.htm

Thai History

October 14, 1973, October 6, 1976, and Black May 1992 are major dates in Thai history for the struggle for democracy. ... This leaded to the 6 october 1976 massacre in Thammasat university where 300 students were killed by soldiers. ... Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai, facing protests against his decision to award a...

I seem to recall that many students were hung as well.

But, to be honest, I was just pulling your chain to see if your were still awake.

Night night buddy :)

There have been other incidents in recent weeks of Cambodians being arrested by the Thai military for logging illegally across the common border. Two Cambodian men were shot dead by Thai soldiers last month in an act the Thai military described as self-defence. dpa rmc tl

Some of you had better re-read the OP. This says two Cambodian men were shot LAST MONTH.

I really don't know which is sadder--people who do these things or people who can justify the killing and then burning of a teenager.

There is not enough information to know what happened.  For all we know they may have shot them for stealing the trees they already sold.   Maybe the Cam's are spinning it, but better get down to finding out soon.  My feeling is something more then just trespass is involved, and even if they find it self defense burning a body live or dead is completely wrong they have no right to dispose of a body.  Sounds like cover up and needs full investigation.    Most likely nothing to do with official army business just some sort of sideline thing gone TU.

Stupid and unprofessional?

Stupid and unprofessional?

Stupid and unprofe...........

Mate, what have you been drinking? A young lad gets burned alive seemingly deliberately, which is a heinous and evil act and you brand the culprits "Stupid and unpr..........."

Lost for words. :D:)

Should I ever find myself on the wrong side of the law then I hope to have you as my judge,

Edited by Moonrakers

Apparently, southeast Asians hold grudges for a long long time.

There were wars between what is now Thailand and the territory now called Laos

There were wars between what is now Thailand and the territory now called Burma/Myanmar.

....and much of the animosity of centuries ago, persists.

If you were to superimpose a map of the southwest US over a map of SE Asia, you'd see the states and countries are similar sized. Could SE Asia ever become a loose federation of States with common currency and an egalitarian seat of power? No, not in any of our or our kids' lifetimes. There might be some dialog about it in our grandkids' lifetimes, but not likely. People get set like concrete in their archaic small-minded ways. ...and that contributes to most Thais thinking it's no big deal that a Cambodian gets shot and burned for illegally crossing the border and cutting some trees. There will be other news items in day or two, so they'll have other things to think about.

Edited by brahmburgers