Udon Thani Official Calls For Prostitution To Be Legalised

george

Too bad this couldn't be done in the U.S.A., along with legalizing cannabis, as ways to lower the current record deficit. Otherwise, future

generations of workers will be over burdened in providing Social Security, etc. to retirees, etc.

In the USA, it's a state issue, and actually is legal in a few parts (mostly Nevada), where it's overpriced and boring. Ironic that somebody brings up the USA though, since until recent history, prostitution wasn't illegal in Thailand. It was the USA who pressured them into outlawing prostitution roughly 40 years ago (and it'll be the USA who'd successfully convince them not to legalize it, if the legalization move ever picked up speed).

Legalized prostitution appears less fun (for the John) in places like the state of Nevada than in places like SE Asia. However, to each his own, as they say. The ladies are older and the prices are a lot higher over there. Similar would happen here in Thailand if the industry was legalized. The legal places would probably have an 18 and older rule, therefore the choices would be more 'used' though they'd also be more experienced - which might be good for some types of customers. Who knows, maybe the working girls would form a union and the choices would degrade to American/United Airlines stewardess types - Yikes!

Seriously tho, prices would probably be higher, as getting permits / inspections / paying taxes, and such would drive up price for the service/commodity. Granted, that increase in overhead might be cancelled out by having to pay less police fees. With that in mind, police wouldn't be happy with legalized prostitution, as it would put a dent in their under-the-table income.

Even if prostitution becomes officially legal in Thailand, there will still be dingy places with underage girls. Indeed, the dingy places might proliferate when johns see the comparison.

Similar if pot was legalized, but all that was on offer was inferior stuff, then the underground market for superior stuff wouldn't be hurt.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long overdue.

Thailand has arguably more sex workers than any other country, yet they have no rights and are exploited by the Police, traffickers etc. The sex industry in Thailand is the main reason why so many foreigners choose to visit Thailand regularly and why many end up living here. (whether they like to admit to it or not) :D

It's Legal in Australia, Germany, Holland and many other developed countries. So why not? :)

If it is legal in so many other countries why would they come to Thailand because of prostitutes. They can stay home if they like and use their own countries services. It is more I think than that.

hahaha I can't believe you posted this, have you ever been to Thailand??? Mmm let me think which one would I choose, white skin, fat ass, and saggy tits or a nice slim tanned skin girl with pert tits and a firm ass :D such a hard decission

LMAO.... :D

Most of the sex workers technically have access to the social security fund, if their employers are willing to register them, because they bar, karaoke or massage workers. That only leaves the "garee" type that stand in the street and brothel workers who are largely abducted illegal immigrants.

The point he should be making is decriminalize prostitution where the prostitutes are voluntary workers and over 18. Anyway the guy is just grandstanding.

So the mafia and gangs that already control the sex industry in Thailand, will become legit and legal?

The only difference this will make is that, the gangs would be able to pay off the authorities so they can enter by the front door, rather than the back door, excuse the pun.

Other than the gangs being able to show their faces and becoming even more the untouchables, nothing else would change.

Animatic

Some wag wanted to change the Amazing Thailand campaign to:

Thailand! Even YOU can get laid!

I quite like the idea, and maybe ads in travel sections around the world, "We guarantee you'll get laid or we'll buy your ticket home".

Could help revive the dwindling tourist trade and save billions of baht that's wasted every year in promoting tourism. :D

also, prostitution was legal back in 1970, as was weed. In Udonthani, when you brought a Thai girl into a bar or club she had to show her valid VD card and sign in before she was allowed to enter.

:D

Ah yes.

Come one come all!

Satisfaction Guaranteed!

:)

I don't think legalising prostitution has actually succeeded anywhere in the world... What has it actually achieved???

A small number of working girls, once they have given up on ever being able to be anything more, go to work in a handful of legal brothels...

Here in New South Wales, Australia, (I only detail it because it was referred to as being legal earlier) a very small number of brothels have done it mostly as a 'public statement' or experiment... 99.9% of sex work is still done illegally... illegal immigrants, underage, in their own residence, outcalls, all still illegal and very much in demand... Legal brothels are relegated to dingy factories in industrial areas serving 0.1% of customers, and most of them are still illegally offering services of illegal immigrants...

If this was to happen in Thailand, recognising that most of the industry is NOT targetted at (relatively poor and cheap) white/european customers, the majority of the industry would never, could never change... demand for underage girls which is NOT driven by the white/european market would remain unchanged, wanting to spend time in a big, expensive, restaurant come club having a party by Thai men in a trendy area would not change... the desire of the girls to leave that world behind them at some stage will not change... the pressure on girls from their boyfriends/family to make as much money as possible (regardless of risk) would not change...

Legal, illegal, the outcome is the same... be concerned about targetting immoral behaviour like (real) human trafficing, indentured workers, underage workers, abusive bosses...

BTW... What is the cheapest way to get from The Airport to Khao San Rd area...

Sorry, wrong thread.

Cheers,

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo

Even though I'm a woman, I support the legalization of prostitution everywhere, since no matter what, it will always be there. The only difference would be that, with it legalized, the women who are involved in the industry would be safer, since they can be more out in the open, resulting in their gaining more knowledge of safer sex practices and a decrease in their murders, etc.

The gals in Thailand already are enough out in the open, aren't they ? :) They do NOT need that legalization for that ! :D

Gaining more knowledge ? Seems very hard to me as most of them have no brains

A decrease of their murders ? i'm not so sure about that.....

Excellent idea, I have proposed this very same concept in my book, and I am very happy to see that the Thai Officials are understanding what I was talking about as well. It will allow more official communication between Police and Prostitutes which will help make the Girls who are part of Human Trafficking and Slave Prostitution stand out more making it possible to purify the Prostitution Industry and make it something that is only done by willing participants, instead of being forced into it against their will. The Girls will receive benefits like any other Job, and pay could also be regulated by the Government which could result in the girls actually earning more money. Looks like a win-win situation all the way around I think.

:)

An excellent idea. Prostitutes would have official income, not "black-economy" income, which would enable them to get services like bank loans and mortgages.

One problem is the continuing stigma of being a sex worker. Efforts to legalize prostitution in the Netherlands foundered when wimmyn's rights groups insisted that all prostitutes be named as such on an open registry. The permanent record of being a prostitute kept the sex workers from signing onto the program, and it was pronounced a failure -- which, of course, was the feminist lobby's intention all along.

What's appalled me is the slave like conditions most bargirls put up with. A job usually means you start, you work, you finish, then you enjoy your free time. Bar girls aren't allowed to date men outside of the bar, they're 24 hour bar girls. If a bar girl is seen dating a guy even in her own time and the owner hasn't received a fine then she's in a lot of trouble. The term slave is quite befitting here. Some recoginition and regulation might help with issues like these.

What's appalled me is the slave like conditions most bargirls put up with. A job usually means you start, you work, you finish, then you enjoy your free time. Bar girls aren't allowed to date men outside of the bar, they're 24 hour bar girls. If a bar girl is seen dating a guy even in her own time and the owner hasn't received a fine then she's in a lot of trouble. The term slave is quite befitting here. Some recoginition and regulation might help with issues like these.

That's a good description of beer bar owner behavior, but in practice it doesn't work that way because the girls can and do move around at will, coming and going as they please. The owners may moan and groan, and they usually do, but there's nothing they can do about it if a girl decides she's quitting or not coming in that day.

I simply cannot support these plans to regulate vice.

Why would you even want to?

When Prohibition is doing such a great job at controlling it.

I think if you regulate the industry, that will result in people actually coming to Thailand purely for the sex industry!

Oh! c'mon, that just could'nt happen :)

1 post has been deleted

Kindly be reminded to read the Thai Visa Forum Rule

which is quoted here in part only

#18) Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution.

.... acknowledgment of that fact is not forbidden.

Thanks for your cooperation

WF

OK MINE!!!!!

I simply cannot support these plans to regulate vice.

Why would you even want to?

When Prohibition is doing such a great job at controlling it.

I think if you regulate the industry, that will result in people actually coming to Thailand purely for the sex industry!

Scooter dude, where have you been? don't you know that around the world they sell "sex tours" to Thailand?

Vice? even though I've never used the services of a prostitute I can see it as a necessity not vice. I can understand a guy that doesn't want the burden of a relationship but wants to get laid from time to time...

Regulated, not regulated... it doesn't matter it won't stop. But if this brings some benefits to some women I think it should be welcome.

Have a nice day everyone :)

Gianni77...............never used the services of a prostitute ?

Well thats it ! just you and me, and i have my doubt about thee. :D

"Campaigns among men to deter them from buying sex from women should help - if there are no buyers, there won't be sellers," she said.

unbelievable comment

In Sweden and Norway it is already a crime for a man to buy sex!

Here in Finland it's soon to be crime just to be a man... =/ 

Well, this post proved what we all like to read about!

Anyway, without reading through all 7 pages, I remember a TV programme a while back on UK TV, called "my sex tourist boyfriend" or something like that. It was in Venuezuela, where prostitution is legal, and a Brit guy ran a beach hotel resort, where you can pay all inclusive for accomodation and a girl every day for the duration of your stay. I thought at the time that that would work well in Thailand, but of course you can't if prostitution is officially illegal. If it became legal in Thailand, that would be a sure fire investment. Could be linked with an airline- "The experience starts as soon as you lift off" if you catch my drift.

Not going to get into the details here ( moderators rules ) but the Venuezuelan web site is on google, where you can get info, book, and check out the ladies.

Sorry. I vote "No".

Institutionalizing prostitution only leads to greater corruption, and to illustrating this path as a viable career opportunity for young girls. Would you let your daughter or sister do it, if legal?

I could only see this as a good choice if customers were licensed, regulated and medically tested as should be the service providers.

"No", it is not the true path.

Good on ya Woody !..................just so long as they don't ban it altogether.

"Campaigns among men to deter them from buying sex from women should help - if there are no buyers, there won't be sellers," she said.

unbelievable comment

I agree it is a stupid comment. 70% of Tourists are single men, they contribute greatly to the Thai economy, they also like to see Thai Girls......... legislation permitting Prostitution is a good idea which would allow the Government more in Taxation, safety for the Girls and regulation which would benefit all...!!! :)

Do you really think that the bar running costs and staff wages, including the girls, can be paid from the couple of guys buying drinks in the average bar?

As for slave like conditions, I'd say they apply more to jobs like factory workers and domestics. Try working at a hotel for 5,000 bht a month, and having to pay 2,000 bht for the room they give you. It's no wonder they have so many girls in Pattaya, Patong et al.

If girls were allowed to have guys outside working hours, how many guys would be willing to pay the bar fines, which are the main source of income for the bars?

Long overdue.

Thailand has arguably more sex workers than any other country, yet they have no rights and are exploited by the Police, traffickers etc. The sex industry in Thailand is the main reason why so many foreigners choose to visit Thailand regularly and why many end up living here. (whether they like to admit to it or not) :D

It's Legal in Australia, Germany, Holland and many other developed countries. So why not? :)

The UK and USA, have many many more prostitutes than Thailand..... but there we call them wives....

Plus New Zealand and Australia.

Does a GF that expects a free dinner before having sex qualify as a prostitute? In my book it does.

unbelievable comment

It is unbelievable, I agree.

There are men who want to pay for sex exactly because there are women who offer the service.

If there were more attractive and intelligent good looking straight men available for this kind of service (people like Jude Law (ref. AI) for example) I'm sure there would be women queueing up for these guys..I'm not sure whether they would be prepared to pay that much though.. A real passion that is not dictated by money but only by the freedom to love is far more valuable and real in my opinion, even if it's for one night.