True Vision In Your Car

Garret

I keep seeing the True Vision add that is promoting there new service that allows you to watch telvision in your car via satallite......In the add you see a small dome mounted on top of cars.I for one will be staying away from cars with these things mounted on top of them. Will the accident rate increase? Not to flame any one nationality in general but it does seem to me that this is a terrible idea for a place with driving habits like the ones found here.

I keep seeing the True Vision add that is promoting there new service that allows you to watch telvision in your car via satallite......In the add you see a small dome mounted on top of cars.I for one will be staying away from cars with these things mounted on top of them. Will the accident rate increase? Not to flame any one nationality in general but it does seem to me that this is a terrible idea for a place with driving habits like the ones found here.

Actually a terrible idea, irrespective of where you are in the world, just not Thailand... :)

Anyhow, Im trying to figure out of there is an alternative to True here.

Judging by the amount of times they repeat a programme or ad for another show during the commercial breaks a better alternative to True is sticking a red hot poker up your arse.

I swear if I see the same ad again for Ghost Whisperer or David Letterman I'm going to climb a tall buliding near True HQ with a sniper rifle and start blasting. :)

Check around some of those semi fancied up pickup trucks and cars you'll see at your local super store. Many of them already have DVD players and screens mounted upfront for the driver's pleasure while motoring along. Even see such displays inside the malls where vendors are pushing installation.

TiT!

Mac

First I have seen no advert to get true in your car on true..

Two I dont think theres a mini dome antenna that can pick up the True sat signal.. I think about 60cm is the minimum dish needed on a clear day, and this would need to be gimballed and fully rotating like on a yacht system.. So a 70 maybe 80cm 'lump' on your roof..

So did the OP dream this up or is there an advert for this ??

I know in europe DVB-T is easy to pick up with a small antenna.. I had an alpine system with DVD TV etc all built in, had a switch that was supposed to disable the TV and DVD functions when driving in the front but that sensor was overridden on install.

True does not control the content of the individual networks they broadcast. They contract to distribute whatever Star, ASN, AXN, ESPN or any other the other networks feeds them. If a network replays a series or movie that is not True's fault. Write a letter to HBO or whomever as True does not control this.

Two I dont think theres a mini dome antenna that can pick up the True sat signal.. I think about 60cm is the minimum dish needed on a clear day, and this would need to be gimballed and fully rotating like on a yacht system.. So a 70 maybe 80cm 'lump' on your roof..

I know in europe DVB-T is easy to pick up with a small antenna.. I had an alpine system with DVD TV etc all built in, had a switch that was supposed to disable the TV and DVD functions when driving in the front but that sensor was overridden on install.

If you get the True Visions magazine, inside you will see an ad for this.

If you get the True Visions magazine, inside you will see an ad for this.

So they do..

http://selfsat.asia/index.php?cid=1&cname=Home

True does not control the content of the individual networks they broadcast. They contract to distribute whatever Star, ASN, AXN, ESPN or any other the other networks feeds them. If a network replays a series or movie that is not True's fault. Write a letter to HBO or whomever as True does not control this.

So when the various movie channels on True are showing older and older movies, and one needs to upgrade to the "Golden Platinum Buddha De Lux package" in order to watch something not from the 70s and 80s, is this True or HBO and other movie channels that control?

Or is it True that does not want to air other HBO channels that show newer films?

Please, this is a genuine question, not trying to be a smart ass (except for the package name).

I start to feel a little bit blackmailed by True, as it seems like I need to constantly upgrade the package in order to avoid being left beind in the old days.

Actually, this is not entirely true. I am not sure if you recall the History Channel a few years ago in Thailand was running the General Sickels leg story over and over again and had very limited programming.

I actually met someone in Singapore who works for the History Channel and asked them why the channel here is such garbage and keeps repeating the same story. The answer was surprising, True (UBC at the time) was buying content and running it, the channel itself was not the History Channel, rather UBC had show airing rights from the History Channel. Since that time, True has actually started broadcasting the History Channel and not selected content, which is why the channel is so such better now. I am not sure if they do this for other channels, but given the poor selection on some of them, it would not surprise me.

I have a friend who works at True.

Yes, it is true that History was physically broadcast from Bangkok, but the program content and scheduling were controlled by AETN in the US and the content was shipped to Bangkok for packaging locally. This was done because AETN did not want to pay an outrageous price for a dedicated satellite feed. However, the broadcast is now totally handled by History channel from outside of Thailand.

Confirm that the content from all networks, such as Discovery, HBO, Cinemax, Star etc etc is totally controlled by them and there is nothing that any of the distributors can do about it. True is not the only distributor facing this issue, there are networks in almost every country who redistribute signals: Starhub in Singpore, PCCW in Hong Kong, Astro in Malaysia. Most do produce local content channels, but in terms of Hollywood and western-type entertainment, they buy turn-around channels from these big name overseas networks at an agreed fee per subscriber.

It's all about economics. Star is owned by Rupert Murdoch and of course if he can save a few bucks on his channels by programming in repeats, he'll certainly do it. All the other channels have big name owners also: AXN is owned by Sony Entertainment and you can guess who owns HBO Asia. Basically it is all a balance between getting what you pay for and the networks trying to run a business which makes a profit.

I've been living in LOS for more than 10 years now and have had UBC in the house from the beginning. In all that time, there have been 2 price increases which were not unreasonable, so I dont have a problem with the fee part. Since MCOT manages the PayTV concession here, they have the final say in the fee issue and any increases must approved by them. Since the additional channels are typically niche programming (like Turbo channel for mechanic-heads) it makes sense to offer them as opt-in services, rather than to apply an across the board increase.

True is expensive and not very good.  I had the Gold package, but wanting to watch American football, I had a choice of either downgrading to Silver or upgrading to Platinum.  I hated to do it, but I upgraded.

I was recently in the Philippines, and I was amazed at the sat television there.  For less money, you could get over 25 English channels (including a wider variety such as the Comedy Channel and FoodTV), 12 Chinese channels, several German and French channels, and a handful of Spanish/Italian/Portuguese/Arabic channels.  And the cost was about half of True's platinum package.

My condo has had huge problems with True and getting adequate signals.  I personally have had True come out at least 15 times over the last 6 or 7 months.  Each time, they change the box and leave, never taking care of the problem.  My neighbor gave up and quite her service. Our new condo manager says he is going to put in a cable system which will be cheaper and offer more, so I guess there is at least some opportunity to use something different here.

True is expensive and not very good.  I had the Gold package, but wanting to watch American football, I had a choice of either downgrading to Silver or upgrading to Platinum.  I hated to do it, but I upgraded.

I was recently in the Philippines, and I was amazed at the sat television there.  For less money, you could get over 25 English channels (including a wider variety such as the Comedy Channel and FoodTV), 12 Chinese channels, several German and French channels, and a handful of Spanish/Italian/Portuguese/Arabic channels.  And the cost was about half of True's platinum package.

My condo has had huge problems with True and getting adequate signals.  I personally have had True come out at least 15 times over the last 6 or 7 months.  Each time, they change the box and leave, never taking care of the problem.  My neighbor gave up and quite her service. Our new condo manager says he is going to put in a cable system which will be cheaper and offer more, so I guess there is at least some opportunity to use something different here.

Maybe you should invest in new dome thing for your car - but instead where it like a hat. No need for flat screen TVs, apparently the image goes straight into your brain. Plus you can take it with you when you go out. It also makes a great hat and is sure to make you the topic of conversation with your friends at the pub.

"Hey Bon, what's on Truesport tonight"

"Hey mate, can you tell me if the Yankees are playing tomorrow"

Furthermore, it's transferrable. Don't feel like talking to the Mrs? just give her the gift of True Vision. No longer will you have to listen to though un-special affects found on every Thai soap. But just remember, if you see her chuckling away to herself, it's not insanity - its True Vision personal dome. :)

That stupid idea actually wouldn't surprise me here. :)

Lets just hope that they don't broadcast those dodgy soap opera's from channel 7 etc into the cars. :D

Maybe you should invest in new dome thing for your car - but instead where it like a hat. No need for flat screen TVs, apparently the image goes straight into your brain. Plus you can take it with you when you go out. It also makes a great hat and is sure to make you the topic of conversation with your friends at the pub.

"Hey Bon, what's on Truesport tonight"

"Hey mate, can you tell me if the Yankees are playing tomorrow"

Furthermore, it's transferrable. Don't feel like talking to the Mrs? just give her the gift of True Vision. No longer will you have to listen to though un-special affects found on every Thai soap. But just remember, if you see her chuckling away to herself, it's not insanity - its True Vision personal dome. :)

Except for one major problem.  Whether hard-wired into my brain or brought down to my television, it is still TrueVision!

• 2 weeks later...

I actually like the fact that they repeat many shows... I am quite busy and my schedule is not alsways set in stone. There are only a few shows that I really want to see, so if I miss one showing I can check it out at another time.

But I would guess that if you watch a lot of TV, then this would be annoying rather than convenient.