Move Against Fake Police Checkpoints

george

TRAFFIC POLICE / MOVE AGAINST FAKE CHECKPOINTS

Public urged to fight extortion

BANGKOK: -- The public has been urged to call 1197 to report traffic police who set up unauthorised checkpoints.

Pol Maj-Gen Montri Jamroon, deputy chief of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, said yesterday that traffic officers are required to submit checkpoint plans to the Traffic Division and the bureau on a monthly basis.

A traffic checkpoint should be in an open area with a number of officers under supervision of a commissioned officer. Motorists should call 1197 if they are suspicious that a checkpoint is bogus, Pol Maj-Gen Montri said.

Police hope to end roadside extortion and attempts by some officers to earn more rewards under a new system in which police receive performance rewards, he said.

In a recent study, police were accused of ``hiding in corners'', waiting for motorists to commit minor offences and then booking them.

Pol Maj-Gen Montri also said the bureau will soon issue warnings instead of tickets for six minor traffic offences that do not cause serious traffic problems or accidents.

The offences include driving a vehicle with a red plate at night, stopping past the solid line, stopping in restricted zones, failure to keep left while driving slowly, and taxi drivers being improperly dressed.

The new policy is expected to take effect by April 20.

Pol Maj-Gen Montri said this measure should improve relations between motorists and traffic police.

--Bangkok Post 2005-03-19

The offences include driving a vehicle with a red plate at night, stopping past the solid line, stopping in restricted zones, failure to keep left while driving slowly, and taxi drivers being improperly dressed.

It would be nice of them to inform the public at what speed they consider 'slow'.

Slow to some is fast. Fast to others can be considered slow. :o

The offences include driving a vehicle with a red plate at night, stopping past the solid line, stopping in restricted zones, failure to keep left while driving slowly, and taxi drivers being improperly dressed

Oh, god, here we go with another round of naked taxi drivers... :o

failure to keep left while driving slowly.

Here we go again; Between Pattaya and Sattahip the cops are daily flagging ANYONE down found in the outer lane and shaking them down for "obstruction of traffic". I once tried to argue that I was passing slow traffic, how could that be done other than in the outer lane but the cop just smiled and wanted "money for a drink". His word. My Thai wife was furious that he couldn't even be bothered to pretend it was not just a shakedown.

Do you legally have to carry your driving licence when behind the wheel?  Got done for B1000 the other day  :D

Huh? Is it different in any other country you've heard of? Some place where you are not required by law to posses a DL on you when driving? Not in my experience, and not here, for sure.

And 1,000 baht? What can I say? :o

Edited by Ajarn

Im not sure where your from but u dont need to in the UK, or the USA from what I know, the earlier for sure  :D

Okay, now maybe the 1,000 baht seems clearer as to 'why'.. :o

I wouldn't try that in the States. Jail is the answer in many places..., and it's required in EVERY State...

I've never driven in the UK, bit I can't imagine the law not requiring you to have a DL when driving....

I just called p1p and he confirmed things are different n the Uk...

But, this ain't the UK... Now you know for sure. :D

Edited by Ajarn

**quote edited by mod**

One thing I don't care for is a rude and insulting idiot like yourself. No call for any of your garbage. I know about the driving laws in the States a whole lot better than you do, obviously.

Edited by cdnvic

I've never heard of anyplace in the world where you can drive without a DL.

Why on earth do you think people go through the hassle and pay a lot of money (at least in Europe) to get a DL if it wasn't necessary? For fun? Lay off the drugs dude!

Edited by madsere

I've never heard of anyplace in the world where you can drive without a DL.

Why on earth do you think people go through the hassle and pay a lot of money (at least in Europe) to get a DL if it wasn't necessary? For fun?  Lay off the drugs dude!

I dont think the eskimos have started issuing em yet. The disagreement was wether u needed to have it behind the wheel with you or not, and wether the police were able to fine you on the spot if you did not :o

Behind the wheel = Whilst driving...

Rather than locked in a desk @ home for example..

Edited by Joey Boy

Huh? Is it different in any other country you've heard of? Some place where you are not required by law to posses a DL on you when driving? Not in my experience, and not here, for sure.

State of New Hampshire - you have twenty-four hours to produce a license for the cops if you get pulled over without one in your possession (unless this has changed recently). However, I suppose that there are other ways for the cops to make trouble in that situation if they don't like the looks of you, your attitude, or whatever.

If they want to drive a car I think Alaskan Inuits need a US DL and Greenland Inuits need a Danish DL ... just like every other place on earth.

As far as I know you must have it on your person while driving. I've never heard of any country that doesn't require that - but I got to admit when UK allows DL's without picture they might as well not require one at all - but I think even that is changing - or perhaps already has?

BANGKOK: -- The public has been urged to call 1197 to report traffic police who set up unauthorised checkpoints.

Pol Maj-Gen Montri Jamroon, deputy chief of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, said yesterday that traffic officers are required to submit checkpoint plans to the Traffic Division and the bureau on a monthly basis.

A traffic checkpoint should be in an open area with a number of officers under supervision of a commissioned officer. Motorists should call 1197 if they are suspicious that a checkpoint is bogus, Pol Maj-Gen Montri said.

Even so, how is the average driver supposed to know whether a particular police checkpoint is authorized?

Joey B is right regards UK law. At least how I remember it. You can drive without a license actually in possession but, if you get pulled you may have to show the license in a given amount of days.

Even so, how is the average driver supposed to know whether a particular police checkpoint is authorized?

That was my question, too.... I guess if it's just one guy?

Even so, how is the average driver supposed to know whether a particular police checkpoint is authorized

That was my question, too.... I guess if it's just one guy?

That may well be what they are getting at with this, but that would imply that it requires an entire posse of boys-in-brown to hand out tickets for not wearing a seatbelt. TIT. :o

Edited by ovenman

In a recent study, police were accused of ``hiding in corners'', waiting for motorists to commit minor offences and then booking them.

That is exactly what they do in the State of Texas, especially when one gets out of the outskirts of town. My Texan friend calls it "predatory policing."

That is exactly what they do in the State of Texas, especially when one gets out of the outskirts of town. My Texan friend calls it "predatory policing."

And that's exactly what happened to me in Bangkok a year ago. I posted about it, but can't be bothered to find it again. Basically two cops at the toll-way entrance in Petchaburi Road - after you come out of Wireless Road (Wittayu), turn right and the toll-way is on your right. He wanted 1,000 baht because I did not move right quick enough to get in the right lane to enter the toll-way. Lying , money-grabbing little thief. :o

Public urged to fight extortion

BANGKOK: -- The public has been urged to call 1197 to report traffic police who set up unauthorised checkpoints.....

What an admission! "Our police are thieves, please report them". :D

If they want to drive a car I think Alaskan Inuits need a US DL and Greenland Inuits need a Danish DL ... just like every other place on earth.

As far as I know you must have it on your person while driving. I've never heard of any country that doesn't require that - but I got to admit when UK allows DL's without picture they might as well not require one at all - but I think even that is changing - or perhaps already has?

They have only been issuing picture card licences in the UK for about a decade now, some users of this forum need a dusting off, what year is it anyway? 1969? :o

They have only been issuing picture card licences in the UK for about a decade now, some users of this forum need a dusting off, what year is it anyway? 1969?

I think that they have been issuing picture licences since about 97. I still have one without the picture and have not intention of changing that unless I have to. You have 7 days to present you licence to any police station once the "producer" has been issued. I never used to drive with mine in the car and was only asked to produce it once in 10 years.

What an admission! "Our police are thieves, please report them". :o

The cynic in me wonders whether the real problem being addressed here is that the higher-ups within the police are not receiving their expected cut from the maverick one-two cop operations. :D