Nsr 150

Powerband

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's running lean because the dyno sheet says it's running a stock carburetor, but with the aftermarket pipe. Read it again. besides this it's common knowledge that when you change from the stock exhaust to a freer flowing type, it's going to run leaner, both 2 and 4 strokes alike. You should already know this, I know I do from burning holes in pistons in my younger stupider days.

Yes it is going to run more lean. I, and you, don't know if they (and I hate to repeat myself), shimmed the needles, installed different jets, etc. to that stock carb. Regardless, how does them possibly running the piped bike lean affect the power output of the stocker? Does running it 'lean' and getting bigger numbers mean that running it at the correct mixture will get you smaller numbers?

The graph says 'STD' carburetor - more than lkely "STD" means standard settings. If they adjusted the carb it should be stated, so no questions arise. Simple as that.

I see you don't have much experience with two strokes. Running too lean or too rich DEFINATELY affects the powerband curve, the instance it catches momentum and kicks in as well as the peak duration.

I can turn the airscrew and manipulate the powerband to my preference, its that simple.

how does them possibly running the piped bike lean affect the power output of the stocker? - not clear, try saying it again.

That graph provided by Tyga is misleading on the basis that they have a cutoff speed of 69mph, thats 111kph.

But for the tyga pipe graph it list a cutoff speed of 80mph/128kph.

It also starts off at a higher MPH....perhaps they did the test in a higher gear? I don't know the NSR's gearing, but it seems plausible to me that the first, totally stock run, was ran in one gear lower than the second post-pipe change run. Would definitely explain the reason that up until 51 mph-ish the stock bike put out more power (more than 3HP at 45 MPH). Unless we're to assume that Tyga is super nefarious and disconnected the power-valve on the first run?

Why would they run the bikes in different gears if they are doing a side by side comparison, that would seem kind of tricky and dishonest.

Less output at low speeds from the tyga pipe, like any freer flowing pipe, you'll lose a bit of backpressure (this you should know also),I will make assumptions and say they don't want their pipe to look like a punk at low speeds.

If i'm making assumptios it's only because tyga leads me into making assumptions, because well they aren't being cear with the info.

Ive taken my bike up to 160kph/99mph if you take speedo correction into consideration we'll say it's around 150kph/93 mph.Ok.

Anyone that has a NSR 150 knows it will exceed the speeds listed by Tyga in stock form, misleading on Tyga's part if you ask me.

You realise how long it would take for a stock, well anything, to get the full dyno numbers if you put it in top gear and did the run? And how that added time would affect the temperature of the bike, giving a lower than actual reading?

None-the-less I agree with you. Give us HP/torque on the y-axis and RPM on the x-axis.

It's presumptuous of you to assume stock bikes run overly rich. Are you a factory trained technician, bent on running lean to shorted the longevity of your bike?

Those last two statements are contradictory. First you ask if I think the bikes are running rich; and then you ask if I think that the bikes are running lean. Perhaps I mis-understand, but please explain that.

You said: 'Shimming the needles, an overly rich stock condition, etc...'

You are implying stock bikes run too rich, so I asked how you know if they are running to rich and if you are a factory trained technician. If you think that stock bikes are running too rich, then you must think they should be leaned out. yes or no

You ride a CBR 150, I'm sure if there wasn't any wind resistance your bike would be able to produce the power on top a bit easier. I bet you love the way it takes 1 extra minute to hit 140kph after it reaches 120kph, thats the wind resistance holding you back and making it harder for your bike to produce the power.

Sigh...the bike still produces the power, you're just concerned about the time it takes to deliver it. Than yes, I love the way wind resistance adds time. I also love the way that since I live just shy of 200 meters and do a lot of riding at that elevation and above the air charge is less dense. And I love the fact that it's so warm in Thailand that the air charge is less dense. and I love that it's so warm in Thailand that the thermal efficiency of the engine is affected. And I love the fact that it's so warm in Thailand the tyres grip better and I lose a bit of power to rolling resistance. And I love.....you see how worrying about wind resistance in knowing the power of the bike is kinda foolish?

You're darn right i'm worried about the time it takes to produce power, other than rider skill, the time it takes to produce power is what wins races. When you watch nascar, the cars are tucked in very cloesly behind one another for a reason. If the cars could supply the power instantaneously in the required amount, they wouldn't need to tuck in.

I thought I read in one of your post that you live around Samut Prakan, which is basicly sea level and a denser atmosphere? It's warm in Thailand but it's humid as hel_l, so the air is actually denser.

Worrying about the wind resistance is foolish in knowing the power of the bike? Tell that to any F1 racer and you will get bitch slapped quite quickly. Are we worried about a unmanned bike on a dyno, or how a bike performs in the real world?

And actually there is less rolling resistance at high speeds than at low speeds, the tires contact patch narrows out do to centrifugal force. Relating to less friction.

If you can't see the correlation between wind resistance and power and the time it takes to reach peak power and how it affects performance, well don't race anyone on the track.

A 1/2 hp motor call pull 1 ton if the gearing is right, a 10hp can also pull 1 ton if the gearing is right, but it will get it done much quicker. Nevertheless they are both capable of moving 1 ton, but the speed at which work is accomplished is the important part.

I know you live for these types of exchanges, to me its just annoying.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi fellow NSRers,

I'm going to be in Thailand (Bangkok and Pattaya) next month. I need to buy some parts for my NSR 150 SP proarm in Vietnam. Last year, I spent the whole day around China Town area to buy the piston, rings, and barrel but they didn't have them in stock and I had to leave that day. I don't want history repeat itself. Please let me know where I can order those parts. Are they getting rarer everyday? I'm thinking about order two sets to save for the future when 2 strokes are outlaws. Thank you in advance.

Hi fellow NSRers,

I'm going to be in Thailand (Bangkok and Pattaya) next month. I need to buy some parts for my NSR 150 SP proarm in Vietnam. Last year, I spent the whole day around China Town area to buy the piston, rings, and barrel but they didn't have them in stock and I had to leave that day. I don't want history repeat itself. Please let me know where I can order those parts. Are they getting rarer everyday? I'm thinking about order two sets to save for the future when 2 strokes are outlaws. Thank you in advance.

Anyone? I just need OEM Honda parts. Anyone knows Honda parts dealers around China Town or near there?

Tyga this Tyga that, Tyga isn't the only place that knows bikes, I've read a couple of things from that site that I don't agree with. Look at the graph above and you will see Tyga testing the pipe with a standard carburetor with NO rejetting. The bike is now running leaner than fark, and from looking at the curve the piston will blow a hole through it in a very short matter of time if ridden according to the above curve.

:)

One mention of Tyga and .... when did they piss in your cornflakes?

• 6 months later...

All,

I've only just read this thread, and I think that I'd like to reply.

Concerning the NSR150SPand it's dyno graph, I though that I'd better straighten out a few things.

First, regarding the kmh reading rather than the rpm reading, this was actually because the ignition pickup sensor broke, so we had to run a speed axis instead of rpm. Not good, but best we could do.

The difference in starting speed is a whopping 1~1.5kmh. Both runs were started from pretty much the same rpm, the throttle whacked wide and then shut off when it wouldn't rev any harder.

The difference in top speed is because of the rev ceiling. The stock pipe just doesn't rev as hard as when the race is pipe fitted. Same gear, higher rpm = higher speed. Sprockets standard for all runs.

The carb was the same for both runs. We used a air/fuel ratio sensor and both gave good clean (safe) readings. Only when we fitted a 32mm NSR250 carb did we need to mess about with jetting. And no......we didn't hole a piston. The bike was very reliable.

Race pipe doesn't necessarily mean lean jetting if factory specs are kept. As it is the stock pipe is very free flowing, it's just that it's tuned to a different (lower) rpm. That's why our pipe loses out to the stock pipe at the low end of the range. To show how happy HRC (Honda Racing Corp.) were with the stock pipe, their 'SP race' spec NSR150SP's in Japan (one make race) used the stock pipe, just shortened in the center (belly) section. I know this as I spent a few days in a big factory in Japan in 1998 and helped to build 15 bikes for HRC.

So what else? Well, the NSR150SP delivers much less than it's claimed power at the rear wheel. This claimed figure would have been measured at the crank (as are most Japanese power figures), but it does give more than the NSR150RR that was available previously. This older model gave a paltry 21hp at the wheel, but we managed to jack that up to 39hp with many hours in the workshop and over 400 dyno runs. AP Honda came to our dyno to test the new SP as it was being prepared for the new season and it too made 39hp, right up until a special CDI was plugged in. This pushed it over the magic 40hp. Not too shabby for a 150cc street bike.

If I missed anything then I'm sorry. Just saw that it was getting a little heated :-)

Oh, and final note to VocalNeal: I don't think we've pissed in too many people's cornflakes, but if we have, then it wasn't intentional!

• 10 months later...