Uk Girl In A Thai Visa Funk

Hi all,

OK, a bit of background first...

I'm British (passport) but have Aussie PR. I'm heading back to Oz in a couple of weeks time, and while I'm out of Thailand I want to apply for a 1 year multiple entry tourist visa (I think this is officially called the Non-Im 'O').

I have two options. One is to apply in Oz. The other would be to send my passport off to the UK and get it from there. My questions then are:

Does anyone have any experience of obtaining this visa in Oz? Can you even GET one of these visas in Oz???

I've read various posts, but all of them are old now, and so am not sure if they still relate. Some say Brisbane is the best, some say Perth, another says Adelaide are issuing, others say they are not... (what a mindfield!!!) On calling the Thai embassy in Sydney today though - it appears that they won't issue it to anyone under the age of 50! :) I haven't called any of the others yet, as they are now closed for the day... So I was just wondering if anyone has any up-to-date advice or info given the latest visa changes.

My other option is to apply for the visa by post, in Hull.

I've heard there is a quick turnaround time, and this is an easy and usually successful process. Can anyone confirm they are still issuing and it is as straight-forward as it appears.

Thanks so much, in advance, for any info. I appreciate you guys taking the time out to answer these questions!

"and do not post your passport to Hull from Australia. Any visa thus obtained would be invalid."

I don't think that is the case.

I'm under the impression that it's only illegal if you are in Thailand and your passport sent somewhere else for a visa.

If you aren't in Thailand, there shouldn't be a problem.

I asked the consulate in Hull where I could get a new non immigrant O visa from - based on visiting friends and family..here was their response....

I very much doubt you can get this visa anywhere other than your country of nationality, you will either have to return to the UK and apply to us for the visa or see attachment for applying outside of Thailand

and here is what was in the attached document....

<H5 style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0pt; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center">APPLYING FOR A VISA WHEN RESIDING OUTSIDE THE EUROPEAN UNION</H5>Persons residing outside the European Union (EU) who wish to apply to this consulate for a visa to visit Thailand for whatever purpose must submit their

application only through a person residing in the UK. That person, residing in the UK and acting on behalf of the applicant, can then submit the application to this consulate by post or in person. When the visa is issued we will return the passport to the person who submitted it on behalf of the applicant subject to the

correct return postage being included. That person is responsible for forwarding the passport to the applicant wherever they may be residing. We do not accept any applications for visas direct from persons residing outside the EU.

Furthermore this Consulate will not issue a visa to anyone whose passport shows

they have not exited Thailand prior to submitting their application.

....so from this short but straight to the point response seems you can indeed apply by post, may try this sometime and spend some time in a cheap country nearby whilst waiting for the passport to return...however postal times and teh risk of loosing my passport do concern me :)

I recieved this reponse at the end of July this year so it is most likely still applicable

I asked the consulate in Hull where I could get a new non immigrant O visa from - based on visiting friends and family..here was their response....

I very much doubt you can get this visa anywhere other than your country of nationality, you will either have to return to the UK and apply to us for the visa or see attachment for applying outside of Thailand

This means mearly that most consulates and all embssies won't issue a non-O visa based on visiting friends and family. Non in Asia will, but some (honorary consulates) in Europe and Australia don't have a problem with issuing one for this reason.

Dr_Pat_Pong I hear you. :)

Thanks Mario2008. Great news that I can get it in Brisbane.

Do you know what sort of documentation or proof you need to be able to show that you are visiting family or friends?

No proof needed. The consulate is very relaxed on the matter.

and here is what was in the attached document....

<H5 style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0pt; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center">APPLYING FOR A VISA WHEN RESIDING OUTSIDE THE EUROPEAN UNION</H5>Persons residing outside the European Union (EU) who wish to apply to this consulate for a visa to visit Thailand for whatever purpose must submit their

application only through a person residing in the UK. That person, residing in the UK and acting on behalf of the applicant, can then submit the application to this consulate by post or in person. When the visa is issued we will return the passport to the person who submitted it on behalf of the applicant subject to the

correct return postage being included. That person is responsible for forwarding the passport to the applicant wherever they may be residing. We do not accept any applications for visas direct from persons residing outside the EU.

Furthermore this Consulate will not issue a visa to anyone whose passport shows

they have not exited Thailand prior to submitting their application.

....so from this short but straight to the point response seems you can indeed apply by post, may try this sometime and spend some time in a cheap country nearby whilst waiting for the passport to return...however postal times and teh risk of loosing my passport do concern me :)

I recieved this reponse at the end of July this year so it is most likely still applicable

Ive done this before, you can leave Thailand.. go to say Cambodia... fedex PP to UK (parents house) get them to apply for you and then fedex PP back to you in Cambodia.

Only problem its probably illegal to be in Cambodia without a PP. I could see a potential for a problem when you leave Cambodia if they notice your Thai visa was issued in the UK when you were in Cambodia.

Also.. how to collect your envelope from the fexex office in cambodia without your passport. Usually you need to show your PP to get the letter... and your PP is inside the letter!

They probably wouldnt be looking at your TV but if they do you might be in trouble (probably small tea money fine).

There is a risk

Edited by CrossBones

This means mearly that most consulates and all embssies won't issue a non-O visa based on visiting friends and family. Non in Asia will, but some (honorary consulates) in Europe and Australia don't have a problem with issuing one for this reason.

And let's not forget he has an Australian PR sorry she Edited by fred2007

Hi all,

OK, a bit of background first...

I'm British (passport) but have Aussie PR. I'm heading back to Oz in a couple of weeks time, and while I'm out of Thailand I want to apply for a 1 year multiple entry tourist visa (I think this is officially called the Non-Im 'O').

I have two options. One is to apply in Oz. The other would be to send my passport off to the UK and get it from there. My questions then are:

Does anyone have any experience of obtaining this visa in Oz? Can you even GET one of these visas in Oz???

I've read various posts, but all of them are old now, and so am not sure if they still relate. Some say Brisbane is the best, some say Perth, another says Adelaide are issuing, others say they are not... (what a mindfield!!!) On calling the Thai embassy in Sydney today though - it appears that they won't issue it to anyone under the age of 50! :) I haven't called any of the others yet, as they are now closed for the day... So I was just wondering if anyone has any up-to-date advice or info given the latest visa changes.

My other option is to apply for the visa by post, in Hull.

I've heard there is a quick turnaround time, and this is an easy and usually successful process. Can anyone confirm they are still issuing and it is as straight-forward as it appears.

Thanks so much, in advance, for any info. I appreciate you guys taking the time out to answer these questions!

Enjoy Thailand, but keep in mind the 2 years in 5 rule that applies to your Oz PR ...

Cross bones is pretty much correct.

I work aboad most of the time and when my visa is up i fed ex it to my brother who posts it up to Hull for me.

Then he Fed ex's it back to me.

I used to send directly to Hull but the rules changed last year.

Hull informed me that if you are a Uk resident you can only post in for visa from within the EU.

and do not post your passport to Hull from Australia. Any visa thus obtained would be invalid.

Why does this continually get repeated ??

This is NOT true.. The UK consulates accept applications from UK citizens from anywhere in the world as long as you are not within Thailand.

Posting a passport internationally for a visa application is a perfectly normal and accepted practice. This is confirmed by the uk embassy, the thai consul, and is commonplace for people in industries like oil workers etc. Theres nothing fishy about this.

Mods really shouldnt keep promoting this miss information.

I used to send directly to Hull but the rules changed last year.

Hull informed me that if you are a Uk resident you can only post in for visa from within the EU.

No Hull have said they wont post it outside of EU like they used to, not they wont accept applications from outside the EU.. They have always maintained they WILL process an application for UK citizens outside the UK.

Alan Taylor told me the reason for this change is they had people post passports got lost in international mail, causing massive problems for people stranded without passports. And because of the stress of this problem they choose not to send them outside of where the UK's special delivery system can control. Its about the secure delivery channel not the region you can apply from.

I have applied from India and from Bali, in the old days they would courier it back to the country I was in, but as stated they have stopped doing that even if I paid for the courier. Thanks to people too cheap to use a courier on their passport !!! Now they ask for a UK return address (not a residential address) or other 'care of' address to absolve them of responsibility in posting them out.

If you have 2 passports you have no issues being in a country without your passport either. Just send whichever one your not stamped into the country with.

• 2 weeks later...