What Got You Riding?

bazmlb

I got my first bike when I was living in Strathewen in Victoria, it was a GPX250r from the wreckers that had been dropped, paid $1200 for it, fixed it all up and got my learners, it was a great bike and then got a new zzr250 after a while whilst still waiting to get my full license where I could ride bikes over 250cc.

I still remember doing 200km a day to work and back on the 250s, thinking one day will get a big bike :)

Then the day I got my license went around to the bike shop and rode a ZX9R and loved it! traded the the zzr in on it and kept that for about 1 year, too many kangaroos and wombats, it was getting too dangerous riding it home at dusk.

Now I ma here I have a craving for a big bike again, still remember how much my wrists ached after getting home on the ZX9R so it has to definitely be something more comfortable, so recently in Chiang Mai rode a Fatboy and loved it, closest thing to the feel and sound of a V8 I have had since leaving Australia. So thats what i hope it will be here.

Well here in Thailand i have had a Honda Cbr150, a Cbr250 and have now just got myself a Suzuki Vx800. She is an old beast that is requiring some fettling (my Thai mechanic has turned out to be not so good). But when she is done i am hoping for many years of riding. She is comfortable, powerful and not so fast that i'm tempted, also i think its a beautiful bike and it's different than newer bikes so has character. So all in all i think i will be happy.

Allan

Edited by thaicbr

Well here in Thailand i have had a Honda Cbr150, a Cbr250 and have now just got myself a Suzuki Vx800. She is an old beast that is requiring some fettling (my Thai mechanic has turned out to be not so good). But when she is done i am hoping for many years of riding. She is comfortable, powerful and not so fast that i'm tempted, also i think its a beautiful bike and it's different than newer bikes so has character. So all in all i think i will be happy.

Allan

Nice one Alan ,the Vx800 a vtwin and "naked bike" with shaft drive....looks good from what i looked up on the internet....any pics?

mbox

I got my first bike when I was living in Strathewen in Victoria, it was a GPX250r from the wreckers that had been dropped, paid $1200 for it, fixed it all up and got my learners, it was a great bike and then got a new zzr250 after a while whilst still waiting to get my full license where I could ride bikes over 250cc.

I still remember doing 200km a day to work and back on the 250s, thinking one day will get a big bike :)

Then the day I got my license went around to the bike shop and rode a ZX9R and loved it! traded the the zzr in on it and kept that for about 1 year, too many kangaroos and wombats, it was getting too dangerous riding it home at dusk.

Now I ma here I have a craving for a big bike again, still remember how much my wrists ached after getting home on the ZX9R so it has to definitely be something more comfortable, so recently in Chiang Mai rode a Fatboy and loved it, closest thing to the feel and sound of a V8 I have had since leaving Australia. So thats what i hope it will be here.

Nice thread...i had a few bikes here so here is what i remember over the recent years:

Virago 400 cc, Suzuki Savage 400 cc, Kawasaki Vulcan 400 en , Yamaha Xj 750 , Yamaha XS 750 ( triple) , Honda Bros Product one 650 cc, Honda Shadow 400 cc, Honda Vfr 750 K , Honda Vfr 750 FJ, Yamaha Vmax 1200 cc , yes there was also a Honda Phantom 200 cc for 2 month...and now it's the Tiger Boxer 250 RS...whats next??? a bike to play in the dirt .....and some nice classic bike is also what i wish for...got my wife already tuned into the classic bike...:-)

which one was the nicest of them all? probably the best vrooom came from the vmax...but the triple would have been great too if the whole wiring wasn't so messed up and a few other things really...vfr 750 fj was a good powerful bike that offered also comfort...actually the xj750 did a great job too but spares and a shortcut of some "mechanic" made me loose my trust in safety of it...the bros was great in town and did a good acceleration too , comfort wasn't my thing. But with the kerker exhaust i had the noisiest bike in the hood so the "honda wave" tuners in the village where all jealous of my "shooting star" Bros...

i think i have listed most of it...if i remember more- i will add it...

mbox

....Now I ma here I have a craving for a big bike again, still remember how much my wrists ached after getting home on the ZX9R so it has to definitely be something more comfortable, so recently in Chiang Mai rode a Fatboy and loved it, closest thing to the feel and sound of a V8 I have had since leaving Australia. So thats what i hope it will be here.

I got started on a Motobecane moped. Picture below. Basically got it because if I didn't have that I would either be riding my bicycle or waiting for a ride. In my state you could get liscensed at 14; was a chick magnet to boot.:)

Currently have both a CBR 150R and a Ninja 250 (suppose that I haven't had a 'real' motorcycle yet). If I could justify the price I'd get a nice CBR 1000 with ABS.

**edit**

Obviously not MY Motobecane...

Motobecane_Moby.jpg

Edited by dave_boo

Nice thread...i had a few bikes here so here is what i remember over the recent years:

Virago 400 cc, Suzuki Savage 400 cc, Kawasaki Vulcan 400 en , Yamaha Xj 750 , Yamaha XS 750 ( triple) , Honda Bros Product one 650 cc, Honda Shadow 400 cc, Honda Vfr 750 K , Honda Vfr 750 FJ, Yamaha Vmax 1200 cc , yes there was also a Honda Phantom 200 cc for 2 month...and now it's the Tiger Boxer 250 RS...whats next??? a bike to play in the dirt .....and some nice classic bike is also what i wish for...got my wife already tuned into the classic bike...:-)

which one was the nicest of them all? probably the best vrooom came from the vmax...but the triple would have been great too if the whole wiring wasn't so messed up and a few other things really...vfr 750 fj was a good powerful bike that offered also comfort...actually the xj750 did a great job too but spares and a shortcut of some "mechanic" made me loose my trust in safety of it...the bros was great in town and did a good acceleration too , comfort wasn't my thing. But with the kerker exhaust i had the noisiest bike in the hood so the "honda wave" tuners in the village where all jealous of my "shooting star" Bros...

mbox

Completely forgot...my first bike....a KTM Pony also often called "Bauern Vespa"( farmers Vespa) i had it in the ugliest green and i rode it even in the winter on snowcovered roads in austria. Countless "sliders" with the small wheels on a 90 kg heavy 50cc 2 stroker...nice memories i surely have even this was not the bike where you attract pretty or ugly girls...hel_l even the neighbors dog ran away when i came with that Pony :D ,

post-39208-1253291433_thumb.jpg

mbox

Completely forgot...my first bike....a KTM Pony also often called "Bauern Vespa"( farmers Vespa) i had it in the ugliest green and i rode it even in the winter on snowcovered roads in austria. Countless "sliders" with the small wheels on a 90 kg heavy 50cc 2 stroker...nice memories i surely have even this was not the bike where you attract pretty or ugly girls...hel_l even the neighbors dog ran away when i came with that Pony :) ,

post-39208-1253291433_thumb.jpg

mbox

Now that does look cool, but a wierd looking design of a bike trying to be rounded and square at the same time.

not counting the Cushman scooter

Had a new Corvair Spyder turbo ragtop but missed the rush of my prior Austin-Healey-Corvette V8. Young buck with extra cash in bank, 1964. Buddy sold me the fastest bike in town, a Triumph twin, modified drag bike, 700 cc. I bought a Triumph 250 in 1970. My first modern bike, $999 Suzuki GN400: kick start, 6 volt, 1981. Yamaha 550 Vision, Yamaha Seca 400, Suzuki GS850G, etc.

First bike was a 50cc Puch Montana in blue color ( not bike in pic ), at 15 years old ( 1996 ).. I then moved on to 125cc when i got my licence for small bikes and bought a Yamaha DT125. Then when i took my big bike licence i got myself a Honda CBR 600 ( very close looking to this one ). Had that for a few years and then i got myself a Yamaha R6 (same color and year but not my bike ). I never owned a 600cc+ bike, i never had the need for it ( sweden's weather isnt ideal for motorbike riding.. about 3-4 months riding / year ).

Now i own a CBR150 which is good enough for playing around with.. at least for now. :)

/peace

my 1st one was A honda 50 at 15,at 16 bought A honda 90,at 20 went to 2 honda cb350's ans a CL350.At 23 I bought A kawasaki 2 stroke 750.zero to 60 in 3 seconds.It was A screamer.Then 27,my first harley.A panhead 1950 chopper.And at 31,i bought A sportster.And then at 53,i purchased my first new one A 05 harley softail springer.It's A nice bike.

post-51079-1253315536.jpg

What got me riding was a kind of offering from Dad after he had just left my Mum , my very young brothers and myself to fend for oursleves.

Little did he know that he was presenting me with a Suzuki GT 50.......resticted to something like 3bhp.

WHAT A GOD AWFUL MACHINE.Thanks Dad!

I was drooling over GT 750s after. Maybe he saved my life!!! :)

I learnt to ride it on the A57 ,, not very safe but I,m still here.

I think this is why I have a bad view of small and slow bikes...I really wanted to move to a 350 lc in 1983 but did not have the money.

Last bike was a V Max.

Small bike again.

No thanks ,,,,and blame my Dad not me

post-8817-1253316998.jpg

Just to add to take post. To give you an example of my mental health and <deleted> motorbike at that time.

I went into a cinema in Sheffield England at the time that Mad Max 2 was released.

I bought an egg salad and a Mars bar and went in there at 11 in the morning, watched Mad Max 1 twice and Mad Max 2 three times.

Came out at something like 11 at night and had to ride that abortion of a bike 15 miles home up a fast road.

Never ,,,ever,,,ever again will I suffer that ride home again..

About to move around the world again for work , so no bike now.

I can guarantee you it will not be a small one when I get one again.

SuperDuke looks on the cards.

Edited by soihok

A Suzuki X7.

Microns on it, more to do with looks and a bit faster but with add on holed pistons.

I have two sets of barrels and heads in the UK if anyone wants them.

100 mph in 1978 from a 250 road bike.

Handled like a Tesco shopping trolley.

post-8817-1253319318.jpg

Edited by soihok

First bike was a Honda 50 cc .I was 17 years old and a stdent .

Second bike was a Yahaha 100cc twin ,two stroke .

Third bike a BMW R750 /5

Forth a lttle Honda CD 185 Bentley

Fifth , a BMW R650

Sixth , a BMW R800 RT

Then in Thailand , got a Honda Wave 125 cc ,and a Honda Phantom which is my current ride .

First bike I ever rode.. A honda cub c70 that was smashed up and made into a bush basher field bike.. Probably 6 or 7 years old.. We lived in a really rural area with miles in each direction I could go of fields.. Perfect for kid.

Then for the next 2 or 3 years.. Every birthday.. Every christmas.. I would be asked what I wanted and ALL i replied was a motorbike.. Every time, single minded focus.. And I didnt ever get one.. Then one year maybe 10 or 11 my old man said to me. Listen Son, I am never gonna buy you a bike, if I give youa bike and you get hurt, your mother will kill me.. Its just not happening.. Stop asking ! I remember his speach and told him I would get one myself then.

Got a little job and within a month or so found a SS 50 (like FS1E) that had been crashed and was in a local barn.. The kiddie who crashed it lost some of his little finger, and it was yellow covered in blood with flat front tyre and not starting.. I pushed it home and as I pushed it into the house my mother saw it out the kitchen window, blood and all, and the look on her face is still with me.. I think I paid 15 quid for it !!

Took a hammer to the lights.. Painted it flat black.. Got it running.. And rode it to bits for years.. Taught all the local kids to ride. Every night after school until dark.. Every weekend.. I cant think of a single object thats given me so much pleasure. Course I broke my foot, and arm, couple of scars I still have.. but thats beside the point :)

As I grew up I had plenty of others.. An old Ossa 250 being a great field bike (heavy tho) for years.. Through to proper crossers.. Then a 50 on road (3 pins in right knee) but at 17 went to cars for a while..

2314003262_219429a59c.jpg

About 14 or so on the Ossa.. How cool did I think I was ??

Road bikes from age 17 onwards - KH125 (crashed it), VT500 (crashed it), GS550, SB200 (crashed it), GPZ600 (crashed it), , GS1000, VW trike, XTZ750 (crashed it), 883 sportster (crashed it), GSX1100 trike, ZRX1200R, 1200 sportster and currently a night train which I really hope a never crash! :)

mbox

Here the pictures- how some of the my bikes actually looked...with exception of the suzuki savage.

yamaha virago 400cc

post-39208-1253338211_thumb.jpg

Suzuki savage 400cc

post-39208-1253338242_thumb.jpg

Kawasaki Vulcan 400cc EN

post-39208-1253338308_thumb.jpg

Yamaha XJ 750cc

post-39208-1253338373_thumb.jpg

Yamaha XS 750cc ( triple)

post-39208-1253338408_thumb.jpg

Honda Bros Product One 650cc

post-39208-1253338522_thumb.jpg

Honda shadow 400 cc

post-39208-1253338561_thumb.jpg

Honda VFR 750 K

post-39208-1253338685_thumb.jpg

Yamaha Vmax 1200

post-39208-1253338797_thumb.jpg

mbox

Edited by mbox

What got me riding? Simply, the traffic in Bangkok. I moved here from the states where I thought we had bad traffic LOL (Now I just laugh) thinking back. Never owned a bike until I moved here. Presentley riding a Honda Click I 110cc; Next on my list is either the Honda CBR150 or Kawasaki Ninja 250, just debating on whether I want to sit in traffic Ninja, or fly thru it CBR ( Like my Click).........