Choosing A Pick Up

bomberbod

Would like opinions on the best option to go for out of the following;

Isuzu D-Max

Nissan Navara

Toyota Vigo

Looking at double cab models and can't make my mind up.

Will be making quite a few long trips so comfort and reliability high on wish list

Cheers !

Edited by bomberbod

I have "heard" good things about the DMax

We have owned a Vigo, and I did not like it. Too big, breaks sucked, and slow. Handles like hud.... but then again I owned a BMW M3 prior to the Vigo, so anything is pretty much junk from that point on.

I have a D-Max Highlander, 2.5L standard cab model and like it. It's done 60,000 km with no problems at all. It's comfortable in the front on long trips, the little back bench seat is a different story though! It drives OK I guess, I had a Lotus Elise before this so I can't really comment on speed and handling as anything is a piece of junk after that! With a combination of trips around Bangkok and long trips up North we get an average of 12.9km per litre of diesel.

I'm an Isuzu fan, my brother-in-law has had a DMax for years without an ounce of a problem. His was a little bit gutless though. I thnk nowadays most of the intercooled turbo 3 liter Isuzu's have plenty of punch. I own a 2008 Mu-7 Activo myself (I know its not a pickup) and am extremely happy with it. Also I've had nothing but excellant service from Isuzu in Thailand.

i have an '06 Colorado 4-door that is absolutely brilliant. now when you say, oh, Chevy sucks, it's actually just the Isuzu D-Max. same, same. so i guess my point is, if you like the Dmax, take the Colorado for a test drive, it's the same truck, same power train options, etc. then you can see which truck you can get a better deal on.

Isuzu D-Max

Nissan Navara

Toyota Vigo

Will be making quite a few long trips so comfort and reliability high on wish list

Cheers !

i have had a D-Max Cab 4 and still refer to it as 'agricultural'

i have had a 4 door Vigo, which was much better

i now have a Fortuner, which is even better

all have been ultra reliable

i like the look of the Navarra Calibre but have not driven one

Isuzu D-Max - 2.5 is very good on fuel, excellent resale value, but the Colorado is almost the same car, much cheaper but poor resale value. New versions have dual air bags.

Nissan Navara - Did very poorly in safety tests, I've heard it's fast but also thirsty, poor resale.

Toyota Vigo - Handles like a boat, the high version did extremely poorly in safety tests. Seems to have less power than the D-Max 2.5, but more thirsty. Probably a strong car and good for farmers. Excellent resale value.

Unless you need a 4x4 avoid the raised pick ups, they may look good but the high COG makes them dangerous.

I'd also consider the Triton, it has come up best in many of the reviews, particularly on saftey and handles most like a car. Thais will tell you they are not strong enough to carry a decent load. This is probably BS and doesn't matter anyway unless your a farmer.

Cheers !

Isuzu D-Max

Nissan Navara

Toyota Vigo

Cheers !

Vigo has the best rearseat and rearseat entry. Smoothest engine and auto. 2009 4x4 G is the only one with stabilitycontrol and cruisecontrol. 2009 best brakes in the industry. 40% of LOS market

Nissan top model has 5 speed auto, Xenon/HID lights and lower price. 10% of LOS market.

DMax has 40% of LOS market, but is getting old by now. Body collapses in crash tests at 55 kmh and the 3 sensor ABS brakes is outdated

D Max has the best fuel consumption. Vigo has crap passenger safety as it only has twin airbags on the top model. D max handles a lot better than Vigo but remember its a pickup not a sports car. the VGS turbo has pleanty of punch. The looks of course are in the eyes of the beholder. I think the Vigo looks like a hippo and the D Max is a tonka toy. The new D max should be out next year.

Today in Thailand Isuzu launched the "super platinum" version of the Hi-Lander. Big parties at provincial showrooms. I did get an invite from next door neighbour who has a 4 door D Max, but couldn't be arsed to drive 50km round trip. Who know's what improvements this time, perhaps they have stuck another camera on the tailgate??.

As for k-beach bum who appears to be obsessed by all things Toyota, I went to view the new 2.5L VN Turbo 4 door Pre-Runner, 755k Baht, just ABS, no cab airbags/EBD.

It was high on my shopping list for a new 4 door pickup, but the Nissan Calibre 4 door looks much better value at 715k Baht.

Vigo .... 2009 4x4 G is the only one with stabilitycontrol and cruisecontrol.

Does this mean the other raised models don't have the stability control? This is something Toyota was forced to add after the Vigo/Hilux failed the moose test and was considered 'mortally dangerous'.

You can see the VDO here and if you search there's a long thread on the subject.

Today in Thailand Isuzu launched the "super platinum" version of the Hi-Lander. Big parties at provincial showrooms. I did get an invite from next door neighbour who has a 4 door D Max, but couldn't be arsed to drive 50km round trip. Who know's what improvements this time, perhaps they have stuck another camera on the tailgate??.

As for k-beach bum who appears to be obsessed by all things Toyota, I went to view the new 2.5L VN Turbo 4 door Pre-Runner, 755k Baht, just ABS, no cab airbags/EBD.

It was high on my shopping list for a new 4 door pickup, but the Nissan Calibre 4 door looks much better value at 715k Baht.

k-beach bums passanger car is a 2008 Accord, cause I find it better than the Camry.

Interesting to be described as obsessed by Honda by the Toyota fans, and obsessed by Toyota by the Izu fans. I m not a fan of any japs car, I am obsessed with high end Euro cars, but they are unfortunately too pricey here. :)

As I said in my previous post, Nissan is more value for money at the time of purchase.

Does this mean the other raised models don't have the stability control? This is something Toyota was forced to add after the Vigo/Hilux failed the moose test and was considered 'mortally dangerous'.

You can see the VDO here and if you search there's a long thread on the subject.

Toyota Vigo was the only truck on 16" wheels in the moose test. Those wheels keep traction longer than the others 15", but when traction is lost they tend to flip.

Toyota Vigo 4x4 G is the only truck in LOS with tractioncontrol/stabilitycontrol/ESP/VSC, thus the one with best traction.

Friend [salesman] bought the Nissan Navara, the idea was 6sp would be better with high km use....

One year on he hates it, but the value is not good so cannot sell, so fears he will have to keep it for the full 48 months payments..

He says the main reason he wants to change, it is just to expensive to run..... normal use he cannot get more than 8km per 1lt of diesel...

He says if he drives slow and not over 90km then it is OK and around 12km per lt + Service cost are VERY high..

The D-Max is the cheapest on Service cost of any pickup... + 12+km per 1lt mixed driving and at 120km....... Maybe a good reason why most salesmen Private or Company vehicles are Isuzu

If your looking for a pickup for normal use then it is up to you what you feel is most comfortable for your own use..

The D-Max is the cheapest on Service cost of any pickup... + 12+km per 1lt mixed driving and at 120km....... Maybe a good reason why most salesmen Private or Company vehicles are Isuzu

A lot of them are also Vigo, so are the rent-a-cars, my guess is it's due to ease of resale.

Toyota Vigo was the only truck on 16" wheels in the moose test. Those wheels keep traction longer than the others 15", but when traction is lost they tend to flip.

Toyota Vigo 4x4 G is the only truck in LOS with tractioncontrol/stabilitycontrol/ESP/VSC, thus the one with best traction.

Toyota came up with all sorts of excuses, including the tires, but the magazine tried 15" and the results were the same.

To say the Vigo 4x4 has the best traction just because of the stability control is an assumption, unless you can back it up with test results.

My guess is a regular, low riding pick up will be much safer than a Vigo 4x4 with stability control.

Toyota has installed vehicle stability control a few months after that test, most likely in response. So far it's the only pickup with this feature in Thailand. Triton in that test had it, but it's still not offered here.

D-Max is still built on the decades old platform, every few months they come up with "gold", "platinum", and now "super platinum" nonsense, but it's still the same old truck.

It's still good, no doubt about that, and they upgraded the engines, but everything else are just cosmetics.

Hi,

I do not know what you want with it. What are your priorities? One thing is for sure, they all cheap. If you wanna spend a million, you also should concider the cost of the finance. If you do not care about that part, I give you some tips:

- every dealer has it own promotions, it could be up till 50.000 bath what you pay more or less ( different province )

- the chevrolet colorado drives best of all

- the toyota has cheap spare parts, but high interest in finance

- the bt50 of mazda is also worth looking at ( interior is great )

- I like the Navara, great car for me ( I like the looks )

- Mitubishi Triton.....well sure look at that one

- Isuzu is cheap and drive like a tank

BUT..... IF you have the money to spare.... Mitsubishi Pajero sport.... 3.2 liter commonrail turbo diesel, 4x4 , but a GREAT automatic gearbox, sells at only 1.24 million. :)

Isuzu D-Max

Nissan Navara

Toyota Vigo

Cheers !

I do not agree with what you wrote. It is true that Thai people love Toyota and Isuzu, so therefor it is easier to sell. The economics are still down, even a stupid Fino is difficult to sell! Even at the Honda they did not dare to give me an estimate retail price because of the economics.

Friend [salesman] bought the Nissan Navara, the idea was 6sp would be better with high km use....

One year on he hates it, but the value is not good so cannot sell, so fears he will have to keep it for the full 48 months payments..

He says the main reason he wants to change, it is just to expensive to run..... normal use he cannot get more than 8km per 1lt of diesel...

He says if he drives slow and not over 90km then it is OK and around 12km per lt + Service cost are VERY high..

If your looking for a pickup for normal use then it is up to you what you feel is most comfortable for your own use..

Isuzu D-Max

Nissan Navara

Toyota Vigo

Cheers !

We've had our Navara LE(4-door) now for over two years-fantastic car,driven the length and width of the country several times,never a problem .

Serviced every 10k-never cost more than 1500baht.

CHEVROLET COLORADO are doing 25% deposit and 1% interest over 48 months

CHEVROLET 'FEST' Promotions

They have to do something to keep 1 % of the market. The 49k baht extra you pay to financecompany in 4 years at 2,75% interest is peanuts compared to Izu and Toyotas higher resale value 4 years ahead.

A minor point here, but some discrepancy about Nissan Navara servicing.

For the first 3 years you do not pay any labour charges, just the cost of oil's/fluids.

10,000km service intervals between 950 -1200 Baht. (2007+)

The big service is every 40,00km and that was 3,800 Baht.

Do they ever service anything?, its just replacing oils these days. A service has never taken longer than 30 minutes at my dealership.

I bought one of the first Navara's, some had a batch of faulty oil coolers fitted. Nissan were quick off the mark notifying owners and mine was changed under warranty.

Nissan Navs are heavy trucks, over 160kg's difference between equivalent Isuzu's and Vigo's.

Drive sensibly and good fuel consumption off my 4x2 King Cab, No complaints about my monthly fuel bills.