Antivirus Recomendation

steveb

I'm experimenting with the (don't scoff) Microsoft Security Essentials (basically, M$ new free antivirus). But I usually use Avira.

Don't use AVG...its bad.

What a stupid comment.

AVG is not bad , its great and I never had any problems with the free version . It updates every day running in the background and it doesnt slow down your computer unlike Norton .

Of course they want you to buy a license but I always choose the free version .

Edited by balo

I use Zonelabs Extreme Security package and have used their products for several years. Their ratings fluctuate from year to year but seem to be pretty good overall. Installation is easy, updates run in the background and the package is easily configurable for most users.

This package contains:

Anti-virus

Anti-spyware

Parental Controls

Browser Security

Email Protection

Download protection

Firewall

A firewall is as important if not more than anti-virus for your PC. The internet is full of people trying to get into your PC. :) MS included firewall is ok but 3rd party software is much better.

Yeah, you can use the free ones, good luck with them. They always work until they don't, understand?

I use Zonelabs Extreme Security package and have used their products for several years. Their ratings fluctuate from year to year but seem to be pretty good overall. Installation is easy, updates run in the background and the package is easily configurable for most users.

This package contains:

Anti-virus

Anti-spyware

Parental Controls

Browser Security

Email Protection

Download protection

Firewall

A firewall is as important if not more than anti-virus for your PC. The internet is full of people trying to get into your PC. :) MS included firewall is ok but 3rd party software is much better.

Yeah, you can use the free ones, good luck with them. They always work until they don't, understand?

I agree on the firewall comment which is why I also use Zonelabs' firewall, although I go for the free version. For AntiVirus, I use Nod32 (THB 800 from Se-Ed) and am extremely happy with it. I think the combination of Nod32 and Zonelab can't be beat.

AVG is the ONLY anti-virus program that allowed my computer to become infected. I am now using Norton Internet Security 2010 with Windows 7 Pro and it works great. Whoever thinks Norton is bloated and/or slows down your computer has never used the 2009 or 2010 versions.

What a stupid comment.

AVG is not bad , its great and I never had any problems with the free version . It updates every day running in the background and it doesnt slow down your computer unlike Norton .

I can't help it if you're rude and ignorant. Here's a test for you: Go install Avira on a bunch of AVG 'protected' computers (especially laptops that have been going to meetings) and run a scan. Or look at any comparative review. And yes Norton sucks, they went the bloatware route.

What a stupid comment.

I can't help it if you're rude and ignorant. Here's a test for you: Go install Avira on a bunch of AVG 'protected' computers (especially laptops that have been going to meetings) and run a scan. Or look at any comparative review. And yes Norton sucks, they went the bloatware route.

Please provide links to any decent comparative review you mention, I'm interested to see what expert opinion has to say, thanks.

AVG , its the best free Antivirus and Antispyware program on the market.

I had it for 5 years now and the new version 9 is the best so far.

You can download it from here:

free.avg.com

Go to disagree friend , i had AVG and had nothing but trouble, Also i had Norton , That just hogs all the memory for me you cannot beat Mcafee, Just my preference and opinion.

Hi

You get what you pay for...

Last year Symantec pulled out all the stops to reduce Norton Internet Security's impact on system performance. This year's version of the suite, Norton Internet Security 2010 ($69.99 direct for 3 licenses), focuses both on improving the user's experience and raising overall protection. As we saw with our early look at the beta of Norton Internet Security 2010, the release version succeeds at both aims without sacrificing performance, securing its position as our Editors' Choice.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2349866,00.asp

without viruses there would be no need for Anti virus software.

I wonder why its a booming industry.

Tried AVG and the other free stuff software but they let to many viruses through especially via Email.

Personally use Trend Micro 2007 which i downloaded for free and update manually once a month or so.

Works a treat!! :)

What a stupid comment.

Theres a lot of reviews out there and AVG gets top marks in it.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/software/19...ree-edition-8-0

I'm not saying that Avira is not good enough.

I'm just saying that I never had any problems with my computer running AVG for 5 years. And a lot of people agree with me.

None are perfect and testing varies from year to year. In my limited experience AVG has not detected well - Avira has detected too well (false alarms). Had better luck with Nod32 and Kapersky (which I am running now). But they are pay for (although Kapersky is very inexpensive when bought in Thailand). But a lot is who is running computer - I almost never encounter a virus - teenage Thai grandchildren have daily (although more often trojans than virus) - even had keylogger in game packed with cerial last week.

My main requirements for my computer security is a program that works out of the box and doesn't bother me with all sorts of notices or settings. I hate pop ups and warnings. If the program finds a problem I want it to quietly FIX it. Needed or not I want a firewall that also doesn't bother me. Why should I have to answer questions that the program should already know the answer?

Years ago I gave up on Norton/Symantec because it DID bog down my computer. It was several years before I tried it again. I got a 60 day free trial after I read a report that Norton had been re-built from the ground up. It is fast, light and I don't know it is there. That's exactly what I want from a security program. I also want a package of protection rather than just anti-virus. Norton Internet Security covers all the bases.

After all the headaches from an infected Computer, I vowed to NEVER use free programs again. AVG let me down BIG time. I did have problems after I installed Win 7. I complained to Norton and they upgraded me to Internet Security 2010 and extended my subscription for a month at no charger. The 2010 version runs flawlessly on my Win 7 Pro OS.

I did try Kaspersky and gave up after it asked me a lot of questions that I had no idea what they were talking about. I'm not a techie. I'm in the keep it simple camp. I was very happy with Bitdefender but when they decided to be all things to all people I decided to move on. I had a very difficult time ridding my computer of all the embedded Bitdefender settings.

I'll stay with Norton as long as they keep it simple and I have no problems.

On the basis of what i read on this thread, i've just downloaded the Avira free Anti-virus program. I still have AVG installed. Will running these together create conflicts/issues? Or will it just slow the system down? Is it best to disable/unistall AVG?

I'd totally get rid of AVG. Of course I'm biased because of the problems it caused me. I also dumped all the anti-spyware and firewalls in favor of a complete security package. I still use Advanced System Care Professional but it never finds anything.

post-17093-1258861427_thumb.jpg

On the basis of what i read on this thread, i've just downloaded the Avira free Anti-virus program. I still have AVG installed. Will running these together create conflicts/issues? Or will it just slow the system down? Is it best to disable/unistall AVG?

Never run to antivirii at the same time.

OK. Because...?

Just disable or unistall?

OK. Because...?

Chose your favorite and uninstall the other one.

If you like to screw up your windows run them both at the same time...

OK. Because...?

Just a quick search in Google. Try.

"Most people know they should only have one but do they know why?

Having more than one AV would catch more viruses – right?

No, WRONG! Antivirus programs clash with each other, a bit like two guys fighting over one chick.

AV programs work at a low level whereas other programs run at high level. It is ok to have multiple instances of, lets say, web browsers as they just connect to the net then close down completely when you are finished surfing and they operate on the higher level.

So what actually happens is when you have two programs working at low level is they trip over each other causing program crashes and system lockups.

Most antivirus programs operate in two modes:

Scan Mode: the program examines the memory and files on your hard disk for traces of malware. This involves examining the contents each file for traces that ‘look like’ viruses.

Monitor Mode: usually called or referred to as ‘real time monitoring’, the program runs constantly scanning files as they are downloaded to your machine, notifying you if the file you just received contains something that appears to be a virus.

It’s ok to scan with a different antivirus program than your normal resident scanner as all that happens is the program will scan, report it findings then it will close down. Online scanners are good for second opinions. But if you install a second AV program it will (or should) inform you that another antivirus program has been detected and to uninstall it, if you choose to ignore this warning it will then install its own ‘real time monitors’ and that is when the problems will start – lockups, poor performance and crashes."

(taken from pcsupport forums-Why should you never install two Antivirus programs? )

It is well known that a single PC have to have only ONE antivirus and ONE software Firewall. Hardware and software Firewalls can work together.

Some people favor a combination of Firewall + Antivirus. I think it is better to have an Antivirus made by a company specializing in virus prevention and detection, and a Firewall designed and maintained by company specializing in intrusions.

Currently I'm running NOD32 Antivirus (which I'm happy with) and Comodo Firewall on my Windows XP Pro SP3. I also run ActiveArmor which is regarded as harware Firewall.

Recently Comodo included an Antivirus in its Firewall. So, I'm looking for a replacement (preferably FREE).

Any comments on Firewalls for Win XP ?

What is your experience with:

1. PC Tools Firewall Plus

2. Sunbelt Personal Firewall

3. Online Armor Free

or any other recommendations.

Edited by Condo_bk

I got to agree with Jsixpack on avast I have been using since 2004 & nothing has gotten through & I test it on copies with trojans & viruses from time to time & it has caught all the mayhem every time. I think it is more of your preference what you feel comfortable with. I like just anti virus program to only be anti virus. And it doesn't slow my computer down to a crawl. Free just register every 14 months & they let you know on month 13 to e-mail for a free new key. I had Norton before when it wasn't all bundled with many programs & it was alright. But why pay when you don't need to. The only super dog with fleas I see is Maccafee.