Bringing In Vitamins As A Tourist

dancep

I plan to travel around Asia this winter and if luggage room permits I would bring various bottles of supplements as I tend to take a lot of these... However I was wondering whether I might get into trouble at immigration as these bottles of pills could be mistaken for something illegal. And in fairness to them they couldn't be sure without testing. They are not prescription so I dont have that paperwork, although I could bring receipts.

I have traveled through before with a few bottles and no problem, but was hoping to bring more as this is a longer trip. Any ideas or cautions? I assumed these products would be available in larger cities but might be more pricey and I wouldnt know what brands to trust.

thanks

I used to have similar concerns during my travels. You will probably be OK but you minimize the chance of any problem by keeping all the vitamins in their original bottles (yes this will take up space) and carrying the receipt of purchase for all the vitamins. I wouldn't go this far but if you have a good relationship with a doctor you might write up some text for them to put on their letterhead stating that you are under medical care and these supplements are medically sanctioned. Best of luck.

You will have no problem at all, assuming you're not a backpacker (in which case all bets are off). I've traveled with large quantities of supplements - I mean several large bottles - as well as prescription medication of all types and haven't had any hassles anywhere in Asia.

I plan to travel around Asia this winter and if luggage room permits I would bring various bottles of supplements as I tend to take a lot of these... However I was wondering whether I might get into trouble at immigration as these bottles of pills could be mistaken for something illegal. And in fairness to them they couldn't be sure without testing. They are not prescription so I dont have that paperwork, although I could bring receipts.

I have traveled through before with a few bottles and no problem, but was hoping to bring more as this is a longer trip. Any ideas or cautions? I assumed these products would be available in larger cities but might be more pricey and I wouldnt know what brands to trust.

thanks

you will be ok i take antibotics vitamins ect never a problem in 10 years go thai 3 or 4 times a year have a good trip

Brought a huge number of vit.c, calcium, and vit.e for the girl friends mom a few years ago walked right thru. How many times have you ever been stopped by customs, over the course of 10 or 12 trips I have never been stopped or questioned.

I just wanted to caution you about vitamins.I found that the thai family I married(happily)into experienced an outbreak of acne after injesting the vitamins I gave to supplement their diet.I asked them to only take half a vitamin and this seemed to cure them of their outbreak.

Why bring vitamins into Thailand.

They are cheaper here.

"They are cheaper here" ??? ..... where, i'd love to know. Been all over, Tesco's, Big C, Boots, even my own Thai GP, but all were far more expensive than Holland & Barrett back in England and triple what i can get them off e-bay.