Atm Crash..

chanchao

i always thought ATMs ran on embeded software....

the link shows it runing windoze NT...lots of things could go wrong...

even the user inputs r testable and limited, there r loads of things that could mess up...hardware problems....loose cables....network error could confuse the system....

these days they have some ATM machines show video advertisements n stuff...loads to go wrong now....

i always wondered how secure is their networks??? some atm boxes (eg the one outside macdonalands at hatyai the back side inside mcdonalds) have their modem and cables in the open for anyone to mess around with...

maybe this is LOS and security isint a concern.,..

Ever wondered what software ATM's run on?  As I work in the software industry myself, it's kind of refreshing to see that even machines with severely limited and testable user input such as ATMs can and do crash... :-)

[L=http://sukstalker.fotopages.com/?entry=387727]http://sukstalker.fotopages.com/?entry=387727[/L]

Cheers,

Chanchao

You work in the software industry and you can't even post a TV web link?

:o

Try this link instead.

:D

> You work in the software industry and you can't even post a TV web link?

Ah.. that's what happens when you copy the same posting on a different forum with different ways to inlcude links.. :-)

(Of course what I should do is just edit my post and then say 'huh?!' works fine for me! :o)

Cheers,

Chanchao

I'd be more worried about the transactional database requests going on behind the scenes rather than what opperating system the ATM is running on...

Having spent a great deal of time working for Barclays i have a little insight into how its done :o

I couldn't make out who manufactured the ATM. I think that those made or OEM'd by IBM still use OS/2.....

i could normally find the IBM logo on the older machines....

normally on the newer more graphical machines theres no IBM logo...

i guess the older ones were more stable n reliable...

not much diference in user interface or anything.

does the pretymuch same stuff...

dunno why they wanna put M$ stuff on ATMs?

>> dust, heat, moisture???

Unlikely.. the error shown was an application error, meanign that the ATM-program crashed, not the computer itself or the OS. Dust, heat or moisture issues would lead to a total lock-up or sponteneous reset.

> Windoze

Again I think it's the application itself.. Then again if Windows manages to leak memory somewhere to the point that not enough memory is available for the ATM app then Windows would also be to blame yes.

Cheers,

Chanchao

>> dust, heat, moisture???

Unlikely.. the error shown was an application error, meanign that the ATM-program crashed, not the computer itself or the OS.  Dust, heat or moisture issues would lead to a total lock-up or sponteneous reset.

pls allow me to disagree.

example : some connection on the network controller gets rusted, the the "application" gets a hard time tryin to understand the network data...and eventually crashes???

memory errors due to loose connection caused by envoirnmental factors could cause application errors.

the fact that srisatch mentioned BTS station made me come up with that...

in college we had a microprocessor lab where we coded on 8085 processor kits...

if u apply some force on the main processor(some connections gettin loose), the display(6 digit 7 segment display) would show strange characters randomly(application error??)..and in the whole process our programs were still intact in the memory...which is deleted if the device resets.

no relation with those antique systems and the hitech systems of today but i still say dust moisture and heat cant be ruled out as driving forces behind aplication error...