Traffic Problems In Chiang Mai

Sparkles

With the increase in population and the advent of many new vehicles coming onto the road daily it will not belong before traffic in Chiang Mai becomes an even bigger concern than it currently is.

School pick up times and peak periods can be real pain when you are negotiating your way through the city and at times its seem to be sea of songteaws and tuk tuks who further exacerbate the problem with constant pick ups,drop offs with resultant double parking etc

Have any traffic studies been done? or have other options been considered to alleviate the grid lock effect. I have only been here a short time but I seem to remember reading that buses were introduced, a while ago, on a trial basis. what happened there ?After living in Bangkok for 8 years I preferred commuting by motor cycle taxis for short journeys which provided some respite from the horrendous traffic there and were reasonably priced.

Would they help the situation in CM ? I see also talk about widening some roads. Realistically I cant see that ever happening The compensation to land owners would be astronomical and who wants highways through the city ? Any positive suggestions /thoughts anyone ?

I have only been here a short time

Over what period of time do you base your view?

In the 20 months I have been here I would argue that the increase in fuel costs have seen a vast reduction in vehichles on the road.

When back in the United Kingdom the lack of traffic here is one of the things that really stands out. To date the only traffic jam I can recall being caught in was at New Year on the Canal Road trying to cross the Doi Suthep Road (Songkran around the moat exempted). The increase of Thai traffic is very noticable then.

Iain

:) You have lived in Bangkok for 8 years and are worried about traffic jams in Chiang Mai?????? I admit the traffic in Chiang Mai can be fairly busy at times but it is still a far cry from the everyday crawl in Bangkok.

Having said that, a better bus system and less songthaews would help in Chiang Mai. But I am afraid it is not going to happen soon due to vested interests. Some other Thai cities like Ubon do have proper bus lines though...

As mentioned above and on several other topics about CM traffic snafu's, foreign input does not appear to be solicited nor considered, when it is presented. Twenty years ago the few traffic lights which were installed were seldom activated. The same group who sets in the shade to switch the lights during early morning, were the same group who used to randomly turn the lights on and stand on the corner to watch the demolition derby. At least in Bangkok, the BIB will get in the intersection and control traffic flow, somewhat. When they (whoever they is) figure out how to get the lights on either side of the river bridges working for continual flow and refrain from setting up motorcycle checks at high traffic areas during high traffic periods, then you may be able to approach (they) with constructive suggestions.

Does anyone remember a story in Citylife a few years back about an automated traffic light system that they were thinking of installing in CM? I can't remember all the details, but I think the system was the same one that's used in parts of Japan and Europe with great success. They tried it here for a few weeks, but the traffic police claimed it didn't work and it was scrapped. I guess they were worried about their jobs.

:) You have lived in Bangkok for 8 years and are worried about traffic jams in Chiang Mai?????? I admit the traffic in Chiang Mai can be fairly busy at times but it is still a far cry from the everyday crawl in Bangkok.

Having said that, a better bus system and less songthaews would help in Chiang Mai. But I am afraid it is not going to happen soon due to vested interests. Some other Thai cities like Ubon do have proper bus lines though...

I know its far cry from Bangkok thats obvious However I am talking about the years down the road. CM has the potential, beause of its geography, to have major problems. Its known as planning.Already we have citizens concened about pollution when the annual burn off combined with exhaust emmisions to make the air pretty unpleasant. I had hoped there might have been some suggestion by the local authorities on how they plan to combat it. Electric buses and cycle taxis for example., a limit on songteaws .I would hate to see any more flyovers they are a blot on any landscape

Dare I say Chiang Mai Mail ? Sorry I got to read something. This weeks edition has an editorial (?) about this very subject. Well written and gives history of plans put forth in the past as well as the recent plan to bow down to the 4 wheel monster. Check it out. Save CM.

If you live in Nimmenhemim then you exist in an already traffic mess that will only get worse. I live on the other side, Changklan, and can only ask what traffic problems?

I live in the Nimmanhaemin area. Traffic is fine on a motorcycle or bicycle. I don't understand why anyone insists on using a car or truck anywhere in Cm for that matter.

But to help traffic flow and, more importantly, make the roads safer, the powers that be should consider changing the timing of the traffic lights. Currently, at intersections with a traffic light, traffic flows in only one direction at a time while traffic from the other 3 directions sits and waits, often for 5 minutes at a time. They need to change to a system where opposite sides go simultaneously, then a short period for vehicles turning right. Two minutes later, switch and have the vehicles that were waiting at the cross-street go through. Eliminating the long waits with the current system will lessen the problem of vehicles speeding through the red lights and driving on the wrong side of the road to make a right turn.

Noise and Doc got it right as to buses vs songtiews. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a change.

I use a m/c every day to go to school (YMCA). Never any traffic problem.

16km from San Patong to CM, then the length of the moat.

Maybe they should just ban private cars and just allow sontaw and m/cs

Of course the the big 4x4 owners won't like that, but you don't need to drive one of those round here.

PS

To the poster above, you can turn left on a red light.

Edited by pjclark1

I know its far cry from Bangkok thats obvious However I am talking about the years down the road. CM has the potential, beause of its geography, to have major problems. Its known as planning.Already we have citizens concened about pollution when the annual burn off combined with exhaust emmisions to make the air pretty unpleasant. I had hoped there might have been some suggestion by the local authorities on how they plan to combat it. Electric buses and cycle taxis for example., a limit on songteaws .I would hate to see any more flyovers they are a blot on any landscape

What fly-overs? They are almost all fly-unders here.

IMO, with the exception of Songkhran and Loy Krathong, Chiang Mai traffic is rarely at a standstill for more than a few minutes. It may move slowly but it is always moving.

What fly-overs? They are almost all fly-unders here.

IMO, with the exception of Songkhran and Loy Krathong, Chiang Mai traffic is rarely at a standstill for more than a few minutes. It may move slowly but it is always moving.

Beam me up Scotty!! :)

Have to say, I think the traffic is remarkably good. Can't complain at all. Even in rush hour it doesn't grind to a halt and the system of highways makes it easy to get anywhere in the city from anywhere in under 20 minutes.

Compared to Bangkok, there's no comparison, and even compared to comparably sized cities in the UK such as Cambridge or Oxford, its much better.

If you live in Nimmenhemim then you exist in an already traffic mess that will only get worse. I live on the other side, Changklan, and can only ask what traffic problems?

I live in the Nimmanhaemin area. Traffic is fine on a motorcycle or bicycle. I don't understand why anyone insists on using a car or truck anywhere in Cm for that matter.

But to help traffic flow and, more importantly, make the roads safer, the powers that be should consider changing the timing of the traffic lights. Currently, at intersections with a traffic light, traffic flows in only one direction at a time while traffic from the other 3 directions sits and waits, often for 5 minutes at a time. They need to change to a system where opposite sides go simultaneously, then a short period for vehicles turning right. Two minutes later, switch and have the vehicles that were waiting at the cross-street go through. Eliminating the long waits with the current system will lessen the problem of vehicles speeding through the red lights and driving on the wrong side of the road to make a right turn.

Noise and Doc got it right as to buses vs songtiews. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a change.

Not everyone lives in the city do they, and not everyone has a motorbike or bicycle. Hope that explains why people have cars.

Any solution should take all forms of transport into consideration. But this begs the question of police enforcement and driver/rider education. Without the appliccation of some discipline changes to traffic light sequencing and using roundabouts would imho not work as it might in other countries.

Not everyone lives in the city do they, and not everyone has a motorbike or bicycle. Hope that explains why people have cars.

No that doesn't explain at all why people have cars.

Any solution should take all forms of transport into consideration.

i agree with that. All forms of transportation should be considered in the solutions to the problem (if there really is one). London has already implemented a solution, and New York City will too soon, whereby all cars and trucks entering the inner city pay a hefty fee. Bicycles are free. Motorcycles pay a nominal fee if at all. That does take cars into consideration.

caf wrote:

But this begs the question of police enforcement and driver/rider education. Without the appliccation of some discipline changes to traffic light sequencing and using roundabouts would imho not work as it might in other countries.

What makes you think that if CM had light sequencing as in other countries, drivers/riders wouldn't have the same discipline as in those countries. In this case it's the poor light sequencing that has forced the drivers into bad habits.

Eljefe

I understand and agree your idea for traffic light sequencing but this is Thailand. Do you know why the "powers that be" have it the way it is?

Same reason that they use u-turns a lot and have few roundabouts

Enforcement and better training would improve driving/riding and solve some traffic problems. But I do not hold my breath,

Sorry you did not understand why some people drive cars. Clue: Family of 4 living in the sticks??

Let me see if I have this right

Most Thais travel by Songtaw or m/c and are fairly poor.

Quite a lot of wealthy expats like to drive round in 4x4s and think the Thais ought to knock down their houses and build bigger roads for the expats to drive around in their big 4x4s cos they don't like sitting in traffic jams for 5 minutes. Even though the poor Thai people don't want bigger roads.

Have I got that right, or am I completely wrong (as usual)

Most drivers/riders in CMai usually obey most traffic signals.

Only my experience, but I find more people going through red lights here than in the uk.

If you mean running through 2 seconds after yellow changes to red, I agree. Slightly worse than Houston. :)

Yes;, CMai city is not designed for autos.

Let me see if I have this right

Most Thais travel by Songtaw or m/c and are fairly poor.

Quite a lot of wealthy expats like to drive round in 4x4s and think the Thais ought to knock down their houses and build bigger roads for the expats to drive around in their big 4x4s cos they don't like sitting in traffic jams for 5 minutes. Even though the poor Thai people don't want bigger roads.

Have I got that right, or am I completely wrong (as usual)

Right on PJ, you hit this one square on target. You said it all sweetly . Thanx.

With you two's agreement and knack for reading the posts made on this topic and then giving your translation/interpretation, I am surprised you have not been offered employment by the English language newspapers in Bangkok.

Some folks are so complicated they cannot see the simple solutions.

I believe these folks are government employees who feel unless millions of dollars and years of study are needed then there is no answer, it's called job security !

With you two's agreement and knack for reading the posts made on this topic and then giving your translation/interpretation, I am surprised you have not been offered employment by the English language newspapers in Bangkok.

Some folks are so complicated they cannot see the simple solutions.

I believe these folks are government employees who feel unless millions of dollars and years of study are needed then there is no answer, it's called job security !

and replying in bold makes the answer to me so much clearer :)