Bringing Thai Documents To The Uk

Ok, so in a previous thread that I started, I asked about getting things ready for when the TW gets her settlement visa (please God let it be soon! :) ) but it seems that herself is not altogether happy with the information that some of you kindly offered as she has been doing her own research on the Lady Inter site and it conflicts with what I've been relaying to her.

So....I need cold hard facts now if possible, rather than opinions, on the issue of translating important Thai documents for use in the UK. Her sources tells her that translations of our marriage certificate and her birth certificate both need to be certified and stamped by the Ministry in BKK. Other posters on the same forum have said that everything that you translate should be ministry certified. With the cost of getting these documents certified and sent by post coming in at B1,600 each or the alternative being a trek for her from Chiang Mai to Bangkok to do them there and then, I'd really like to know with some degree of certainty what, if anything at all, needs to be certified and what doesn't.

My point throughout this discussion with 'er indoors is that who in the UK honestly has a clue what a Thai Ministry stamp either looks like or is worth?.... I could be wrong, however, and there could be official bodies in the UK who are aware of it and will insist on it.

7by7, you offered info on this matter in my previous thread and while I don't doubt the truth of your own experience of the situation, I would appreciate input from other posters who've been there done that.

Cheers in advance.

Ok, so in a previous thread that I started, I asked about getting things ready for when the TW gets her settlement visa (please God let it be soon! :) ) but it seems that herself is not altogether happy with the information that some of you kindly offered as she has been doing her own research on the Lady Inter site and it conflicts with what I've been relaying to her.

So....I need cold hard facts now if possible, rather than opinions, on the issue of translating important Thai documents for use in the UK. Her sources tells her that translations of our marriage certificate and her birth certificate both need to be certified and stamped by the Ministry in BKK. Other posters on the same forum have said that everything that you translate should be ministry certified. With the cost of getting these documents certified and sent by post coming in at B1,600 each or the alternative being a trek for her from Chiang Mai to Bangkok to do them there and then, I'd really like to know with some degree of certainty what, if anything at all, needs to be certified and what doesn't.

My point throughout this discussion with 'er indoors is that who in the UK honestly has a clue what a Thai Ministry stamp either looks like or is worth?.... I could be wrong, however, and there could be official bodies in the UK who are aware of it and will insist on it.

7by7, you offered info on this matter in my previous thread and while I don't doubt the truth of your own experience of the situation, I would appreciate input from other posters who've been there done that.

Cheers in advance.

What Thai documents could she possibly need over here? All she needs is her passport with the visa in it. If need be, she can bring her Thai ID, but anything else is not needed. The only other thing you might possibly need if you are coming on a marriage visa and got married in Thailand would be a translation of your Thai marriage certificate.

Cheers in advance.

I've never actually brought Thai documents to the UK but I have SENT documents for various purposes. In every case I was advised that any translated documents needed to be legalised by Consular Services at the MFA in Bangkok and furthermore then needed to be notarised by the UK Embassy or by an Honorary UK Consulate. The UK notarisation cannot be done prior to getting the legalisation.

I think that, in your case, it rather depends on what the documents are and what is their intended use. Certainly, you should get your Marriage Certificate and Registration Document sorted. I guess that it might be a good idea to get your wife's Birth Certificate done, also.

This is just my personal experience - your mileage may differ, as they say.

DM

Cheers in advance.

The only documents I've had to produce so far has been my stepdaughters birth certificate when I applied for child benefit and our marriage certificate. I sent the Thai original birth certificate and a translated copy, translated in a translation shop in Thailand, along with an explanation and this was acceptable. I did the same with the marriage certificate.

When a friend applied for his stepdaughters child benefit he just sent the Thai originals, without any translation, and that was also acceptable.

I don't know of anybody whose had a problem with any translated documents, wherever they were translated.

Cheers in advance.

I've never actually brought Thai documents to the UK but I have SENT documents for various purposes. In every case I was advised that any translated documents needed to be legalised by Consular Services at the MFA in Bangkok and furthermore then needed to be notarised by the UK Embassy or by an Honorary UK Consulate. The UK notarisation cannot be done prior to getting the legalisation.

I think that, in your case, it rather depends on what the documents are and what is their intended use. Certainly, you should get your Marriage Certificate and Registration Document sorted. I guess that it might be a good idea to get your wife's Birth Certificate done, also.

This is just my personal experience - your mileage may differ, as they say.

DM

Well, as I understood things, we certainly need a translated copy of our marriage certificate and her birth certificate and I was thinking that her degree certificate and TOEIC test certificate would be useful also.

You're saying that we do need such things to be stamped by the relevant authorities, while in Sumrit's experience, this hasn't been necessary....and there outlines why I'm looking for some clarity on the subject. I'd hate 'er indoors to arrive here with just shop-done translations, only to find that they aren't acceptable but then finances are tight right now, so I'd equally hate to spend money on getting things legitimised when it's not necessary. Well, cheers for your views guys and please, anyone else with experiences, do be forthcoming with them.

Thanks

We have only ever translated the following docs and we have had no problems since being in the UK.

Marriage certificate, wife and step daughters birth certificates.

These were done in Bangkok at a translater near the British Embassy none were notarised or legalised.

My wife is working with her own bank account which on application at the branch they requested to look at her translated marriage certificate.

We successfully applied for ILR and again all that was supplied in the application was the translated Marriage and birth certs.

regards

Spike