The Thousand Baht Rule

KevinHunt

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would any self respecting bar stock leo.............its weak as p-ss and a girlie beer,or for cheepskates.and is n't the thousand baht rule only applying to the purchase of a lady's time i.e "that is i'm not paying anymore" in fact in today's climate maybe it should be "the 500 baht rule" amen.

During this worldwide economic crisis, maybe business owners should be looking at cheaper alternatives and ways to make their products more avoidable in order to attract more customers on lower budgets, without somehow lowering the tone of the establishment, rather than struggling on trying to impress declining customers on higher budgets. It`s makes good business savvy.

Business proprietors must learn to adapt with the economic times, but there is a lot of arrogance in business that has took many down in the past.

why would any self respecting bar stock leo.............its weak as p-ss and a girlie beer,or for cheepskates.and is n't the thousand baht rule only applying to the purchase of a lady's time i.e "that is i'm not paying anymore" in fact in today's climate maybe it should be "the 500 baht rule" amen.

During this worldwide economic crisis, maybe business owners should be looking at cheaper alternatives and ways to make their products more avoidable in order to attract more customers on lower budgets, without somehow lowering the tone of the establishment, rather than struggling on trying to impress declining customers on higher budgets. It`s makes good business savvy.

Business proprietors must learn to adapt with the economic times, but there is a lot of arrogance in business that has took many down in the past.

seriously if us expats cant afford a singh(average price beer)its time to go home,i know most thais drink leo cos its cheaper and the girls like it cos it looks like a beer without tasting like one,but you have a point unfortunately as i see expats have taken to drinking archa and cheers cos of the price difference.

You're absolutely right. No more Mr. Nice Guy. 'Viscious, but fair' that's my new motto. :)

And for the sake of expediency, I'll probably need an abbreviated version of 'could you please vacate the premises, Sir'.

Any suggestions?

JohnCleese.jpg

Oye you ya Dropkick~ Rack Off!!

:D

Another one of your "not so clever posts" Your not French are you ? :D

Beer has a shelf life (and in bottles it is three months)

And Leo Beer is cat's pyss and is a girlie drink.

So if Kev doesn't want to stock it I would agree with him. If you did a survey of the bars that serve (stock) Leo you be lucky to find 50 % of them that do.

As for arrogance taking businesses down it must be on the wane because Kevin has been doing quite well thank you for at least 20 years in CM. I would think he has learnt something over that time :):D

The biggest <deleted> up in recent history "in respect of beer" is that the beer oligarchy in Thailand could not get their shyt right with Carlsberg and now Chang is perhaps the closest substitute.

Again Leo, is for girls either genetically or metaphorically :D

Which are you ???

Kevin,

I can beat that one mate, during the Ashes Final the one were England won in 2005 or 6 I cant remember which year I had a customer call my pub to book a table so he could see the ashes. He wanted a table for 4 at 6pm near one of my big screens and they would be eating as well. Anyway, it was a busy night and 6pm came and went so at 6:45pm I let the table go. A little later this little Indian guy walks up to me and starts shouting and giving me abuse about not saving a table for him.

I let him know he was very late so its his fault but if he would sit at the bar I will let him have a table when one is free.

I also gave him a drink on the house, which I thought was being over the top nice.

A short while later there was a free table and so I sat him down and asked where are the rest of his friends? He says they were not coming after all. So anyway he had a table so I left him to it.

20 minutes later, my staff tells me he is eating food from outside! So I go and investigate and see he is in fact eating a packed lunch!!!. What a tight wa-ker. I gave him a menu and told him to put his food away. I also notice that he did not buy another drink. He tells me that he is eating his own food and doesn’t want to buy anymore. So I turned off the Cricket!

And told him to <deleted>-k off. He walked out of my pub saying that he will take his business elsewhere! What a Jock Strap!

So if Kev doesn't want to stock it I would agree with him. If you did a survey of the bars that serve (stock) Leo you be lucky to find 50 % of them that do.

As for arrogance taking businesses down it must be on the wane because Kevin has been doing quite well thank you for at least 20 years in CM. I would think he has learnt something over that time :):D

The biggest <deleted> up in recent history "in respect of beer" is that the beer oligarchy in Thailand could not get their shyt right with Carlsberg and now Chang is perhaps the closest substitute.

Which are you ???

Again as I have said in the past, you must have had a sub standard form of education because it seems you cannot respond to some posts without having to use bad language and personal insults to make your point.

If you can become provoked this easily just from a forum, especially from something that`s not personally directed at you, what must you be like in a real life scenario?

Edited by sassienie

Which are you ???

Do what?

All beer in Thailand is pretty bad, it really is very silly to argue Singha and Chang are much better than Leo blah blah blah......

All that it shows is that most people really don't know anything about good beer, but are suckers for advertising and brand image.

Oh and beer has a longer shelf life than 3 months.

I would have thought that after having a restaurant in Chiang Mai for many years, any experienced restaurant proprietor would have the expertise to know how to deal with these situations rather than asking on a forum.

Also there is a large demand for Leo beer in Chiang Mai, mostly as a cheaper alternative to other brands. So this may be a good hint and a lesson for Kevin hunt who may now want to consider serving Leo beer in his restaurant, or is serving cheaper beer bad for business, less profits maybe?

I wasn't asking for advice, I was merely relating an interesting episode in the pub. I think I handled it quite well. As regards to selling Leo, I already stock about 14 different beers so I'm afraid I don't have enough room in the fridge for more, and it wouldn't be so popular amongst my clientele - if I thought it was, I would stock it.

But you mentioned that the customer went and purchased Leo beer somewhere else and brought it back to your restaurant.

So it is popular amongst your clientele, only you don`t stock it.

Also I respect all nationalities here and I'm certain that you would not discriminate between an Australian customer's baht and any other nationalities money when spending in your restaurant.

I fancy a night off tonight, would you like to take over?

I can't sell every beer - nowhere does. How many beers does your good friend Charlie sell? Probably at lot less than I do. Whatever reason he has for selling whatever beers he sells I'm sure he's got it right because he probably knows his business and so knows what to sell and why he sells it. So do I, believe it or not. I sell what's most popular and what I have room in the fridges for. That's not rocket science is it? If someone comes to my bar and likes Leo, they can either go elsewhere or drink one of the other 14 beers I sell. The guy in question was drinking draught heineken and since he and his friends had 3 jugs I assume they liked it, but he then went out and bought bottled Leo. I know that 7-11 doesn't sell draught Heineken (why not?) so for whatever reason he chose Leo. Maybe because of thriftiness or maybe even because he likes it. Who knows? 

I've no idea what you're on about in the last sentence. Why would I discriminate against any nationality? Where did I say that I do? This was just a bit of idle banter , nothing more. And, if you can, give me some credit for knowing what I'm doing, because not only am I actually doing it as opposed to talking about it, I've been doing it for 20 years. It's not a little plaything, it's my livelihood, and I do what I think is best because it's important to me and my family.

Did anybody else notice that I didn't tell the guy to 'piss off', I never mentioned corkage to him, I didn't get on my high horse, I just gave a wry grin of disbelief and walked away. I've never even refused Free Water to a customer, ever. In that little story the guy left before the waiter realised what he wanted. That was my point - he got on his high horse and marched out - and I thought it was funny. Just like Saturday. I thought it was funny and lots of people who weren't involved or affected, are getting all unnecessary about it. :)

All good fun.

Edited by KevinHunt

Kevin,

I can beat that one mate, during the Ashes Final the one were England won in 2005 or 6 I cant remember which year I had a customer call my pub to book a table so he could see the ashes. He wanted a table for 4 at 6pm near one of my big screens and they would be eating as well. Anyway, it was a busy night and 6pm came and went so at 6:45pm I let the table go. A little later this little Indian guy walks up to me and starts shouting and giving me abuse about not saving a table for him.

I let him know he was very late so its his fault but if he would sit at the bar I will let him have a table when one is free.

I also gave him a drink on the house, which I thought was being over the top nice.

A short while later there was a free table and so I sat him down and asked where are the rest of his friends? He says they were not coming after all. So anyway he had a table so I left him to it.

20 minutes later, my staff tells me he is eating food from outside! So I go and investigate and see he is in fact eating a packed lunch!!!. What a tight wa-ker. I gave him a menu and told him to put his food away. I also notice that he did not buy another drink. He tells me that he is eating his own food and doesn't want to buy anymore. So I turned off the Cricket!

And told him to <deleted>-k off. He walked out of my pub saying that he will take his business elsewhere! What a Jock Strap!

To put it into perspective first, these are exceptionally rare occurences, but I can beat that.

I had three young English guys sat right under one of my TV's watching the FA cup final. The pub was full and people were going elsewhere to watch it because they couldn't get a seat. At half time one of the three lads popped out and returned with three bottles of no brand 5 baht water. I happened to be standing next to their table at the time so when he pulled them out I politely told him that it's okay to bring drinks from outside, but he should know that we charge 100 baht corkage per bottle for drinks from outside. In a very similar response to the guy last Saturday he said, quite earnestly, that they had already had a bottle of water each and a sandwich each. He seemed to imply that since he had already spent a 'considerable amount' already it was only fair to now bring in his own. This would have been more like the 100 baht rule ( or 300 since there were three of them). As it was, they chose not to open their water, but a young Aussie sat on the next table was so apalled by their behaviour he ordered three bottles of water for them and he paid for them. I assume he was either trying to show them up, or maybe even showing pity for them?

All good fun, again!!

Anyway, I'm off to 'work' now.  Unfortunately, these eccentric customers are far and few between so it will probaly be incident free. Pity!!

Edited by KevinHunt

Anyway, I'm off to 'work' now. Unfortunately, these eccentric customers are far and few between so it will probaly be incident free. Pity!!

Try this, 12 book into the hotel dining room for an evening meal. 8 of the 12 order prime scotch fillet.

7 of the 8 steak eaters, cleared their plates and the 8th one leaves less than a bitefull of steak on his plate and tells me he is not going to pay for his dinner as the steak " was off "

I asked the other 7 how their steak was, delicious they said, then I asked the guy why he had eaten 95%his steak if he considered it "off" , well he wasn't sure to start with if it was "off" or not he said. Incidentially his steak was cut from the same fillet as everyone elses.

There are some cases where the customer is not always right, and there are always those that will have a go, you will have to use your imagination as to how I handled this, perhaps more to the point how would you guys have handled it?

I would have comp'd it and not batted a eye. If you create a scene then risk losing the other 11 customers in the future as well as negative goodwill.

We are talking about a high end place with premium prices right? Well expect to have some pissy customers who expect the best.

It's always a good idea to visit diners soon after they receive their food and ask them if everything is okay. That might result in more food being returned but overall in happier return customers. Reading body language is important also. If someone screws their face up when you ask then ask again.. A lot of customers are shy to complain.

The guy sounds like a piece of work but it's just part of business and most people are more honest and reasonable.

Which are you ???

Leo?

Leogirls3.jpg

Singha?

2835490921_5d3b0d4f62.jpg

or Chang?

changbeer_sk.jpg

all look good to me :)

If Kevin had these girls in his pub at night then every wanke_r on this forum would be turning up to drink cat piss; even if he served it hot. Nobody would even ask what it was they were drinking. :D

Try this, 12 book into the hotel dining room for an evening meal. 8 of the 12 order prime scotch fillet.

7 of the 8 steak eaters, cleared their plates and the 8th one leaves less than a bitefull of steak on his plate and tells me he is not going to pay for his dinner as the steak " was off "

I asked the other 7 how their steak was, delicious they said, then I asked the guy why he had eaten 95%his steak if he considered it "off" , well he wasn't sure to start with if it was "off" or not he said. Incidentially his steak was cut from the same fillet as everyone elses.

There are some cases where the customer is not always right, and there are always those that will have a go, you will have to use your imagination as to how I handled this, perhaps more to the point how would you guys have handled it?

A bit of an odd situation. We have a policy of replacing any dish for something else if the customer doesn't like it. If a guy on one table praises our fish n chips and at the same time the guy on the next table say's it's not good we offer to replace it with something else or we don't charge. If he doesn't like it that's his view so I accept it. However, if he's eaten most of it, as you mentioned then he must pay. If he tries it and doesn't like it - fair enough, but if he's eaten most of it, he should pay. Having said that, if I'm busy I wouldn't want to waste time arguing with him or creating bad vibes so if he got awkward I'd probably bring him the bill for his drinks and let him pay and go. I couldn't be bothered arguing with someone like that, he wouldn't see your point and he's obviously a nutter so you might as well just get him out.

Your situation was different in that he was one of a group who were all otherwise satisfied. I'd probably make my case for him paying and if he didn't accept it, I wouldn't bother arguing more and I wouldn't charge him. His friends would obviously see him as being a bit of an idiot anyway, and you would probably gain more in the long run by being polite and impressing the others in the group with how you handled it. I assume that you'd have made enough profit from food and drink from 11 others to more than absorb the loss from one awkward idiot.

Very occasionally, a customer will come in and from the moment he speaks you know he'll be the one that you won't satisfy no matter what you do - professional moaners. They enjoy going out and finding fault. I had one like that and I spoilt his evening by not charging him for his food. Why did I do it? To piss him off by leaving him with nothing to complain about. It spoilt his evening and it was worth it. The guy was at a loss how to feel. He came out to moan and complain and left with the staff smiling and saying 'see you tomorrow'. The wind had been taken out of his sails and he looked dejected. Funnily enough, he came back the next night and didn't complain. :)

I've come late to this topic so It's all pretty much been said, it's much better than one of those expensive but dull sponsor banners though isn't it kevin? :D

Anyway on to more important matters, I'm back to CM in a weeks time and want to know did you get round to stocking beer from the German Brewhaus or not? If not I might have to make do with a smuggled in Leo :)

I've come late to this topic so It's all pretty much been said, it's much better than one of those expensive but dull sponsor banners though isn't it kevin? :D

Anyway on to more important matters, I'm back to CM in a weeks time and want to know did you get round to stocking beer from the German Brewhaus or not? If not I might have to make do with a smuggled in Leo :)

No, I didn't do the German Brewery beer in the end. I decided that maybe it might not sell enough to be fresh. I had draught Weihenstephan at one point but I couldn't sell enough. Draught beers have got to sell.

So, from next week I'll put the staff on high alert for smugglers. Good luck. :D

Which are you ???

Leo?

Leogirls3.jpg

Singha?

2835490921_5d3b0d4f62.jpg

or Chang?

changbeer_sk.jpg

all look good to me :)

If Kevin had these girls in his pub at night then every wanke_r on this forum would be turning up to drink cat piss; even if he served it hot. Nobody would even ask what it was they were drinking. :D

He's got the cutiest little hill tribe girl who sells those wooden frog chirpers hanging outside the wall, I instantly fell in love with her and if my wife wasn't with me, I would have proposed marriage to her on the spot... I woulda even had her baby. right then.. man, she is beautiful.

But alas, that was 4 months ago..and she still frequents my dreams.