Motorcycle Helmet Campaign

Look, I am going to cop a lot of criticism for what I am going to say, but I don't really give a, f'ing dam_n. Thailand is a third world country, and behind all the gloss and glamor that you might see in the society pages of the Bangkok Post, it all a facade. Thailand will always be a poor south east asian nation riddled with filthy corruption that is rotting it to the core. I don't say that to be inflammatory, but it is the god dam_n truth. When you have a country where 50 or so people can be killed in an inferno (NY eve, Santika Club) and no one is near being close to being held accountable, then do you really think you will make in roads with regards to road safety? hel_l no ... Road safety doesn't even rate a mention in the grand theme of things ... oh by the way mai pen rai ...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody said the same thing in that its just not worth not wearing one. The consistancy of police fines seemed to act as more of a deterant than the obvious risk of losing their life.

the patong police have permanet checkpoints, its not only helmets, but drink driving !, they are very strict with there laws in patong, but it seems to work

Look, I am going to cop a lot of criticism for what I am going to say, but I don't really give a, f'ing dam_n. Thailand is a third world country, and behind all the gloss and glamor that you might see in the society pages of the Bangkok Post, it all a facade. Thailand will always be a poor south east asian nation riddled with filthy corruption that is rotting it to the core. I don't say that to be inflammatory, but it is the god dam_n truth. When you have a country where 50 or so people can be killed in an inferno (NY eve, Santika Club) and no one is near being close to being held accountable, then do you really think you will make in roads with regards to road safety? hel_l no ... Road safety doesn't even rate a mention in the grand theme of things ... oh by the way mai pen rai ...

And why do you think you might ''cop a lot of criticism'' ?

You are entitled to post what you think and of course your opinion is welcome but I find most of the points you make irrelevant and your attitude slightly disapointing. The fire in Santika night club was indeed a horrific tragity but I fail to see what relevance it has to this topic. What has poverty and corruption got to do with people having accidents on motorbikes? Are your points about policing or awareness and education or what?

Have a pop at Thailand if you wish but do you suggest people should just accept the unecessary deaths of loved ones because the country is poor or politicaly corrupt?

Do you not agree that the needless deaths on our roads is an issue worth addressing? Is your suggestion, that because Thailand is a poor country, people should not try to make an effort to save lives and change things for the better?

Please dont think im just attacking your post but the OP has embarked on a very worth while campaign that effects us all and should be supported. Constructive comments and ideas are whats needed. Not an attack on Thailand and its people. I hope you never have to deal with the consequences of losing a loved one as a result of a road accident. If you are ever unfortunate enough to expirience such an event, maybe you might understand the need to deal with this issue.

While your opinion is welcome, your comments offer nothing in addressing the problem.

I'm afraid i have to agree with Brain 150, his points are mostly spot on. Making a big issue of not wearing a helmet is skirting the real issue which is driving/riding ability or more to the point lack of it. Driving/riding skills.. driving/riding experience.. road awareness..and knowledge of road law and the application of these things and the enforcement of them is an issue worth pursuing.

Concentrating on the real issue would have far more impact on road safety and personal road safety than wearing a helmet or not. Not wearing a helmet does not cause accidents...accidents are generally caused by bad driving/riding by yourself or by others and when it comes down to it not wearing a helmet is a personal choice that creates less safety only for yourself...not knowing how to drive/ride adequately or safely enough to be on the road or choosing not to drive safely makes you a danger to not only yourself but to everyone else on the road and that is a far bigger issue than whether you choose to wear a helmet or not..

I'm quite happy that people like Brain150, I think he missed out the LESS, :) ride around Samui helmetless Sooner or later it wil be one less moron to avoid. People seem to miss the point that it is the law! Regarless of choice or your own thoughts. Why do people seem to think it is OK to break the law just beause they come to Thailand ? In Chumphon there is a checkpoint somewhere around the town every day. 90% of people there wear one as they know they risk being stopped. As well as having more check points on Samui I would make the person fined for not having one buy one there and then or they are not allowed to continue on their journey. I'm surrised some enterprising police man has not thought of his before.

As for the OP request how about telling people that riding without a helmet WILL cost you money in the end Whether that is a few hundred baht for a fine or a million baht for a hospital bill it is going to cost you. FACT!!!!

And for the record I have 3 helmets. A half decent Thai helmet for going to the 7/11. An expensive full face Thai helmet for going on the ring road and a very expensive UK one for when I go onto the mainland. I rather like the inside of my head to stay where it is. :D

I started with mini-bikes when I was 8, later moving up to trail/dirt bikes, and raced motocross for a few years. I can't even count the number of accidents I've had, both on and off the tracks. Now I'm 60 and ride a CBR 150, usually at 100-120 kph on the highways, but even just going down to the market less than a kilometer from my house, I still put on my full helmet. I've seen far too many deaths and serious injuries that could have, or might have been prevented by the simple act of putting on a helmet. I lost two very good friends who died because while they were driving at no more than 30 mph, a dog ran out in front of them. The man swerved to miss it, hit a chuckhole and it threw them both sideways, where their unprotected heads slammed into the concrete. That was back in the U.S.

Granted, really good helmets are not cheap. I paid over 1,000 baht each for helmets for me, my Thai wife and her son, and the rule is - the helmet goes on before the bike starts up. While most Thai can't afford that, I know, there are a ton of places where relatively good helmets can be purchased other than Tesco or Big C for just a few baht more than what those places charge.

But as far as I'm concerned, even a "cheap" helmet is better than no helmet, and that anyone who rides without one is seriously lacking in common sense.

And why do you think you might ''cop a lot of criticism'' ?

You are entitled to post what you think and of course your opinion is welcome but I find most of the points you make irrelevant and your attitude slightly disapointing. The fire in Santika night club was indeed a horrific tragity but I fail to see what relevance it has to this topic. What has poverty and corruption got to do with people having accidents on motorbikes? Are your points about policing or awareness and education or what?

Have a pop at Thailand if you wish but do you suggest people should just accept the unecessary deaths of loved ones because the country is poor or politicaly corrupt?

Do you not agree that the needless deaths on our roads is an issue worth addressing? Is your suggestion, that because Thailand is a poor country, people should not try to make an effort to save lives and change things for the better?

Please dont think im just attacking your post but the OP has embarked on a very worth while campaign that effects us all and should be supported. Constructive comments and ideas are whats needed. Not an attack on Thailand and its people. I hope you never have to deal with the consequences of losing a loved one as a result of a road accident. If you are ever unfortunate enough to expirience such an event, maybe you might understand the need to deal with this issue.

While your opinion is welcome, your comments offer nothing in addressing the problem.

Smallprawn,

You missed my point. Of course I agree that deaths on the roads is an issue worth addressing (what is it, about 35 a day die in Thailand due to road accidents), and everything should be done to reduce the road toll.

Great idea Matt, respect for doing such.

But.. I am a hypocrit as most times I dont bother atm.. I got a free off the shelf helmet with my honda click motorbike (from bophut Honda shop) and previously I did purchased one from tesco for a few hundred baht. But people have since told me they are worthless and better not bothering, and proper helmet has to be fitted to exact head dimensions and definitely will cost a few thousand baht (definitely out of reach of most thais). Can someone clarify? And if I did want some protection on Samui where best to go and what to expect? Presumably for a little honda click it would be wrong to get a UK style helmet as there are portability issue and risk of theft when leaving helmet on motorbike, no one bothers to steal the cheapo ones right.

Edit: its scared me enough, im wearing my cheapo helmet to up the road, i hope makes some difference in event of accident...

matt,

Any protection is better then none at all.Now don't get me wrong here, but are work place helmets useless?Now we are not racing a bike at 100 k's + well most people aren't anyway, they are not designed for racing but at least they are something for normal riding on Samui, I'd much prefer having something on my head then nothing.

PS the previous post was not aimed at you, we both posted the same time.

Well put Rooo. Spot on in fact ... I don't think anyone can argue with those two point.

Anything that can at the very least cushion the impact of human tissue on bitumen has to be better than nothing at all doesn't it?

Often thought why doesn't someone invent an inflatable helmet ? It could be reinforced with kevlar cloth and kept in a ladies handbag. It could be as popular as the last great invention, the teabag !

I was wearing a lap belt in the family car starting in 1956; shoulder harness installed in my Vauxhall in 1962; required by USAF to wear motorcycle helmet in 1961, etc. If being a teacher in Thailand is on topic, my best student, a Thai genius, died from brain injuries sustained in a crash when stopped at a light; no helmet.

I bought a Thai full-face this month for 500 baht ('farang price' :) ). Better ones are around 1200 baht.

Good luck on Koh Samui.

How about starting some campains first about avoiding accidents than rather do these funny campaings about the results ?

Learn to drive a motorbike campaign

Learn not to use your mobile phone on a motorbike campaign

Learn the rules of traffic befor riding a motorbike campaign

Learn to be careful on a motorbike campaign

Learn not to drive piss-drunk on a motorbike campaign

Learn to respect others in traffic on a motorbike campaign

No no no ... it's allways the same old story, beter talk about the popular things which are sooooo much easier to tell everybody: "Don't lern how to do it, just wear a helmet and you are fine."

Sorry, but that's pretty naive.

BTW ... I am quite happy to NOT us a hlmet and it's MY decission. And I would prefer if I could keep this choice of NOT wearing a helmet !!! [maybe you should spend a minute or two tofind out WHY eerybody has to wear a helmet in europe ... and NO, the REAL reason is NOT because it' good for you !!! It's because social security systems save huge amounts of money. That's why they took the liberty from you to make a free choice.

And plase, spare me the whole discussion until you can tell me where in Tailand I can buy a real SAFETY helmet .... or do you realy think the 300 THB helmets from tesco will help you anything els than giving you a false impression of being safer ?

Start making a campaign about the real traffic problems plaese before always comming up with the same useless stories. Just becaus the europeans forced this apon every sheep there [for completely diferent reasons than the sheep think btw] doesn't mean it is good.

A helmet is NOT at any kind a solution to the real problem ... and it is NOT good to tell people otherwise.

Brain150,

I never used to wear a helmet on my motorbike. When you see one of your friends in the Intensive Care Unit at Bangkok Hospital in a coma due to a head injury you soon change your mind.

Good luck with not wearing a helmet.

Matt.

Good reply Matt and good luck with the campaign. All of us would be better off wearing helmets. I know i wish i had when i had my accident.

Easy to blame all ,but we never blame ourselves. :)

Oh I'll blame my self for a mishap I had last week... trying to beat a Safari truck, while heading out my driveway.... so I would not eat his dust! :D Sand road, so guess what! :D Great site for the tourist in the back of the truck, to see!

Luckily only ended up with scrape on arm & slightly bruised ribs... had I not had the helmet on, I would have had a nice bump on the head... & a new red hair do! :D

It occurs to me a good place to have signs, would be the Motorbike Rental Shops "It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!"".... (that's a good slogan!... I would perhaps add the word "helmet" )... Perhaps taking it further, "No Helmet... No Motorbike" ...... oh ...I can hear the groans from the moaners ... :D

But it is not just Samui, Koh Phengnan is worse for helmet-less people... my last few trips lately , I saw only one other person besides my self with a helmet :D And whilst visiting Thai friends in a remote, non tourist area in Songkhla Province... they have road checks for helmets... I was the passanger, with helmet, my Thai friend driving, no helmet..... guess who paid the fine! :D

In British Columbia, (I am not sure about other Provinces in Canada), even riding a bicycle, everyone has to wear a helmet... regardless of age, and it's enforced.... with a hefty fine :D

Edited by samuijimmy

....i like your statement so much!

it's so true...

Chayaphum :)

Pen Rai. See you sometime in the future. Jeez.

How about starting some campains first about avoiding accidents than rather do these funny campaings about the results ?

No no no ... it's allways the same old story, beter talk about the popular things which are sooooo much easier to tell everybody: "Don't lern how to do it, just wear a helmet and you are fine."

BTW ... I am quite happy to NOT us a hlmet and it's MY decission. And I would prefer if I could keep this choice of NOT wearing a helmet !!! [maybe you should spend a minute or two tofind out WHY eerybody has to wear a helmet in europe ... and NO, the REAL reason is NOT because it' good for you !!! It's because social security systems save huge amounts of money. That's why they took the liberty from you to make a free choice.

And plase, spare me the whole discussion until you can tell me where in Tailand I can buy a real SAFETY helmet .... or do you realy think the 300 THB helmets from tesco will help you anything els than giving you a false impression of being safer ?

Start making a campaign about the real traffic problems plaese before always comming up with the same useless stories. Just becaus the europeans forced this apon every sheep there [for completely diferent reasons than the sheep think btw] doesn't mean it is good.

A helmet is NOT at any kind a solution to the real problem ... and it is NOT good to tell people otherwise.

If you see the following campaigns would you wear your helmet then ?

You make good points. Then I see a great amount of irony in someone calling themselves 'brain' and choosing not to wear a helmet.

Agreed, helmets out here are crappy. But if someone can afford a 40,000 B bike (or whatever they cost) then surely 1000 B on a helmet is not too much is it ?

The Op appears to be planning his campaign on tourists (the 80% who read his site if I'm not mistaken) most of whom if they can afford the flight can afford a helmet.

It starts with education and you are quite right that there are other area's of road safety needing to be addressed. If this one step saves a life or serious injury then it's an honorable step to take, no ?

Edited by richard_smith237

• 2 weeks later...

Well hey there Matthew,

That is a fantastic initiative. If it prevents just one tragedy then it would be a success.

Perhaps some people might also want to look the Samui Rescue's you tube video However it is not for the faint hearted.

Hi Guys... I'm the one that posts the videos for Samui Rescue... Unfortunately, YouTube have flagged this vid, and warned me against posting similar, so it is no longer available. You were right though... it was a bit 'heavy'!... and deliberately so I may add! I am now almost at the point where I get angry when I get called out to (yet another) accident involving head injury (always serious) to a bike rider that wasn't wearing a helmet... it is just so bloody stupid not to wear one. I was called out to an accident on 22nd Sept (2am) in front of the Santibury Resort here in Maenam... an elderly English guy... serious head injury... no helmet. It came over our radio today that he has since died. A tragic waste of life... one more of too many!

I intend to post another 'Wear a helmet' video soon... so if you want to see the results of NOT wearing one, keep looking at the site on YouTube... 'samuirescue'.

If there is anything I can do to help in this campaign, please pm me.

Good luck people.... and for <deleted> sake WEAR A F**KING HELMET..... PLEASE!!! I am fed up of sending felang holiday-makers home in a box!

Peace.... alan

Hi Alan,

Great to see you on this forum. For those that don't know Alan he is heavily involved with Samui Rescue foundation, and an all round top guy. I have had the pleasure of meeting with Alan recently and hearing about all the wonderful work that they Samui Rescue do. Please please please listen to what he is saying for <deleted> sake WEAR A F**KING HELMET.

Keep up the great work Alan

Bridge

I'm in the process of setting up a non-profit website with the aim of publicising motorcycle safety and general samui road awareness for both tourists and residents. Alan, I'd be really appreciative if you could upload your videos once it's live - I'll get in touch once the bare bones site is in place, got a few ideas for getting information out and about (and am of course open to input from anyone on the island) unlike Youtube I have no problem with heavy footage being included.

I'll post further information once the domain is set up and basic content is in place, I'd like to get as many people involved in this as possible, the subject affects everyone on the island, usually in a tragic manner.

Hi Allan & danw,

Been talking with Matt, re this campaign. Maybe, we can start by posting on here the # of injuries & deaths taking place I can pinn it so it's always visible.They used to have these published in the old community newspaper, I know they used to get info from the reported cases with hospitals.

There also used to be a sign on the road, facing the exit of the old terminal. It used to have a running tally of the # for the month & warning visitors to wear a helmet.

Hi Alan,

Great to see you on this forum. For those that don't know Alan he is heavily involved with Samui Rescue foundation, and an all round top guy. I have had the pleasure of meeting with Alan recently and hearing about all the wonderful work that they Samui Rescue do. Please please please listen to what he is saying for <deleted> sake WEAR A F**KING HELMET.

Keep up the great work Alan

Bridge

You are a gent and a scholar my friend... and there ain't many of us left! lol Thanx for the compliments... and whilst I know that Samui Rescue is far from perfect (!)... they are all amazing people who simply try to do what they can to help... and boy are they busy these days! I know all the arguments regarding 'Education, NOT legislation' (the strap-line for the fight against compulsory wearing of helmets in the U.K. a life-time ago).. I was chanting it as a Mantra for years... however, having seen the gross head injuries resulting from even low-speed spills (mixed with a portion of immense bad-luck), I now really don't give a Badger's Nat about politics, free will, education, etc... helmets save lives... SIMPLE! ... and if you are stupid enough not to realise that the risk factors here on Samui are sky-high enough (whether you are experienced as a rider or not!) even if you DO wear a helmet... and you then still decide not to wear one... then you will probably be meeting up with me (or one of my colleagues) in due course! Sorry... but as I said in my earlier post... the waste of life/serious injury, and plain stupidity is starting to get to me! (I'll be ok after a fag and a coffee though!)... Peace... alan

I'm in the process of setting up a non-profit website with the aim of publicising motorcycle safety and general samui road awareness for both tourists and residents. Alan, I'd be really appreciative if you could upload your videos once it's live - I'll get in touch once the bare bones site is in place, got a few ideas for getting information out and about (and am of course open to input from anyone on the island) unlike Youtube I have no problem with heavy footage being included.

I'll post further information once the domain is set up and basic content is in place, I'd like to get as many people involved in this as possible, the subject affects everyone on the island, usually in a tragic manner.

Great bud.... I have no probs with that at all! Ready when you are! :)

Hi Allan & danw,

Been talking with Matt, re this campaign. Maybe, we can start by posting on here the # of injuries & deaths taking place I can pinn it so it's always visible.They used to have these published in the old community newspaper, I know they used to get info from the reported cases with hospitals.

There also used to be a sign on the road, facing the exit of the old terminal. It used to have a running tally of the # for the month & warning visitors to wear a helmet.

Hi Rooo... good one! Although I have to say (erm... rather diplomatically!) that the recorded figures don't always erm... 'fully represent' the true picture (and I am talking about Rescue's figures here!)... I have no problem in liasing with our HQ in Nathon on a regular basis and grabbing the island's total figures, and passing them on. Chatting with my colleagues around the island will often give a more 'representitive' figure. We can but try eh? I know this sounds corny and patronising, but ANYTHING we can do to push this message simply has to be worth it. peace - alan

Hi Allan & danw,

Sorry Rooo... still getting used to finding my way around the site and pressing the right buttons! My response to you is below (somewhere!)... lol... alan

Hi Matt,

We are a bit wrapped up with the TV Benefit Bike Weeked coming later - however if their is anything our MC can do suppor tyou - please do ask... Another concern of the public that needs to be set proper...

We participate in an International School Fun Fair every year - this year was exceptional as they rented mini bikes with helmets, elbow pads, knee pads and proper protection to give the kids - raod safety lessons and basic ridding skills (which we instructed in Thai and English)...

Cheers! Good on ya! And from living in Samui for 2 years, definately respect the roads! (lol) Be safe!

Hi Everyone,

We are thinking of running a small campaign on our Internet login page with regards to motorcycle helmet safety.

This is the page that our users see when connecting to our Internet service. 80% of these users are tourists here on holiday, the other local residents.

We're not sure what type of banner advert to use. We were looking at adverts from this page:

http://www.wear-a-helmet.com/

However, we are thinking that they are a bit too graphic for our users to be seeing every time they use the Internet...

Any suggestions are welcome on this matter. This is obviously a subject that effects us all here.

Kind Regards,

Matt.

yes i am up or showing information about motorbike saftey but i don't agrea with a law to inforce people to wear them. well not adults. maybe children under 18. people you have the information then make achoce about there own saftey then it is there own fault should they get drunk ride lik a snake smack their heads on the floor an have nrain surgury and have a million baht bill to pay.

i mean i know people should feel sorry for peole when they are in bits but some times. really whos fault is it. no wonder england as a goverment that acts like a nany. fact is we don'tneed 1. just a bit of common sense.

how about this as an advert.

" use your common sense while you are still lucky enough to have a brain or you might not have a brain to use, should you not wear a helmet."

Or

" don't wear a helmet and spend your parradise holiday in a wheel chair. "

Or

Drive parrarletic and wake up parralised

hope this helps. tough words for togh situation

Your reply is pathetic wearing a helmet might just save your life when you come accross people that dont do any of the following.

Learn to drive a motorbike

Learn not to use your mobile phone on a motorbike

Learn the rules of traffic befor riding a motorbike

Learn to be careful on a motorbike

Learn not to drive piss-drunk on a motorbike

Learn to respect others in traffic on a motorbike