Auto Enthusiasts

Pepe'

i doubt if there are any electric hybrids here yet , the toyota and honda production models are not sold here , some taxis , tuk-tuks and maybe buses use gas / diesel hybrid systems , maybe some private motorists have converted their petrol engines to run on gas too.

dont know where they fill up though.

I've seen 1 hybrid here. One of those Toyota Alphard MPV things. It said it was a hybrid and I read somewhere that Toyota has fitted those out with the same electric/petrol as the Prius has.

I assume it was a personal import through SEC, etc.

The hybrids aren't too bad - I drove a Prius for a week in Europe. The electric motor was nice for going around town but it didn't last long before the petrol cut in to keep the batteries powered. Overall though, I didn't find the hybrid to be any more efficient than a diesel I had been driving the previous week...

dont know where they fill up though.

The PTT station opposite my house in Sri Racha has gas available,

but I do not think there are too many around,

which is why abandoned the idea of a change.

The range of the gas tank is only 200km!!

The 3 most common hybrids in Thailand are the Motorbike /motorbike, motorbike/pick-up and pick-up/buffalo.

The first two are achieved by the rider of one motorbike turning off the engine and either by being shunted along or clinging on to the other vehicle. The third is achieved by cutting the front off a pick-up and harnessing the back end to a buffalo.

All 3 result in a hundred percent fuel saving for one of the vehicles.

Edited by wilko

Coincidentally, there's an article in the Motoring section of the Bangkok Post about hybrids this morning.

It said there that electric hybrids do get special tax treatment as long as the engine is below 3000cc.

In the article they were talking about the various Toyota hybrids and commented that they would be a tough sell against imported diesels after all taxes had been taken into account.

Didn't read the whole article yet but someone's trying to promote hybrids. Pepe', it's not you is it? :o:D

I think Honda sells Civic Hybrid in Thailand through its dealers, but only fleet sales. And Toyota Prius is also imported from Japan and sold at B2.1 million but by pararllel importer. If I remember correctly, excise tax for electric hybrid car is set at 5 or 10%, much lower than 30% for most passenger cars, but the import duty for Prius is at 80%. Toyota has announced the production of Prius in China and I believe there is a good chance in future it will be built in Thailand as well (it's been speculated 5% excise tax announcement for hybrid is to attract Toyota to asssemble Prius in Thailand).

I think Honda sells Civic Hybrid in Thailand through its dealers, but only fleet sales.  And Toyota Prius is also imported from Japan and sold at B2.1 million but by pararllel importer.  If I remember correctly, excise tax for electric hybrid car is set at 5 or 10%, much lower than 30% for most passenger cars, but the import duty for Prius is at 80%.  Toyota has announced the production of Prius in China and I believe there is a good chance in future it will be built in Thailand as well (it's been speculated 5% excise tax announcement for hybrid is to attract Toyota to asssemble Prius in Thailand).

Thanx for the info. Anything that will help the air in BKK is a plus... :o

Coincidentally, there's an article in the Motoring section of the Bangkok Post about hybrids this morning.

It said there that electric hybrids do get special tax treatment as long as the engine is below 3000cc.

In the article they were talking about the various Toyota hybrids and commented that they would be a tough sell against imported diesels after all taxes had been taken into account.

Didn't read the whole article yet but someone's trying to promote hybrids. Pepe', it's not you is it?  :D  :D

Yes I am promoting them :o

Ill check the website. There fuel economy is good but again a bigger selling point should be the reduced emissions... :D