Were To Buy Elect Converter In Bkk

WilliamCave

It is not my favorite electronics shop in Thailand, but the "radio shack" of Thailand called "Amorn" which has many locations in Bangkok do stock several models of this type of item. Not really very expensive, but you might look at some independent shops to compare capacity, quality and price to what Amorn sells.

Do you really want a step-up transformer??? Thailand is already 220V :)

Anyway, assuming you want to run your 110V appliances here then any mom and pop electrical shop will have small converters, for bigger ones you'll need to visit Amorn or similar, there is a big Amorn in Chinatown.

Ensure your converter has enough oomph to run your appliance, look at the Watts figure on the appliance and get a bigger transformer.

Much of the high-tech stuff (PCs, camera chargers etc) has universal power supplies that are happy on 110 and 220V, check the rating plate for '100-250V' :D

Do you really want a step-up transformer??? Thailand is already 220V :)

Anyway, assuming you want to run your 110V appliances here then any mom and pop electrical shop will have small converters, for bigger ones you'll need to visit Amorn or similar, there is a big Amorn in Chinatown.

Ensure your converter has enough oomph to run your appliance, look at the Watts figure on the appliance and get a bigger transformer.

Much of the high-tech stuff (PCs, camera chargers etc) has universal power supplies that are happy on 110 and 220V, check the rating plate for '100-250V' :D

Thanks Crossy, and yes it is for 110v appliances in my work shop, because I am taking over personal power,tools and a few other things every time I go to thailand and will be only using them around the house. because I dont want to sell them they would cost to much to replace over in thailand. And the cost of a converter is alot cheaper than all new tools.

thanks

Be careful!! If your tools are designed for 60Hz & you use them on 50Hz, you may be buying new tools sooner than you think.

AGREED 100%!!!!!!

60Hz motors often have less iron in the cores (to cut costs), these will tend to overheat and possibly burn out, they will also likely run slow :) Unless you have something very special that is worth re-motoring I would sell them off at home and buy replacements here.

There is also the Thai wife/family issue, the plugs are the same and US kit does not like 220V :D Ever seen a 110V cylinder vacuum cleaner on 220V? Whittle jet engine look alike (including smoke and exhaust flames) :D