Visa By Post For Non-uk National

Please can someone advise on the application for a non-immigrant O visa, from Hull, for my Indonesian girlfriend - I must return to the UK to renew my visa, and could apply for the girlfriend at the same time. She will not be coming to England however, and will stay in Sumatra.

It is the only thing I can think of now that we cannot get a double entry tourist visa here in Indonesia.

I have read on this forum that it is OK for a UK citizen to apply in this way, but cannot find a post that mentions non-UK citizens.

Phoning done - they say it is OK for other nationalities to get Thai visas, by post, from Hull.

As has already been stated elsewhere, postal applications to be posted from, and back too, a UK address.

So you just need a reliable person in the UK to do the postal application for you, and to Fed Ex the passport back to you afterwards.

I wonder if this can be done in Perth, or elsewhere.

Phoning done - they say it is OK for other nationalities to get Thai visas, by post, from Hull.

As has already been stated elsewhere, postal applications to be posted from, and back too, a UK address.

So you just need a reliable person in the UK to do the postal application for you, and to Fed Ex the passport back to you afterwards.

But did you inform them that your GF is not in the country, if they check the passport they might find that she has not entered the UK and is still in Indonesia. Then they might contact the Consulate in Indonesia and ask why she did not apply there, maybe she has a bad track record in that Consulate. Her application might then be refused, due to you not using the correct procedures in place, also your application might also be refused for your part in this little deceit.

But did you inform them that your GF is not in the country, if they check the passport they might find that she has not entered the UK and is still in Indonesia. Then they might contact the Consulate in Indonesia and ask why she did not apply there, maybe she has a bad track record in that Consulate. Her application might then be refused, due to you not using the correct procedures in place, also your application might also be refused for your part in this little deceit.

you don't have to enter UK to get the visa. you can post it from abroad. the passport shouldn't also care if it is being posted or is with him but i guess only the postal is legal.

also, you are allowed to apply for the visa anywhere you want and since hull has been very good in issueing the visas i don't think they contact anyone about it (assuming indonesia isnt on some sort of checklist)

you don't have to enter UK to get the visa. you can post it from abroad. the passport shouldn't also care if it is being posted or is with him but i guess only the postal is legal.

also, you are allowed to apply for the visa anywhere you want and since hull has been very good in issueing the visas i don't think they contact anyone about it (assuming indonesia isnt on some sort of checklist)

She would have no entry stamp into the UK in her passport. Her visa would not be valid.

Edited by thaiphoon

Lordy guys, this forum has stated (elsewhere) that postal applications fer a Thai visa are OK, as long as the applicant is not in Thai at the time of application. You cannot apply without leaving Thai.

Nowhere (that I have found) is there stated that you have to travel to the country of application.

Authoratative clarification of this issue would, I'm sure, benefit a good few people.

She has applied for a tourist, single entry visa, in Denpasar. I told Hull this - Hull said - no problem, no need to cancel it, just present the non- imm. O multiple entry visa on arrival.

I also told Hull that she would be staying in Indonesia, that I would be bringing her passport with me when I renewed my multiple entry O.

NO DECEIT WHATSOEVER.

Edited by fridgemagnet

Phoned Perth consulate in June and they stated that they do not accept mail applications for Multi-O visas by mail. Application must be made in person. This is for a non-Australian citizen. Don't know about other visa types. Brisbane accepted mail applications.

-redwood

You have to bear in mind that, although Hull may issue the visa with no qualms, will the Immigration officer at Suwannabhumi allow it? That's the big question!

Just a thought, but would her passport be scrutinised as closely if she were to enter Thailand by train at Padang Besar from Malaysia? At least that way, she wouldn't be stuck in an airport if refused entry. Air Asia fly from Jakarta to Penang and that's where you get the overnight train to Bangkok.

Just thinking out loud.

Good luck.

That is indeed the million dollar question.

She will have 2 visas on her passport by then - the single entry visitor visa, giving her 60 days, and the multiple entry O,

(We applied for the tourist visa before I thought of the postal O visa).

If I can get an O visa for Thai whilst in Indonesia, why can't she?

Being Thailand, snotty immigration officers making up the law as they go along IS possible - there is no desire to make visitors' lives easy.

Even if I could read Thai language well enough (which I cannot), official pronouncements are often written in such equivocal terms that interpretation is problematic.

We could get off the plane in KL and briefly enter Malaysia...........

You could fly directly from Stansted to KL (Air Asia) and she could fly from Jakarta and meet you in KL. Then you both take the train and once you cross the border, either stay on the train to Bangkok or get to Hat Yai airport.

You've started my devious mind. I won't be able to sleep tonight!!!

No, we can't do that, as flight tickets are already paid for, and Airasia cheapies are not easily altered.

We fly into Chiang Mai from KL on 4th Dec, if I remember correctly.

I was just thinking that entry & exit stamps from Malaysia may be helpful.

I am chicken when it comes to doing anything that could get me into trouble with Thai immigration.

I was just thinking that entry & exit stamps from Malaysia may be helpful.

I don't really see how they will help. Maybe you mean act as a diversion from the Hull visa? Or maybe this is all a storm in a teacup and you're getting into a lather over nothing!!

Good luck anyways and let us know how you got on.

Diversionally useful maybe - to have somewhere we have come from other than her homeland Indonesia - probably useless.

It does look as though Thailand wants to make it more difficult to visit for more than 60 days - hard to see any logic to that.

I am an Aspergers person, and my thinking never coincides with that of the authorities, making it hard not to piss them off, with action that is legal, but off-centre.

Thus the paranoia.

I will post up the outcome - from CM, soon as I get online there.

Thanks everybody, for all your help.

Edited by fridgemagnet