Clamp Down On Imported Meat Products

syd barrett

I friend of mine arrived back from Europe yesterday (Thai Airways) and said there was an announcement on the plane over the tannoy saying that any meat product import into Thailand is prohibited and that the fine was 40,000 baht.

Has anyone heard of this before?

I knew Australia and New Zealand were strict but I always thought it was O.K. to bring English sausages back from the U.K.

There are some recent threads about increased vigilance at the airport arrival customs; how risky is it to smuggle sausage to Thailand now?

Why don't you 'suck it and see'? Lets us know the outcome.

Glib gratuitous obscenities regarding the above posted topic are unhelpful and specious. :)

If you Google the phrase, you will see that the most common usage of the phrase is anything but a glib gratuitous obscenity.

In fact its a phrase i have often exchanged with my grandchildren. They used it before i ever did, btw. You might like to educate yourself as to its meaning before jumping to conclusions. we dont ALL have our thoughts below the waist you know ? :D

Penkoprod

I friend of mine arrived back from Europe yesterday (Thai Airways) and said there was an announcement on the plane over the tannoy saying that any meat product import into Thailand is prohibited and that the fine was 40,000 baht.

I knew Australia and New Zealand were strict but I always thought it was O.K. to bring English sausages back from the U.K.

There are some recent threads about increased vigilance at the airport arrival customs; how risky is it to smuggle sausage to Thailand now?

Most countries including Thailand do impose a restriction on importing meat products. There are various reasons from

Trade agreements, Quarantine issues, protectionism, animal diseases (i.e. foot&mouth), swine flu, and the list goes on.

You should first check with the country Quarantine and Meat import procedure and policy before attempting to bring in the

meat/poultry. Yes, I have been advised many of times by the authorities of the airlines prior to my arrival into Thailand.

That particular announcement has been made on Thai flights for quite some time now, other airlines don't say it and on some Thai flights the PA is so bad you cant really hear it. Just to say I have heard it numerous times and am tucking in to my Sainsburys taste The Difference Sausages tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!.

What about cheese, what about tea bags, what about HP Sauce?

Could a nasty and jobsworth Customs Official create a problem with importing these items?

I am reading daily reports about an enthusiasm by Bangkok Airport Customs to scan all bags and luggage upon arrival, I suppose it is only a matter of time before some poor farang ends up paying a 40,000 baht fine for a lump of Edam or a plastic squeezy bottle of HP Sauce.

:)

I always thought it was O.K. to bring English sausages back from the U.K.

Oh well, that's alright then. English Sausage is mostly not a meat product anyhow. More sawdust than anything else.

Just ask the European Union.

:D

I am amazed by the confidence people have in their bodies' ability to ingest meat and dairy products that have been transported 8-12 hours in an unrefrigerated manner, often exposed to high temperature.

Many prepared foods already have a colony of bacteria in them. The population is below the threshold to cause illness. However, transport under "traveller" conditions allows the colony to grow. Don't do it.

humm high temperatures in a planes cargo hold..... Iv'e had plastic items shatter in my baggage because of the low temperatures they were exposed to.

However I do pack my cheeses carefully with dry ice to avoid them getting warm on the journey to and from the airports. saying that you do need to take care if you don't want your stuff frozen

humm high temperatures in a planes cargo hold..... Iv'e had plastic items shatter in my baggage because of the low temperatures they were exposed to.

However I do pack my cheeses carefully with dry ice to avoid them getting warm on the journey to and from the airports. saying that you do need to take care if you don't want your stuff frozen

The hold has a heated and unheated part.. That's why you can transport a dog in a cage without receiving a frozen carcass at the other end..

As for the bacteria, this is true, but anyone eating street food in Thailand will need a healthy immune system anyway.

I've taken Kangaroo meat into LOS before, Don Muang. A 1 kilo export pack frozen then wrapped in a towel and packed with the rest of my stuff and it was still quite frozen 9 hours later when I got to bangers.

Thailand is foolish to believe they dont have some sort of agricultural disease that is present elswhere in the world, they must think they're up there with the likes of Australia or New Zealand. IMO Thailand's animal industry is more akin to the cargo hold with the special heating one of the other posters was on about.

Damo.

Useful link regarding importation of meat/poultry into the Kingdom of Thailand.

Meat/Poultry into Thailand

7) The poultry meat/poultry meat products do not contain preservatives, additives or any substances posing a harmful risk to human health.

That rules out just about everything :)

Unless the sausages are made of chicken and not pork or beef, This does not apply to them. Anyone found a link as regards pork or beef?

As for the bacteria, this is true, but anyone eating street food in Thailand will need a healthy immune system anyway.

So true. I remember seeing, in front of shops and restaurants, raw meat and fish baking for hours in the hot sun, with zillions of flies buzzing about, when I first ventured to the Asoke area years ago. I was close to giving one of the shop owners a lecture about food hygiene, but thought better of it.

Edited by 7

The hold has a heated and unheated part.. That's why you can transport a dog in a cage without receiving a frozen carcass at the other end..

What are you trying to say 007?

All you have done is posted quotes with no reply.

Edited by cyb

Honestly, I have no idea. Just technical probs. with the computer at the office. It's pretty much f.. up. Maybe computer viruses or food germs?? :)

Edited by 7

Honestly, I have no idea. Just technical probs. with the computer at the office. It's petty much f.. up. Maybe computer viruses or food germs?? :D

What can i say?

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I have no idea. Just technical probs. with the computer at the office. It's petty much f.. up. Maybe computer viruses or food germs?? :D

What can i say?

OOOps wrong place, next post

Edited by Zpete

I recall many moons back, reading that UK raw sausages and meats, were not allowed into the EC.

Apparently because continental people put the raw product into rolls, sammies etc.

The contents of the products were not acceptable.

I guess too many testicals, intestines and 'udder' unmentionable offals put people off.

That was the stuff that makes Sainsbury's and Wall's snags so tasty.

Dunno if that is still the case, or maybe UK butchers have changed recipes.