Terminated

Hello all.

In a meeting today at my school, me and several other teachers contracts were terminated. The only reason given was, we got a bad evaluation. One of the other teachers ask for a percentage of students that liked us. I received an 79%. We were told that the students and the co teachers evaluated us.

My contract says they (the school) can terminate us or we can leave for any reason by giving a three months notice.

We didn't get any notice. My question is, is there anything I can do legally about this? If so, where do I need to go?

As always, thank you for your advice and comments.

The attached link contains a table that details severance pay details, but only comes into play if you have been working for an employer for 120 days. If you have been working for more than 4 months but less than 1 year you will only get 30 days severance pay by law; more than a year then 90 days + depending upon time. If appropriate, you should file a complaint at your local Labour Office who will launch an investigation.

You may need to consider your permission to stay.

If your permission to stay is based on 90 day visa entry (visa issued by Thai embassy/consulate), you can remain in the country after leaving your job until your permission to stay expires.

If your permission to stay is based on extension of stay linked to your employment (extension of stay issued by Thai immigration), you must leave the country on your last day of working or go to immigration that day and obtain a 7 day extension of stay. Your employer may also ask you to return your work permit. On leaving the country you can re-enter immediately on visa exempt entry (if you are from one of the qualifying countries) or by obtaining a tourist visa at a neighbouring consulate should you wish to stay longer.

http://www.business-in-asia.com/thai_labor_law.htm

Edited by thaiphoon

My contract says they (the school) can terminate us or we can leave for any reason by giving a three months notice.

We didn't get any notice. My question is, is there anything I can do legally about this?

I woud do something thogether with your fellow teachers. Ask the school for 3 month payment and threat them with the law and a complain to the ministry of education.

Ask your embassy for advise - you will not be the first.

TiT :-(

The attached link contains a table that details severance pay details, but only comes into play if you have been working for an employer for 120 days. If you have been working for more than 4 months but less than 1 year you will only get 30 days severance pay by law; more than a year then 90 days + depending upon time.

From previous experience I must report that these severance pay rules do not apply to foreign teachers. Since 2004 there is a so called "Foreign Teachers Act" where contracts are automatically limited to 1 year, therefore severance can never be more than 30 days.

The attached link contains a table that details severance pay details, but only comes into play if you have been working for an employer for 120 days. If you have been working for more than 4 months but less than 1 year you will only get 30 days severance pay by law; more than a year then 90 days + depending upon time.

From previous experience I must report that these severance pay rules do not apply to foreign teachers. Since 2004 there is a so called "Foreign Teachers Act" where contracts are automatically limited to 1 year, therefore severance can never be more than 30 days.

Thank you for that information noudb, which is in line with the Labour Protection Act 1998.