Rain

gotlost

Well

This year is REALLY slow about raining enough to stay cooled off.

: 2060.gif

Not even enough to water the garden properly.. and we're basically into July!

Well yesterday we had six inches of water outside in a deep puddle (about 20 feet long by 10 feet wide - right across the drive to the moo bahn next door) - very heavy rain for a few hours and today its been raining on and off all day (raining now in fact) but only light (drizzle mostly). This is Hand Dong (between Samoeng and Sararpii - near Ban Kwanwiang)

Just for anyone's edification,

I now note outside swarming around one of the fluorescent street lamps,

probably encouraged out this evening, by the rain,

A great number of what look like

Termites.

This is surprising because it seems that I have noted this already once this year.

I guess maybe these termites are not following their normal

Behavioral rules,

Or something.

I am glad my dwelling is not built of wood.

Just checked. Yes, these swarming bugs are definitely termites.

I just put a lamp at the window and now these things are beginning to crawl all over the screen

They are phototropic, you know. But their mating habits are not too interesting to me.

I am just wondering if anyone knows:

Here in Chiang Mai do termites often swarm after or during a rain like this?

Because, as I say, in Taiwan they only swarm about 1 or 2 times per year, no matter how much it rains.

So this is the second swarming I have witnessed in Chiang Mai this year.

Can I look forward to more?

I do hope not.

I just put a lamp at the window and now these things are beginning to crawl all over the screen

They are phototropic, you know. But their mating habits are not too interesting to me.

Because, as I say, in Taiwan they only swarm about 1 or 2 times per year, no matter how much it rains.

I do hope not.

Not every rain. The nests burst forth after heavy rain usually, but once the nest is done that's it for the year. I guess some nests are ready before others - usually only happens a couple of times - we had the swarms a few weeks back, and none in the recent rains.

I do hope not.

Not every rain. The nests burst forth after heavy rain usually, but once the nest is done that's it for the year. I guess some nests are ready before others - usually only happens a couple of times - we had the swarms a few weeks back, and none in the recent rains.

Thank you for the info.

These insects are really enough to seriously freak one out, if they have no experience with them.

I had been in Asia already 25 years and had never seen a swarm.

Then I bought an old house in a village.

The wooden rafters were completely infested with a huge nest.

I went to sleep one night as usual.

At about 9 PM I woke up in complete darkness with insects crawling all over me and everything else.

Turned on the lights and the small cottage was completely covered by literally millions of them.

By the next morning I had shovel fulls in the bathroom where I had left on a light to attract them all in there.

I don't mind them too much if I live in a concrete house.

And I am glad you tell me that they only swarm twice per year.

Even now this evening, after this rain,

Some are finding clever ways under the screens on the windows and balcony.

I know they eat styrofoam, or polystyrene because they ate my computer packing.

If I am not mistaken, these are actually the FORMOSAN termite.

That is right, they come from Taiwan, or did.

Or maybe the name is a misnomer?

I guess I will not start naming them this year, though.

I do hope not.

Twice a year? This year must be an anomoly then, as we have had over 10 major swarms in the last 3 months, tonight being the worst.

Edited by DaamNaam

I didn't say twice a year - I said each nest swarms once a year. Heavy rain usually sets them off. It is part of their mating cycle - once they fly they find new nest sites breed and build a new nest (only most die of course - ants and geckos love them - even cats have a go). They don't fly too far from their old nest site. I guess the sound of the rain and the dampness is what sets them off - some nests may be under shelter and rain fall is not consistent either, so nests can explode at different times. They die in the sun, and once they land rarely take off again - so all are gone by morning.

I guess it depends on how many nests are around you and how much rain there is, as to how many swarms you get. Also if there is something with a lot of light nearby (like a 7-11) you may not notice the swarms.

They are an annoyance only really (though can do serious damage if they nest), and can get through the tiniest of cracks. Bloody mess in the morning (mostly just wings as the wormy bits crawls away - or are eaten.

Edited by wolf5370

I didn't say twice a year - I said each nest swarms once a year. Heavy rain usually sets them off. It is part of their mating cycle - once they fly they find new nest sites breed and build a new nest (only most die of course - ants and geckos love them - even cats have a go). They don't fly too far from their old nest site. I guess the sound of the rain and the dampness is what sets them off - some nests may be under shelter and rain fall is not consistent either, so nests can explode at different times. They die in the sun, and once they land rarely take off again - so all are gone by morning.

I guess it depends on how many nests are around you and how much rain there is, as to how many swarms you get. Also if there is something with a lot of light nearby (like a 7-11) you may not notice the swarms.

They are an annoyance only really (though can do serious damage if they nest), and can get through the tiniest of cracks. Bloody mess in the morning (mostly just wings as the wormy bits crawls away - or are eaten.

That is right, your description is completely congruent with what I have witnessed in my village over a period of about 8 years.

And they are all dead by morning, but it takes a long time to clean up the wings which stick to just about everything when they get slightly wet or damp.

The things you learn.........

I'm glad I get notifications when there are new posts to this thread. The first time I saw the termites I had no idea what they were, and I have to say they freaked me out a bit. Someone told me the following day that they were flying termites, but also - incorrectly I now know - that they always come before rain. I have quite happily believed this for the last few years. Trivial as it may be, I'm glad I now know the real story.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I'm glad I get notifications when there are new posts to this thread. The first time I saw the termites I had no idea what they were, and I have to say they freaked me out a bit. Someone told me the following day that they were flying termites, but also - incorrectly I now know - that they always come before rain. I have quite happily believed this for the last few years. Trivial as it may be, I'm glad I now know the real story.

Thank you.

You are correct I think that sometimes they swarm without the rain, in fact I know that they do from watching them during the past 8 years. I have also noticed that they do fly toward a source of water, if there is no rain. For example they will swarm around the bathroom sink at night and then just completely fill up the sink. When this happens it is not such a trivial occurrence.

Thank you.

You are correct I think that sometimes they swarm without the rain, in fact I know that they do from watching them during the past 8 years. I have also noticed that they do fly toward a source of water, if there is no rain. For example they will swarm around the bathroom sink at night and then just completely fill up the sink. When this happens it is not such a trivial occurrence.

Or, the bathroom sink tends to be white, and reflecting whatever available light there is better than anything else near it.

I'd say that the trigger to them swaming is still rain (prospect of rain or recent rain) but once out they are attracted by light. That's why it helps to turn of all the lights in the house, to prevent them from wanting to get in.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thank you.

Or, the bathroom sink tends to be white, and reflecting whatever available light there is better than anything else near it.

I'd say that the trigger to them swaming is still rain (prospect of rain or recent rain) but once out they are attracted by light. That's why it helps to turn of all the lights in the house, to prevent them from wanting to get in.

Yes, this is true, but my unique problem was that the termites had a huge nest in the space above the ceiling. They came down en masse one night and swarmed all over without respite. My only solution was to turn on the light in the bathroom and keep all other rooms dark. And, they still loved the sink even though the brightest place in the bathroom was the lit light bulb. Truly this does freak one out the first time.

Edited by OldChinaHam
  • Like 1

Feels like the rain has arrived smile.png

First real soaking I have had in awhile coming home on the bike tonight.

Before tonight seems like all the rain was the passing type that lasted only a few minutes.

Thank you.

Yes, this is true, but my unique problem was that the termites had a huge nest in the space above the ceiling. They came down en masse one night and swarmed all over without respite. My only solution was to turn on the light in the bathroom and keep all other rooms dark. And, they still loved the sink even though the brightest place in the bathroom was the lit light bulb. Truly this does freak one out the first time.

I'd get that nest removed ASAP - they eat through anything wood (or plaster/paper) very quickly - most modern houses are metal framed and poured concrete, but fitments may still be wood (older houses are various woods - unless very old and then Teak which I believe termites can't eat - Neam wood is poisonous to them too).

Edited by wolf5370

re

Pot of gold right there near the fire station

nahh ... it landed next door in the pawn shop trying to fill the hole in the floor caused by the price of gold going down in the last few days

the gold shop owners must be crying in their boots sad.png

dave2

post-42592-0-19327800-1372430883_thumb.j

• Like 1

I've been wondering about the slow arrival of the rainy season and why I'm still watering plants into July. In previous years it wasn't necessary to water after May.

So I checked the rainfall statistics at the Thai Meteorological site tmd.go.th and found that Chiang Mai province has received only 204mm from January to June while the 30-year average for this same period is 365mm, ie. rainfall is down 44% compared to the historical average for Jan-Jun.

Not only that but Chiang Mai is the worst affected province in the North. Nan is down 36% from its average, Mae Hong Son and Phayao down 25%, Chiang Rai 12%, and Lampang 4%. Only Lamphun is ahead of its average, by 8%.

I realise there is a lot of time left in this season and a couple of very wet months could change things around, but we are off to a very slow start indeed. I was surprised to see that Lamphun and Lampang have been doing quite well so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Who is the keeper of records????

Now that we have been getting a little rain, does anyone have figures for year to date, this year vs last year, how far behind are we in total rainfall????

My uneducated guess would say that May,June,July to date would be around 30- 40 per cent less than average!

Who is the keeper of records????

Now that we have been getting a little rain, does anyone have figures for year to date, this year vs last year, how far behind are we in total rainfall????

My uneducated guess would say that May,June,July to date would be around 30- 40 per cent less than average!

Yup.

Or, with a liberal sprinkling of education:

May: -44.5%

June: -68.1% (!)

July: Data not available yet.

Year to Date: -45.4% (January through June)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

re

July: Data not available yet.

yes it is smile.png

pic 1 .. 24 july 11

pic 2 .. 25 july 12

pic 3 .. 17 july 13 smile.png

its quite a bit lower this year at the moment !

the only problem we have is that the roadway across the river to demolish the old footbridge was still there this morning and theres no sign of anyone moving it out of the way sad.png

but nobody seems to think that blocking well over half of the river with a barrier by warrarot market will be a problem ?

dave2

post-42592-0-46105200-1374583236_thumb.j

post-42592-0-99410300-1374583277_thumb.j

post-42592-0-65353500-1374583304_thumb.j

post-42592-0-11877400-1374583606_thumb.j

As of yesterday, 338mm of rain had fallen this year in Chiang Mai. Average for the end of July is 520mm. A rough guess up until 22nd July would be 480mm, so we are 30% below normal this year.

The height of the river in the city is more to do with the gates downstream discussed on this forum last week I think. They're still closed as of a couple of days ago and the river after the gates is still a trickle.

edit: figures adjusted, used all of Thailand rather than Chiangmai previously.

Edited by naboo