Rain

gotlost

Absolutely pist down in Mae Rim.  Very short and violent tho. Came from the South and was nearly horizontal when it hit.

Strong winds threw any thing that wasn't tied down about.

Nice drop in temp tho.

Animals weren't too impressed. Haven't seen the cats since it passed. Dogs are a bit wet too.  Yes all my 'pets' live outside.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:32 PM, Thailand said:

ATM Accuweather forecasts rain 16 out of the next 28 days for the Chiang Mai area, would be quite unusual for April apart from 2011?

Ah yes but as we know what is forecast and what actually happens is a lottery.I do notice the same weather site is forecasting now an increase of one degree a day to 40 later in the week with no rain.

And another 20-minute heavy-shower in Mae-Jo on Tuesday-evening, again this was accompanied by thunder/lightning, and appeared to be moving up from-the-South.

It's welcome because it helps clean up the air, from that horrible smoke ! 

A friend who lives 2-3 miles away, adjacent to the mountains & forest, has been suffering much-worse-than-us every evening, we suspect burning-off of undergrowth or fire-breaks to be the cause, rather than the usual burning-off of rice stubble.

Further to my little blurb about rain in Mae Rim, a friend that lives closer to the actual town said he had quite large hail before the rain.

His rental house is of Thai style and made with teak. No glass windows and the rain managed to get in through the gaps in wooden shutters.

He said the hail sounded like an express train was coming thru.

Tuesday had cloudy skies but no rain in our area unfortunately. Temperature is down and it's quite a pleasant morning at 22°c.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Torrential rain in Mae Rim at the moment.

It was heading North but did an about face and is now heading back towards the city.  I'd hate to be out on a bike in this stuff.

Heavy downpour and quite squally. Bound to be a few fender benders on the roads methinks.

Should be a quiet afternoon/evening at the Mae Rim Tuesday market....

Lovely temp  at the moment and the humidity level is great.

Edited by CMKiwi
  • Like 2

Nothing in our area of Hang Dong, Wangtan Village and te

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:01 PM, CMKiwi said:

Torrential rain in Mae Rim at the moment.

It was heading North but did an about face and is now heading back towards the city.  I'd hate to be out on a bike in this stuff.

Heavy downpour and quite squally. Bound to be a few fender benders on the roads methinks.

Should be a quiet afternoon/evening at the Mae Rim Tuesday market....

Lovely temp  at the moment and the humidity level is great.

Samoeng Rd was actually closed for a while when a huge tree came down over the road next to Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens,photos on City Life Mag fb. As usual not a drop at our Wangtan Village Hang Dong ,we are always at the back of the queue :sad:

7 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Nothing in our area of Hang Dong, Wangtan Village and te

Samoeng Rd was actually closed for a while when a huge tree came down over the road next to Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens,photos on City Life Mag fb. As usual not a drop at our Wangtan Village Hang Dong ,we are always at the back of the queue :sad:

Do the traditional rain dance - water your plants, wash your car and hang the washing out to dry ;)

• 2 weeks later...

A proper downpour for about 30 minutes on Nimmanhamin, the kind that overwhelms the drains and floods sections of road.  Seems to be tapering off now, but if you need to drive here I suggest waiting a while to give the flooding time to drain away.

The wind was so strong, it blew the rain though our window seals... Had to put down towels to soak up the water! I've never seen THAT before!  Sure glad I was inside and not outside! The lightning is still flashing every few minutes, but the brunt of the storm seems to have passed. I'm surprised that we still have internet connection!

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

The wind was so strong, it blew the rain though our window seals... Had to put down towels to soak up the water! I've never seen THAT before!  

Clearly, you haven't lived in our condo building.  

• Like 1

Excellent lightening show last night, several very close strikes with that instant cracking of thunder.  Enjoyed sitting on the balcony watching it.  Amazingly no loss of power.  

THe missus woke me up at about 2am saying she could hear the sound of fast flowing water.... it was just the klong in front of the house.  Its been dry for over 2 months but there must have been lots of rain in the hills causing a bit of a flash flood.

The large pond next door is now full to overflowing and the hundreds of frogs are loving it.  Their croaking is quite deafening.

28 degrees at the moment, very nice.

• Like 2

Beautiful bit of rain falling in Mae Rim now.  Earlier on it looked very dark towards the South, possibly a good downpour in the city.

No wind to go with this rain which makes it even better,  The mango trees out front are looking good and the klong will get some water again.  If your riding a bike be careful...the roads will be greasy and watch out for vehicles that dont slow down.

11 minutes ago, CMKiwi said:

Beautiful bit of rain falling in Mae Rim now.  Earlier on it looked very dark towards the South, possibly a good downpour in the city.

No wind to go with this rain which makes it even better,  The mango trees out front are looking good and the klong will get some water again.  If your riding a bike be careful...the roads will be greasy and watch out for vehicles that dont slow down.

The weather forecast says this is an all day affair, 47 mm forecast, it's the first water our klong has seen in weeks - a good day to get the DVD's out perhaps.

Unfortunately that bit of rain only lasted 5 minutes.... hopefully it doesnt open up again for this evenings market in Mae Rim plaza.  But I do love the temperature at the moment a nice 28 deg celsius.

38 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

The weather forecast says this is an all day affair, 47 mm forecast, it's the first water our klong has seen in weeks - a good day to get the DVD's out perhaps.

Never seen an accurate weather forecast for CM. Even in real time looking out the window they still get it wrong.

Same rainy weather in Pattaya. I was not expecting this cool temperature down here but  I am enjoying every minute of it , from my balcony I can feel the fresh sea breeze.   

Do I miss CM ? Nope, the only time I will be back is in January to climb the mountains lol. 

1 hour ago, sharktooth said:

Never seen an accurate weather forecast for CM. Even in real time looking out the window they still get it wrong.

This one looks reliable, they've now upped the deluge to 73 mm in 24 hours, I'm off to Hompro to buy one of those build your own ark kits.