Rain

gotlost

Mae Rim plaza Tuesday market was pretty much rained out. Only the main food strip stayed. It was a strange downpour...began with a sudden and heavy drenching followed by heavy wind. It eased off/stopped then returned with wind but from the opposite direction.

Parts of the market looked like a top loader washing machine, pulled one way and then the other.

After the heavy downpour, it eased off somewhat but continued on for a good hour.

The vendors selling mattresses didn't look too happy....nor did their product!

Ok, was nice. Thank you, but enough rain now. We're good.

When Ngat is at 90%, then we're good!

Well we have time .. 11% full now only ... compared to last year same time, around 18% ... I was quite surprised this is "refilling" so slowly !

Phil.

Well we have time .. 11% full now only ... compared to last year same time, around 18% ... I was quite surprised this is "refilling" so slowly !

Phil.

The water table is very low, in my area it's down six metres from the norm.. Until the ground water recovers to nearer normal levels, water is not completely able to flow into the catchment areas, it simply gets absorbed into the ground before it reaches those areas.

Phil.

Its quite normal that its refilling slowly.The ground is still absorbing water and not providing enough run off.That will only come with days of continuos rain.

Planting a couple of shrubs yesterday moisture was only down about 6 ".If we dont get an above av rainfall this wet season the next dry season will be critical.

It was a nice rain here in Padaet. Our 100 mm downspouts were gushing water 2 meters out into the yard which looks like rice paddy this morning. My wife had scheduled the gardeners to come mow the lawn today. I guess she needs to do that more often to keep the rain coming.

Grin

• Like 1

Mae Rim plaza Tuesday market was pretty much rained out. Only the main food strip stayed. It was a strange downpour...began with a sudden and heavy drenching followed by heavy wind. It eased off/stopped then returned with wind but from the opposite direction.

Parts of the market looked like a top loader washing machine, pulled one way and then the other.

After the heavy downpour, it eased off somewhat but continued on for a good hour.

The vendors selling mattresses didn't look too happy....nor did their product!

You were probably directly beneath towering cumulunimbus and experienced a "microburst".

• 3 weeks later...

I measure the overnight rainfall by looking in the back of my pickup truck which is parked on a gentle slope on my driveway, depending on how full the bed is tells me how hard it rained overnight.

This morning the entire bed was full of water, a real overnight deluge, great!

• Like 2

I measure the overnight rainfall by looking in the back of my pickup truck which is parked on a gentle slope on my driveway, depending on how full the bed is tells me how hard it rained overnight.

This morning the entire bed was full of water, a real overnight deluge, great!

Genius, pure genius. I just tend to look around and see if there are any puddles or things are wet. No need for me to buy a truck. ?

• Like 1

Just into "normal" wet season weather now .Humid with the occasional afternoon thunderstorm.

Perhaps someone can post a pic of Mae Ngat dam,current level would be interesting.

I was there a few days ago .Level still looks low .Give it another few weeks .

• Like 1

In Chiang Mai today, the humidity feels super high.

Two days ago, we had a huge and constant downpour, which left everything super soaked, and impossible to dry the upper layers of the ground.

This means that mosquitoes are now swarming like we had not yet seen this year, in my opinion.

This is probably the most uncomfortable weather one can experience in Chiang Mai.

I realize that the rain is necessary, however this is not your typical monsoon rains.

I think these very long downpours are atypical, and also more uncomfortable than the type of rains that Thailand normally gets, which is downpours for a shorter time during a 24 hour period, but still much sun to dry things out and increase the comfort level.

I am giving up on enjoying the outside air for a while, and will use the aircon 24 7

Not much fun.

Edited by WonderousWand

In Chiang Mai today, the humidity feels super high.

Two days ago, we had a huge and constant downpour, which left everything super soaked, and impossible to dry the upper layers of the ground.

This means that mosquitoes are now swarming like we had not yet seen this year, in my opinion.

This is probably the most uncomfortable weather one can experience in Chiang Mai.

I realize that the rain is necessary, however this is not your typical monsoon rains.

I think these very long downpours are atypical, and also more uncomfortable than the type of rains that Thailand normally gets, which is downpours for a shorter time during a 24 hour period, but still much sun to dry things out and increase the comfort level.

I am giving up on enjoying the outside air for a while, and will use the aircon 24 7

Not much fun.

It's defiantly more humid but I actually prefer the current weather to the recent hot season and 40+'c that we had day after day. I am still getting used to the fresh air and being able to see far far into the distance. Much better weather for cycling and going out exploring even if there is a shower.

Re reservoirs the one I see the most is the one at the back of the 700 year stadium. Nothing seems to have made it into there yet. The level may have actually dropped.

No one can tell me that the Monsoon is not going crazy this year. Super high humidity. And I have just been sitting out in a steady major downpour here for the last hour. And the rains are endless. Day after day.

I have been in touch with observers in Vietnam. They tell me they are under the same impression.

So I have a serious query:

1. Last year was my first raining season, and it rained, but nothing like this, and not this soaking humidity.

2. So.. I know that some guys have been here a long time.

Is this the usual, and last year an anomaly?

Also, what about this humidity?

Has it been this oppressive in the near past?

We don't know when it will end, sure.

But relative to the past 10 years, is this quite unusual?

Thanks.

Some other guys have asked me, but I have no clue.

The last couple of years have been unusually dry resulting in the drought and near empty reservoirs . Last year the hot season seemed to extend into June with many days at 37'c and it may have rained only once in the whole month. This month has been wetter than normal although none of it seems to have made its way into the local resevoirs. August , September, October are normally the months when it can seem to rain everyday at some point but not the last couple of years.

The last couple of years have been unusually dry resulting in the drought and near empty reservoirs . Last year the hot season seemed to extend into June with many days at 37'c and it may have rained only once in the whole month. This month has been wetter than normal although none of it seems to have made its way into the local resevoirs. August , September, October are normally the months when it can seem to rain everyday at some point but not the last couple of years.

Thank you.

And what about the humidity?

I do not mind the rain at all, actually, it is only the high humidity.

Some places rain a lot, but the humidity is not usually all that high.

These days, if I do not run the aircon, it is too uncomfortable to work for very long.

Perhaps in the city the humidity is not as noticeable, however if one lives close to the mountain, then there are trees, shade, and of course this makes a great habitat for all sorts of good and not so good insects.

Thank you.

And what about the humidity?

I do not mind the rain at all, actually, it is only the high humidity.

Some places rain a lot, but the humidity is not usually all that high.

These days, if I do not run the aircon, it is too uncomfortable to work for very long.

Perhaps in the city the humidity is not as noticeable, however if one lives close to the mountain, then there are trees, shade, and of course this makes a great habitat for all sorts of good and not so good insects.

Humidity will remain high until the rainy season ends early November. It is very humid and sweaty at the moment but for me it way better than the hot season especially the one that just ended. I am still marvelling at the fresh air and visibility.

Agreed. The humidity can be a killer but sometimes I curse it but then when I think about the heatwave we just went thru..... its ok now.

Temp is down and sure the humidity is up. It is bloody uncomfortable at times, but then I switch on the AC and escape for about half an hour. The heatwave took at least 2 hours to do the same thing.

And the lawn is now looking a lot better...PS. Start the mower tomorrow!

Agreed. The humidity can be a killer but sometimes I curse it but then when I think about the heatwave we just went thru..... its ok now.

Temp is down and sure the humidity is up. It is bloody uncomfortable at times, but then I switch on the AC and escape for about half an hour. The heatwave took at least 2 hours to do the same thing.

And the lawn is now looking a lot better...PS. Start the mower tomorrow!

Yes.

Taking short 1 or 2 hour aircon breaks is helpful.

When we occasionally get a high pressure zone moving through, as we did a few days ago, it can feel rejuvenating.

But all late afternoon, and up til now, it is steaming, and extremely buggy.

I have noticed that those tiny flies love this weather.

So if you do not have some sort of screened porch, or one of those rotating arms with String attached revolving over your head, then it is impossible to read and concentrate sitting outside, no matter what the humidity might be.

When it gets drier, the quantity of flies will abate, for sure.

Edited by WonderousWand