Rain

gotlost

Power out at 1.50am,now 5 times in 16 days,slight wind not enough rain to wet anything but the temp in the early am somewhat cooler.

The frequency and length of the power cuts here is surprising and frankly a PITA.

Every time I look at the long range forecast, for signs of a permanent break to this hotter and longer than normal hot season, it seems to edge out by a few days and the % chance of rainfall drops.

Given that the power seems to go off at the slightest hint of turbulent weather here I'm kinda dreading the rainy season. If it's an on off for 3-5 hours at a time as regular as it has been of late I'll be looking at reappraising the decision to live here. The really nice weather is sure great in 'winter' but not if it's like an oven for another four months, especially an oven with constant lengthy power outages.

Most of my friends here assure me that this is not normal however, at least on the heat front, this year being caused by El Nino. We'll see. The power cuts alone are off putting for me at the moment though, especially given that in Phuket I had only 3-4 all year. And only a couple of more than an hour or so. Here I've had twice as many power cuts in one month than 1 year in Phuket, and many for much much longer.

Edited by SooKee

Chiang Rai, its reported, had a violent storm last night ,blowing over many houses and the death of a 12 year old child under a collapsed house.

Extended drought conditions always seem to end this way with storms.Wise to not leave anything lying around that can becom airborne.

The power cuts seem to be far worse each year, maybe just poor maintenance.

I know it's a pain when the power goes during a storm like last night's, but spare a thought for the guys who shin up bamboo ladders or poke around in poorly designed substations to replace burned out components in the middle of the night. If I wore one, my hat would be off to them. clap2.gif

• Like 2

Well said. From reading around this morning it seems that power was off in a lot of districts last night, ours was unusually off for about 4 hours. All said, with the total lack of preventative maintenance, it's a wonder it doesn't go off more often, and they are really good at getting it back on again.thumbsup.gif

I was shopping at the Big C Superhighway yesterday evening. I could hear the thunder. Then suddenly the power went off. I was in total, pitch darkness for about 30 seconds before the backup lights went on. Had there been an explosion or earthquake, I wouldn't have been able to find my way out. I'm buying a small keyholder flashlite today...might be a life-saver some day! The surrounding neighbourhood with all its condos was also pitch dark.

Storms forecast for the past few, and coming days, so where are they?

Get out there and clean your cars and water your lawns!

my top street food lady was telling me last night that she was expecting big rains and wouldn't be setting up, but it seemed like she meant it was a few days off. Smart lady..putting her lovely daughter through CMU.

I was shopping at the Big C Superhighway yesterday evening. I could hear the thunder. Then suddenly the power went off. I was in total, pitch darkness for about 30 seconds before the backup lights went on. Had there been an explosion or earthquake, I wouldn't have been able to find my way out. I'm buying a small keyholder flashlite today...might be a life-saver some day! The surrounding neighbourhood with all its condos was also pitch dark.[/quote)

Don't forget your pocket knife

Well I think the dry spell has finally broken. Good rain in Mae Rim from about 5pm today. Some heavy downpours with showers in between.

Loving the cooler temps and the lower humidity.

Time to put the hugger guard back onto the bike.

And to all the bike riders out there.....Be careful. Roads are always a bit slippery after these first rains.

In the last 3 weeks I've learnt of friends having accidents on their motorcys. Unfortunately one was fatal. 1 hit and run drunk driver....yes they caught him. The other was a red light runner....go figure.

Be careful out there, life is short enough...

Edited by CMKiwi

A bit more rain and this thread will make 3000 entries. Unless of course folks like you and i press it forward even without the rain. We only need 14 (i think).

And a nice, parking lot flooding downpour at Lanna golf today at 5.30. Can take that daily for 3 months.