Tesco-lotus Over-pricing

Thanyaburi Mac

My wife always checks the bill when we have paid ,you would be suprised at the number of items that have been overcharged,she has made numerous complaints ,also charging twice for an item.

Yeah having a Thai wife can give few benefits also :D but still I'm more happy without !

With my ex in BKK it always was fun when we received the bill in a restaurant or store, as a professional accountant she immediately discovered errors all the time. Thus she saved me a lot of money, but after all she has cost me more after she got seriously tingtong and stole my car.

:)

Yeh gotta watch those 2 baht ripoffs :)

Think I would end up paying the 2 baht just so I don't need to reach to the shelf 3 times when it could be done once :D

I don't understand the point. This is common practice in Europe. Don't you think, Thai's cannot learn from our European markets?

I find this thread quite humorous. I do all my own shopping and I ALWAYS check the prices... in ANY country I happen to be in. I don't worry too much about it and just buy the item if I want it at the price it's labeled. I only buy in bulk when I know I'll need the item and there are substantial savings to make it worth while.

There was a time when companies used to package goods in easily figured out sizes: one pound, two pounds, three pounds, or one litre, two litres, three litres, or 1000 grams, 2000 grams etc. Now they package things in 896 grams rather than rounded out numbers, so it is difficult to calculate percentages. It means they can slowly eroded the size of the item but keep the price the same.

Does that mean it's crooked? No, it's just big businesses method of squeezing more cash out of our pockets. You have the choice of buying or choosing something else.

classic example of store ripoff ( lotus)

we bought a 5 piece bed set ( sheets and pillow cases) as the package said

we got home, found 2 sheets, 2 pillow cases.

complained the next time we were there, their story, the piece of cardboard packing was the 5th item in the package

Where else but Thailand? I bet they were serious too?

Just told my wife (thai) this story. She agreed with Lotus! :)

Edited by jaidee1

classic example of store ripoff ( lotus)

we bought a 5 piece bed set ( sheets and pillow cases) as the package said

we got home, found 2 sheets, 2 pillow cases.

complained the next time we were there, their story, the piece of cardboard packing was the 5th item in the package

Where else but Thailand? I bet they were serious too?

Just told my wife (thai) this story. She agreed with Lotus! :)

Surangw

Are you sure there wasn't one long, sausage-shaped, pillow case in the pack? That is pretty standard with the 5-piece bed linen sets sold in Thailand. 2 sheets, 2 regular pillow cases, 1 sausage pillow case.

I check everything before i purchase I believe it in BUYER BEWARE Things an be on wrong shelf,mistake in pricing old prices etc.

Last week I went to local market for sunscreen , picked one up off the shelf on the way to cashier saw a display of same product. One I had was 140 baht , one on display was 115 baht changed items went to cashier checked price when paying got for 115 baht.

Went to tesco lotus with a thai friend bought some items he had them scan a barcode card he had I got 6 items for 1/2 price I didnot ask questions.

Not just Tesco, the local indepentant wholesaler has a retail outlet as well, some items are cheaper if bought there than in the large boxes. Yes it is only a few Baht but it is crazy.

Also the Tesco stores that do sell large packs, seldom work out cheaper than buying per unit items.

I wish just once somebody would be honest and tell it like it is. It is nothing to do with the principle of the thing it is all to do with the money. BE HONEST!!! 2.5 baht isn't worth the time and effort taken to type out the "Complaint " :)

You obviously didn't take alot of math or economics in school. The 2.5 Baht equates to a 5.6% surcharge on a three-pack which is should be sold at a discount. If you were overcharged by 5.6 % on a major portion of goods that you purchased, it would translate to significant amount of money. If the 5.6%(or 2.5 Baht /three pack) is insignificant to you, why don't you offer to pay this surcharge for everyone reading this post!

I wish just once somebody would be honest and tell it like it is. It is nothing to do with the principle of the thing it is all to do with the money. BE HONEST!!! 2.5 baht isn't worth the time and effort taken to type out the "Complaint " :)

You obviously didn't take alot of math or economics in school. The 2.5 Baht equates to a 5.6% surcharge on a three-pack which is should be sold at a discount. If you were overcharged by 5.6 % on a major portion of goods that you purchased, it would translate to significant amount of money. If the 5.6%(or 2.5 Baht /three pack) is insignificant to you, why don't you offer to pay this surcharge for everyone reading this post!

I just sent this note to the Klong 7 branch, now to see how they respond.

Mac

I went to this store today, Thursday 1 October. Amongst other items, I was going to buy a few packages of FINELINE Fabric Softener in the 700 ML package.

I noted the pricing:

-- one pack is baht 15.

-- three packs bundled together is baht 47.50!

-- So I bought three (3) single packages for baht 45.

In many stores that I've been to if you buy a "bulk pack" there is a discount. Not so at LOTUS I guess.

In the future I will be extra careful at TESCO-LOTUS to check the bulk pricing versus individual packs.

Mac

Klong 10

My goodness an outrage! Call out the guard, deploy an army and march on Tesco's at once!

Be cool man, it's only 2.5 baht. More likely to be an admin error than anything else.