City Or Jazz ?

Maigo6

What are some of the pluses of a hatchback? My first car ('91 Mustang GT) was a hatchback, and it pretty much was a trunk. I suppose gals in the backseat could reach for whatever was in the trunk (beer, chips, lube, etc.) but that was about it.

:)

TRy getting a chest of drawers or chair in the back of a sedan, thats the difference.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TRy getting a chest of drawers or chair in the back of a sedan, thats the difference.

If we are talking furniture moving buy a pick-up. If you buy any piece of furniture over 1000 bath they will deliver for free so no concerns there. I can load two shopping trolleys easily in my City's trunk and that was one of the reasons I bought a City, not for funiture moving.

Somebody told me the 4 persons can load their golf gear and go golfing in a City, please correct me if I am wrong as I don't play myself.

What are some of the pluses of a hatchback? My first car ('91 Mustang GT) was a hatchback, and it pretty much was a trunk. I suppose gals in the backseat could reach for whatever was in the trunk (beer, chips, lube, etc.) but that was about it.

I think maybe you're thinking a Hummer hatchback maybe? For a Jazz, Mustang, etc... then you basically get the added difference of being able to fit a full size Igloo cooler in there and maybe still open it from the inside. But yeah, I get your point that you do get that slightly increased triangular area of space to put stuff and can also reach it from the inside of your car.... probably the perfect shape for a lower model tennis ball machine or small catapult as well.

:D

Edited by Heng

I think maybe you're thinking a Hummer hatchback maybe? For a Jazz, Mustang, etc... then you basically get the added difference of being able to fit a full size Igloo cooler in there and maybe still open it from the inside. But yeah, I get your point that you do get that slightly increased triangular area of space to put stuff and can also reach it from the inside of your car.... probably the perfect shape for a lower model tennis ball machine or small catapult as well.

Catapult? Yes the Trebuchet will only fit in the Jazz the City's useless for carrying it :):D

In June I got a new Jazz and very happy with it. I looked at the City and the new styling is great but i had just sold my Civic and was looking for something different so went with the Jazz. In that price range either one would be a good choice.

If we are talking furniture moving buy a pick-up. If you buy any piece of furniture over 1000 bath they will deliver for free so no concerns there. I can load two shopping trolleys easily in my City's trunk and that was one of the reasons I bought a City, not for funiture moving.

Somebody told me the 4 persons can load their golf gear and go golfing in a City, please correct me if I am wrong as I don't play myself.

not sure if you saw my post above, I did a removal with the Jazz and it is incredible what you can stuff inside!

And it drives like a car with car suspensions, not like a pick-up that has rather truck properties. Moreover, your stuff remains dry in the back and is locked up.

Depends on the use, will there be any highway driving? Might want to consider the safety issue with relatively small tires and small brakes of both the City and/or Jazz (or Yaris, for that matter) especially in the rain. You can upgrade the tires and brakes of course, but you'd be surprised how many people say they will do that but then change their minds (usually fearing that keeping it 'stock' is better). For highway driving, perhaps your old (or a new one) Fortuner, or perhaps CRV might be a little safer. Heavy, not too much zip, plus as per the local Darwin road rules... bullies (buses, trucks, etc.) tend not to mess with bigger or more expensive cars.

All would be fun and easy for city only driving though, especially in any town where you might have to parallel park more often than not.

In summary, I recommend an X3 for the missus and 650i for yourself. :)

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up...."

Like you say Heng, the safety of a car should much higher on the list of priorities here. If there is going to be any out of town driving, a heavier more solid vehicle should be considered. Stuff the fuel bill.

Recently we had an encounter with a 10 wheel Mitsubishi Fuso, doing approximately 60kmh when it hit us. We are lucky to be alive. Brake tracks of the truck was 43meters. Almost killed my FIL.

Insurance said it was truckies fault.

See pic.

post-63608-1254905000_thumb.jpg

Depends on the use, will there be any highway driving? Might want to consider the safety issue with relatively small tires and small brakes of both the City and/or Jazz (or Yaris, for that matter) especially in the rain. You can upgrade the tires and brakes of course, but you'd be surprised how many people say they will do that but then change their minds (usually fearing that keeping it 'stock' is better). For highway driving, perhaps your old (or a new one) Fortuner, or perhaps CRV might be a little safer. Heavy, not too much zip, plus as per the local Darwin road rules... bullies (buses, trucks, etc.) tend not to mess with bigger or more expensive cars.

All would be fun and easy for city only driving though, especially in any town where you might have to parallel park more often than not.

Like you say Heng, the safety of a car should much higher on the list of priorities here. If there is going to be any out of town driving, a heavier more solid vehicle should be considered. Stuff the fuel bill.

Recently we had an encounter with a 10 wheel Mitsubishi Fuso, doing approximately 60kmh when it hit us. We are lucky to be alive. Brake tracks of the truck was 43meters. Almost killed my FIL.

See pic.

my god!!! scary...

glad that you are ok.........

Forgot to also add the obvious that the higher up you go model wise (in addition to the weight and stability pluses), the more likely you are to be surrounded by more and more airbags.... don't forget to check. Easy to overlook, most of us will never need to see one, I never have... but I think when I finally do, I'll certainly appreciate them from both the front and the side.

See pic.

Sheesh this would be a write off in the UK but in Thailand will it be repaired??

Safety in cars here isnt a high priority even the Jazz sv only has 2 airbags!

Sheesh this would be a write off in the UK but in Thailand will it be repaired??

valid point! And only the VTEC has two of them. All others only one for the driver. The VTEC is also the only model with rear disk brakes instead of drums. I wonder that they still dare to offer such medieval technology!

See pic.

It is a write off here too. We have bought a replacement S6. All useable parts will be switched over.

This chassis will not return to the road. It could only be repaired to 80% of its original state. The chassis is bent.

Airbags will not save you in a Jazz or City if a truck hits you. It will crush you.

what about the new Mazda 2 when it comes out here soon?

Driving past a Mazda showroom yesterday there was some sort of party going on and big display boards abgout the Mazda 2, so maybe it is already in the showroom [could be for customers to pre order]

The ford festiva might be worth a look too - not sure when its out here though..

Did you mean Fiesta ? 1st quarter of 2010.. Voted the Best Diesel Supermini & Car of the Year 2009, wonder if they will make the Diesel ? in reports early this year they said they would, there again somewhere I read that the Thailand Fiesta would have 4 doors and a boot :)

post-42643-1255049196_thumb.jpg

Edited by ignis

As for Mazda, Nissan, Ford, Chevy,... I'd be weary of any make whose particular models disappear or are removed from market every few years, not to mention relatively limited dealer/service center network. All good though if you only plan to use it for 3-5 years and don't have to worry about parts being on stock longer than that.

The ford festiva might be worth a look too - not sure when its out here though..

Did you mean Fiesta ? 1st quarter of 2010.. Voted the Best Diesel Supermini & Car of the Year 2009, wonder if they will make the Diesel ? in reports early this year they said they would, there again somewhere I read that the Thailand Fiesta would have 4 doors and a boot :)

post-42643-1255049196_thumb.jpg

Yes thats what I mean't. Confused it with an older model.

I'm a very happy Jazz V-TEC driver for almost 5 years and clocked 205,000 km as of today.

The car runs fast enough (maxes out at 180) is very versatile, can load up sh1tloads of stuff (did one removal with it....and yet another box fit in....).

Compared to the City....the Jazz is technically the same car, so it can do whatever the City can with the plus of the hatchback.

The interior of the new models is unfortunately too much plastic for me. The older models looked far better.

Fortuner: worst car I've ever driven. Going in a corner is like shooting with a bent gun. Don't want one for free.

ok i have been driving a 2008 modulo civic, and i have been really happy with everything but the automatic tranny. loss of engine braking on any motorized vehicle unsettles me . that said it is rock solid at 150 kph + and great to drive over long distances. also, the front wheel drive is crap on long circular on and off ramps.

i have never driven a jazz, but i find it hard to believe that even if i can do 180, you could ever possibly feel confident at prolonged higher speeds. it appears to have a high center of gravity, tiny wheels and narrow wheelbase. it is admittedly a city car.

the city seems a great compromise between jazz and civic. lower center of gravity than jazz, and with some new rims, beefed up suspension and the new transmission, i cant see how the jazz coul be a better driving car. the jazz looks like a running shoe. the city looks pretty dam_n good. if only mugen had a part to replace the barbecue grill with mesh.

obviously i would prefer a bmw, but not willing to pay thailands tax markup.

I've had my new City about 3 months now, and in that time, I've taken about 6 cross country road trips of about 3-4 hours highway driving. The City will cruise all day at 140 if you want, but I don't like to pay the BIB 200B every checkpoint, so I just go about 120.

As mentioned above in this thread, I had a new VTEC top of the line jazz (previous version) before and did the same road trips. The jazz was ok, but nothing compared to the new City. The City just holds the road, accelerates great, very good braking response, and is much much quieter and rides more comfortable at high speeds.

Whoever said it above is right. In town, the Jazz is better, easier to park, zippier, etc.. But for overall best all purpose, including highway driving, City is the best. City is also fairly small, so small winding parking ramps in garages are not a problem.

Edited by keemapoot

You guys all drive pretty fast. I told my driver that if you need to drive more than 110 anywhere, you need to find a job somewhere else. I'll 'open it up' to 180-200 if I take one of my toys out, but only for the FEW nice and clean stretches on the motorway, 10-15 km at a time... then back down to cruising speed like a grandpa.

I'm a very happy Jazz V-TEC driver for almost 5 years and clocked 205,000 km as of today.

The car runs fast enough (maxes out at 180) is very versatile, can load up sh1tloads of stuff (did one removal with it....and yet another box fit in....).

Compared to the City....the Jazz is technically the same car, so it can do whatever the City can with the plus of the hatchback.

The interior of the new models is unfortunately too much plastic for me. The older models looked far better.

Fortuner: worst car I've ever driven. Going in a corner is like shooting with a bent gun. Don't want one for free.

ok i have been driving a 2008 modulo civic, and i have been really happy with everything but the automatic tranny. loss of engine braking on any motorized vehicle unsettles me . that said it is rock solid at 150 kph + and great to drive over long distances. also, the front wheel drive is crap on long circular on and off ramps.

i have never driven a jazz, but i find it hard to believe that even if i can do 180, you could ever possibly feel confident at prolonged higher speeds. it appears to have a high center of gravity, tiny wheels and narrow wheelbase. it is admittedly a city car.

the city seems a great compromise between jazz and civic. lower center of gravity than jazz, and with some new rims, beefed up suspension and the new transmission, i cant see how the jazz coul be a better driving car. the jazz looks like a running shoe. the city looks pretty dam_n good. if only mugen had a part to replace the barbecue grill with mesh.

obviously i would prefer a bmw, but not willing to pay thailands tax markup.

2009 Jazz and City is mechanicly/suspension/brakes/engine/auto the same car. City has longer wheelbase giving more rearseat space and longer trunk, but also higher weight. Higher weight gives softer suspension reducing traction. Jazz therefor handles better in curves. Longer wheelbase in City increases stability on highway.

Jazz is the only one able to transport a recliner, 42" TV, my rottweiler and 2 adults at one trip :) Cargo volume is close to a Fortuner.

2nd hand value seems to be higher for Jazz, all the girls want them :D

BTW I dont have either Jazz or City, but just sold a 2006 Yaris. very easy to sell, half the contacts where female.

Edit Both are a disaster safetywise without 2 airbags, which only comes with the 2 top models, like 650k and 700k.

Edited by katabeachbum

Knew a Honda sales gal who said she regularly used the 'you likely wouldn't survive the accident anyway even with airbags in a City or Jazz... but you'll enjoy some great fuel economy' sales technique.

I bet she had more commision on an Accord :)

Actually, according to Euro Napcap testnorms, with 2 airbags they are safer for occupants than any pickuptruck available in LOS.

Edited by katabeachbum

did the other day constant 170 on the motorway as I was running a bit late for a meeting. Well, you have the feeling that you are close to take-off speed, but workable. Usually I go 140-150.

I've had my new City about 3 months now, and in that time, I've taken about 6 cross country road trips of about 3-4 hours highway driving. The City will cruise all day at 140 if you want, but I don't like to pay the BIB 200B every checkpoint, so I just go about 120.

Just ask them for evidence...they had it only once (Motorway km 12 at the airport) - no evidence no money :)

Actually, according to Euro Napcap testnorms, with 2 airbags they are safer for occupants than any pickuptruck available in LOS.

Didn't the first Jazz there got only 3 stars? They might have improved since then. Triton got 3 stars, if I remember correctly, but here it comes without stability control. How does the latest Navarra fares in those tests?

Also they get these stars after taking the impact from the stationary force. If a loaded pickup truck crashes into tiny Jazz, the impact forces will be vastly different, and I doubt an extra star would matter that much.

Also they get these stars after taking the impact from the stationary force. If a loaded pickup truck crashes into tiny Jazz, the impact forces will be vastly different, and I doubt an extra star would matter that much.

The Jazz is not that small, not so long ago there was a test......... Big Concrete slabs placed across a runway a 'Smart' head-on at 70 MPH very big impact lots of damage but you could still open the doors, on the recording of the dummy inside the only injury could have been by the G-Force, they also did the same test with the new 'Corsa' about the same results, but on a older 90's Volvo 940 and a 90's 'E' Class the damage was bad, the engine moved into the cockpit, legs crushed, steering wheel hit chest, face hit, doors had to be cut open the damage to the body would have been 90% fatal..

Didn't the first Jazz there got only 3 stars? They might have improved since then. Triton got 3 stars, if I remember correctly, but here it comes without stability control. How does the latest Navarra fares in those tests?

The first Jazz wasnt really good in crashtests. Until new Jazz in 2008, Yaris was better. I checked this in 2006, and got a Yaris. Now new Jazz is on par with Yaris, forget if its 4 or 5 stars.

In my opinion these crash tests are not really fair, since vehicle have to crash with same weight. For a pickup thats 3 ton. For a Jazz its 1,6 ton. However HIC (head/neck/back-injury) results are really bad for any LOS pickup. Pickup against Jazz? Lets try :) The jazz may look like sh-t, but passanger damage in pickup could be worse.

Nissan Navara had in 2008 tests good deformation zones and a body not collapsing, but too slow airbags. Modified software couple of weeks later and is now one of the best. In my opinion Dmax is worst, with body/roof/floor collapsing at 55 kmh. However, good airbag timing gave it 2 stars.

Edited by katabeachbum

The Jazz is not that small, not so long ago there was a test......... Big Concrete slabs placed across a runway a 'Smart' head-on at 70 MPH very big impact lots of damage but you could still open the doors, on the recording of the dummy inside the only injury could have been by the G-Force, they also did the same test with the new 'Corsa' about the same results, but on a older 90's Volvo 940 and a 90's 'E' Class the damage was bad, the engine moved into the cockpit, legs crushed, steering wheel hit chest, face hit, doors had to be cut open the damage to the body would have been 90% fatal..

No doubt a 2009 Jazz/Corsa/Fiesta/Yaris/Polo with 2 airbags is safer in front crash against concrete barrier than most pre 1999 cars or trucks available. Side impact is another matter

Edited by katabeachbum