Business For 2 Million Baht

maahuanao

A Thai girl of my acquaintance has 2 mill with which to start a small business for herself and is looking for a good idea- she asked me and I said I'd see if I can think of anything, so I thought I'd cheat and ask on here! She would ideally like something that involves her buying a property rather than renting but that's about it, she's in need of inspiration!

She speaks good English, used to work in her mom's restaurant and has worked in hotels.

Location probably not an issue.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

What return is anticipated and whats the envisaged timeframe?

Property? - in an urban area with planning permission for biz/res - build a shop house on it and rent out - has to be a one of the better options to consider.

Thailand's population is going to nearly double over the next 25years. Over the next 10 it will increase 25% - 30%. Add to that the migration from rural areas to urban and the demand for urban land space is going to rocket.

Big advantage here that she will have is no mortgage to worry about - so the rent will be "pocket money" while the capital safely grows in value.

A nonsensical post with a blind link to a joke site has been deleted.

--

Maestro

[deleted]

Best of luck with your friend's business, maahuanao. One thought is that buying property in an urban area with 2MM seed capital is plenty enough to do by leveraging herself, but I'd be more concerned about testing the business model. Not exactly a great seller's market right now if you have to get back out of it quickly and the business model itself is the primary concern (unless the model itself involves a specific property, as in with a resort).

A Thai girl of my acquaintance has 2 mill with which to start a small business for herself and is looking for a good idea- she asked me and I said I'd see if I can think of anything, so I thought I'd cheat and ask on here! She would ideally like something that involves her buying a property rather than renting but that's about it, she's in need of inspiration!

She speaks good English, used to work in her mom's restaurant and has worked in hotels.

Location probably not an issue.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Checkout Sunbelt as start. they are listed in TV

if you really want to help said lady. you would tell her business is not for you!

sunbelt is a waste of whatever, they only broker not interested in you making money.

ps would be good to know how she accumulated 2m ,if she not hiso thai chinese...............she should do more of it!

Edited by mrmagooo

Help her with the marketing plan and market analysis.

I see hopeful Thais starting businesses and then fail within months.

Hopeless attempts, like to open a 4th place offering coin operated or full service washing services. Or small eateries costing 5,000 rent plus utilities and with 3 staff and a daily turnover of maybe 700, they cannot make it.

Or small pharmacy shops... It's tough, seeing so much pain for the entrepreneurs!

Chris

There couldn’t be a worse time to start a business than during this worldwide economical world crisis.

Probably the best investment for the present is to deposite the money with a bank and let the capital accrued interest until the economy picks up again.

Although present bank interest rates are rather low, there are some good deals if you search around and able to tied the money up for a while.

Or small eateries costing 5,000 rent plus utilities and with 3 staff and a daily turnover of maybe 700, they cannot make it.

Precisely why she wants to buy somewhere I reckon, so at least she will stillown something even if the business isn't making a fortune.

ps would be good to know how she accumulated 2m ,if she not hiso thai chinese...............she should do more of it!

Not the way you think!

She got a cheap loan through her dad, but it was now or never, so she borrowed the money and then started trying to find a way to use it!

?

Property? - in an urban area with planning permission for biz/res - build a shop house on it and rent out - has to be a one of the better options to consider.

This is the kind of thing she may consider, although I'm not sure 2 million is enough for this really.

hotel with small shack like rooms in Ayutthaya near the floating market.

My idea but not viable for me at this stage.

She would really like a bungalow type resort - but 2 mill is only going to be enough to buy a bit of land in any really touristy area, certainly not enough to get the whole thing up and running.

Find a good location

Buy maybe half or quarter rai of land budget maybe 500k

Build a row of 5 accommodation units on it maybe another 500k

Put the other 1m in the bank

Let them out and collect the money every month.

If the project is successful build 5 more!!

If every thing fails she still owns the land and building

Any successful business owner would tell her... LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

Without a good location a business will fail, no matter how well run it is.

Once you figure out a good location then you have to figure out who the customers are and how much they have to spend. The one downfall I see in most Thailand businesses is they all copy each other and over saturate any market. It makes little sense in establishing a new business where there is already a good one nearby.

A reasonable suggestion is some place where she could live in the back and work in the front. That cuts down on the overhead. And, she should understand that most businesses operate at a loss for the first two years and just break even for the next 2 or 3 before making any money. It takes time to establish a customer base. And, she WILL have to be a good accountant and know where every baht is going. Then there is the case of hiring staff. Nobody can work non-stop for 365 days a year. There has to be someone to take over when you go for supplies or take a break. Good staff are worth everything you can pay them and bad staff should be fired the moment you realize they are not doing the job.

Or small eateries costing 5,000 rent plus utilities and with 3 staff and a daily turnover of maybe 700, they cannot make it.

Precisely why she wants to buy somewhere I reckon, so at least she will stillown something even if the business isn't making a fortune.

Now, however, if she did some leg work and found 20 spots were she could set up small eateries like the one you mentioned each one should not cost 100,000 baht to set up. Probably less but lets say she wants them kinda nice with a lil theme, like "Nong Pla's" or something so 100,000.

She will save start up costs on kitchen equipment and chairs and tables and such by buying in bulk and what she dose is rents them out to pepole who want to have a lil buissness of their own. They pay daily just 350 baht. that leaves you with 10,500 monthly on each one. Deduct 5000 for the rent, and you got 5500.

Ok 5500 dosn't sound like much, but multiply that by 20 shops and your looking at 110,000 monthly. Drop 10,000 to pay a collections guy to go around and get the money daily and check up on the shops. and Bang, 100,000 clear each month. You regain your investment in just under 2 years and you have Your own lil operation that dosn't require a whole lot of your time. Later on when things are really going well and like clock work, she can sell them as a franchise get some more cash back and try something else...or even raise the rent once the shops are more settled in and successful and pocket more cash.

If someone has no idea of what sort of business they want to be in, to the extent of asking what to do on an internet forum, it sounds to me like a recipe for losing your stake. Better to get a job and invest the capital until you've spotted a genuine opportunity and made a sound business plan.

Typical hi so family behavoir. Dad tries to rein in bad party girl daughter. Girl has no business savvy at all, does know where all hot party spots are. Ask someone for advises who is even less savvy business wise and this is the thread one comes up with :)

If someone has no idea of what sort of business they want to be in, to the extent of asking what to do on an internet forum, it sounds to me like a recipe for losing your stake.

She didn't ask on an internet forum, she asked me for some advice, which I have given her, but thought that sounding out other people for ideas could do no harm.

Typical hi so family behavoir. Dad tries to rein in bad party girl daughter. Girl has no business savvy at all, does know where all hot party spots are. Ask someone for advises who is even less savvy business wise and this is the thread one comes up with :)

So she's hi so is she? She hides it well.

I'm not business savvy? Don't tell my bank manager or he'll be wanting to know how I've managed to be self employed for the last 20 years!

First she needs to work out what type of business she wants, make a business plan, find a location and decide whether she wants to work or sit back and manage.

For that money if she intends to buy a property to operate a shop or restaurant she’ll use up most of her capital so would be limited in what she can then afford for stock and running expenses.

Then again depending on location she may be able to purchase a block of Thai style apartments away from tourist areas for example and sit back and collect rent.

Another option would be take out a lease. She would then have more freedom to choose what the remaining money can be used on plus keep some up her sleeve until the business is established.

For that money if she intends to buy a property to operate a shop or restaurant she'll use up most of her capital so would be limited in what she can then afford for stock and running expenses.

Then again depending on location she may be able to purchase a block of Thai style apartments away from tourist areas for example and sit back and collect rent.

Not all new businesses need to fail. I financed a Thai family in Luk Kae in a small business selling ice and water. They have a few big ice boxes with a variety of ice types: crushed, block and nugget. They also sell mixed gas for motor bikes that require it, and they have 2 electric coolers for cold drinks. And, they sell soda pop and beer. The initial outlay was small and they seem to be making a profit. They deliver those big water jugs around their village on a sidecart fastened to the motor bike I bought them. The whole family helps out.

Originally, the brother in law picked up the ice at the factory, but now they have it delivered. The same with the big white water jugs and the cases of soda pop. When their business expanded they could afford delivery instead of picking it up themselves.

This photo was taken a few years ago. Now they have 5 big ice chests.

Drink_stand.sized.jpg

Little Fong helping out by selling the mixed gas...

Luk_Kae_bootlegger_2.sized.jpg

Selling ice to the street vendor

Luk_Kae_023.sized.jpg

The little motorbike side car they use to deliver the ice and water locally

Luk_Kae_kids_7.sized.jpg

Forgive me for being cynical, but something is rotten in Denmark....

I know you are only asking for investment advice, but the whole idea of your "girlfriend" acquiring 2 mil for investing in god-knows-what business sounds odd to the point of being specious.

On the other hand, this post might be a gag; if you really wanted to know how to invest that money in a business, you'd want to know a whole host of things before this: What skills does the woman have? Location? Business model? Cost analysis? Surveys of consumers in the area? It goes on....

"My girlfriend has this money to invest..." sounds like, "I have this friend who has this rash..."

But be that all as it may, listen up -- starting a business on Samui is a very, very, very risky affair. Basically, if you want to do better than break even, think very hard about proceeding.

You can live a long time here on 2 mi formulating a strategy ..... :)