Bangkok Post Bans Thaivisa From Using Its Content

george

Did anyone on the forum perhaps 'step' where they should not have?

Not necessarily that there was a cultural clash, but more along the lines of professional etiquette.

Because there is a large degree of perceived anonymity on the net these days - forums, blogs, chatrooms, facebook, etc

it might be that there was some possible mild transgression that has since grown out of all proportion.

Of course it is difficult to quantify, with time, but it might be worth looking at, as a policy.

Personally, I dislike the C&P crowd, appreciate opinions and debate, plagiarism is always to hand, simply to complicate matters.

edit - news piece -

Of course there is a new cry from Newscorp, Murdock, to simply pay for all content - this might also be a

partial reason for preempting the local TV ban, as it is passed down. Wonder how much BBC paid, if any.

Rupert Murdoch has said it is time for internet search engines and other websites to start to pay for any news reports they currently take for free.

Mr Murdoch, owner of media giant News Corporation, said such sites would soon have to pay for any content taken from his firm's many new providers.

He was speaking at the World Media Summit in Beijing, where his comments were backed by some of his competitors.

Associated Press boss Tom Curley said news providers were being "exploited".

'Act decisively'

"The aggregators and plagiarists will soon have to pay a price for the co-opting of our content," said Mr Murdoch, whose company owns newspapers including the Sun and the Times in the UK, and the New York Post and Wall Street Journal in the US.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8298507.stm

Edited by HABITAT

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a web site of my own for people 'living expat', not specifically for those in Thailand but expats generally anywhere. I wonder how Thaivisa would respond if I were to re-post some of the information from the Thaivisa forums on my site?

I imagine if they were to be 100% fair and follow the "what's good for the goose etc philosophy" then they wouldn't have any response at all.

Update:

Thaivisa and Bangkok Post will meet and discuss later today. I hope to have an update for you by tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience!

:)

Any news yet, George?

opalhort

He asked you to be patient. The update's only 2 days late! !

Maybe on Monday .. "Thai Time" and all that.

Edited by tmark

Update:

Thaivisa and Bangkok Post will meet and discuss later today. I hope to have an update for you by tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience!

:)

Any news yet, George?

opalhort

He asked you to be patient. The update's only 2 days late! !

Maybe on Monday .. "Thai Time" and all that.

George did say he hoped to have an update, Not that he would have one.

The fact that george has not replied yet shows that maybe things are a little more difficult than he envisaged.

When george has a definate answer for us i am sure he will be here like a shot.

Even if they agree on general terms, technical application might take time for webmasters to say it's even possible, let along implement it.

Thaivisa has to tweak forum software bought from Invision and it's no small task, and BP has to outsource tweaks on their side, too.

Hi Folks,

Would it be possible to say

I read the news today, oh boy "Reality cheque" in the Bangkok post.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

P.S. Lyrics from the Beatles 'A day in the life' :)

Prior to the request by BKK Post to prevent stories being downloaded, we were free to use links to the Post. I subscribe to the Post and routinely posted from the BKK post. We are not 'pressured' by our sponsors. At least as a moderator, I've never been asked or instructed to use them.

There is a problem, IMO, with censorship in Thailand and this causes a lot more concern for the media than a lot of other considerations. Even the newspaper that appear to have an obvious bias do print the opposing point of view, it's just shorter and not necessarily located where it's easy to find.

The other issues which concern me, as a resident, is the laws on Lese Majeste, libel and defamation. But, for now, that's what we all have to live with.