Chiang Mai Immigration Office

Mapguy

You are correct KevinHunt..... The person said the visit Immigration for the "exit permit", and obviously is still here.... So they would be using a re-entry type of stamp. At any rate... this discussion just help to emphasize my point of interpretation. Depending on "the environment and influence". You bring up "somewhere like Saudi Arabia". So that has an influence on your reply.

And I am not looking for an argument with you, KevinHunt, or anyone else. I'm sure you are much more knowledgable and smarter than I am.

MSPain

As for interpretations, someone posted about going to Immigration to get an "exit" visa... I would guess that is a very distorted interpretation of a "re-entry permit". Maybe thinking of getting out rather than getting back in. I don't see why anyone would need a visa to exit anywhere. Again, this is just to emphasize how interpretations can make a difference.

Now this should liven things up!!

MSPain

Maybe they have worked somewhere like Saudi Arabia where the only way to leave was to have either an exit/re-entry visa or an exit visa. Without either of those stamps in your passport you couldn't leave! If one day you decided that you'd had enough, then buying a ticket and heading for the airport wasn't possible, you had to get your employer to apply for an exit visa first. No exit visa, no exit.

This is just to emphasise how misunderstandings can make a difference.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many times do you hear about drunken Americans starting fights in the bars or just walking down the street or ripping off guesthouses and cheating people who rent motorcycles? It is other mationalities that are usually blamed for that.

How many angry Germans or hauty English or Frenchmen have I seen demanding this or that at immigration and not taking no for an answer?

Sorry, but Americans are no better or no worse than the rest.

I think that all nationalities have there own stereotypes and usually there is some truth in them.

I'd say that some Americans I've met can be louder and more vocal in there complaints than there European counterparts.

I'd also say that the worse culprits for getting drunk, fighting and acting stupid tend to be us Brits.

Luckily the Majority of us Americans and British don't act like this.

How many times do you hear about drunken Americans starting fights in the bars or just walking down the street or ripping off guesthouses and cheating people who rent motorcycles? It is other mationalities that are usually blamed for that.

How many angry Germans or hauty English or Frenchmen have I seen demanding this or that at immigration and not taking no for an answer?

Sorry, but Americans are no better or no worse than the rest.

Please read my post and those of others more carefully.

I said that I don't go to immig every day; so i was not suggesting my view was statistically significant. I was merely stating what I had personally found (as in fact was the poster you were criticising)

Your experiences may be different and so may other posters but we can only tell it as it is as individuals.

I read quite well, but when you pick out a specific group of people to generalize about, you are - perhaps unwittingly - giving ammunition to bigots who are all too happy to throw in their own stereotypes. In general, I think that it is better to think of people as individuals.

By the way, you are correct; my experiences are quite different from yours.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Officers from immigration came out to our home yesterday to check up on us - i am applying for extension based on marriage to a thai. FIVE of them showed up - kinda interesting. Neighbors were not home to provide reference, but when the saw the cute sister-in-law, 3 of the took her aside to get her testimony.... and tried to get her phone number too! Straight out asked "do you have boy friend"? hahahahaha...

anyways, silly me, i thought since they had been here, i could go down for my approval (even though stamp in passport say to return on 16th november. Got to office, turned in passport and in about ten minutes my number was called and i was politely informed to return on the date indicated.... no way around it... only on that date could i get my approval (or not).

Interestingly, the head guy who came out, made a big point (he spoke english) of informing me that ONLY cuz i was married to thai could i possibly get this extension and IF we ever bought land, i could not... blah blah blah... definitely going for making the big impression, above and beyond simply informing me of the "facts". I got it... i finally told him.

anyways... he gave us a paper for house owner to sign, that she has to file with immigration cuz a falang lives in her home and they had looked it up and she had not "registered" me. So owner met with us at immigration and she filed papers today. Then she informed us that now that I am on record, the tax people will probably visit us and ask how much she is getting for rent! hahahahaa... so now the owner needs us to help her out with the tax folks... never mind that the rent is deposited right into her bank acct from ours, monthly. She thinks if we tell them less than it actually is, then she won't pay taxes or something. I am staying out of that and won't sign anything... all questions get referred to owner...

Was he suggesting that this is part of the land reform due out later this year?

Iain

No, he was not suggesting land reform issues... as far as i could tell. He was just making sure that everyone conformed to the law and that i KNEW that he KNEW all about everything....

that is my impression, anyways.

I read quite well, but when you pick out a specific group of people to generalize about, you are - perhaps unwittingly - giving ammunition to bigots who are all too happy to throw in their own stereotypes. In general, I think that it is better to think of people as individuals.

By the way, you are correct; my experiences are quite different from yours.

Ulysses, you miss the point, with respect

Neither I nor some other posters are genearlising against nationalities.

I gave my experience and went to pains to make it clear I was not generalising.

Molehills are for moles; not to make mountains out of.

(hope you don't object to ending a sentence with prepositions :) )

With respect, I think that you are missing the point. If I said that in my experience African Americans steal more than other races, most people would - rightly - find it racist and offensive. I do not see a lot of difference between that and what you are relating as your innocent personal insight.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I went today for my trivial 90 day reporting.

Having had a late lunch at the Vegetarian Society which is only a few minutes from Immigration, I arrived by bicycle at 1:10PM, so my unorganized paperwork was still in my bag when within a 1 second of getting my ticket, my number flashed. I was in and out within 5 minutes. It was a quiet afternoon there, so I suspect that with the old system, I would have gotten out just as fast. I actually was ready for a half hour wait with a good book.

No complaints with my 1st experience with this new system. :)

I went to immigartion office in Chiangmai to change my visa from Non-immigrate O to Retirement. It took me almost 20 min and I had my visa and was out of the office. Great Service. I don't know where you can better service than in Chiangmai. lived in Thailand off and on since 1972. Best to enjoy the service you have. I was treated with great respect. Can't get the same service anywhere else. :):D:D:D

Went on Tuesday to get a residency certificate prior to getting a Thai drivers license. As others reported, the waiting area is clean, stocked with good English-language reading material, the staff very helpful and the place was blessedly chilled. I think the new enclosure is wonderful, especially the air con.

The copy lady in the shop behind the office was her ever-helpful self. I just pointed to the posting of copies need for the various forms and she zipped out my copies without a word being spoken. I even had correct change for the copy charge!

Within 45 minutes of arrival I was 500 baht poorer (charge for residency certificate) and had my certificate. It was lunch time, so I decided to eat in the restaurant that's part of the copy shop before tackling the drivers license office. The khaw phat gai was good, ample and cheap. And the water was free!

The driver's license office was rather nice, too. The biggest hurdle was in getting the tuk-tuk driver to understand where I wanted to go. He seemed to know the general area, but expected me to know which building in the rather large complex. Finally he stopped a guy on a motorcycle and had me ask him in my Thai (which I speak with a flawless American accent, rendering me unintelligible to the average Thai) But I just had to utter "bia khap khii" and he looked at the tuk-tuk driver like he nuts not to know where you go to get a drivers license.

Anyway, I got my drivers license in less than 45 minutes. The staff there was very helpful, too. So much better than similar interactions with government offices in my home country.

Hi

I have had another struggle getting my residence certificate to renew my drivers license.

They wanted 500 Baht again! The is no fee for this service and it has always been free in other offices.

I lived in Chiang Rai and Tak before.

I told them; where does it say: fee 500 baht....no reply.

No receipt either...corruption. Pls. I want to speak to the officer in charge. no reply.

I took my passport and the document and left. No reply.

I hope other farangs hav the courage too....no fee, free!!

Hi

I have had another struggle getting my residence certificate to renew my drivers license.

They wanted 500 Baht again! The is no fee for this service and it has always been free in other offices.

No receipt either...corruption. Pls. I want to speak to the officer in charge. no reply.

Go to your consulate or Embassy and it will cost you 4 times that at least,Their as always been a charge at immigration while i have been here 300B ,then they stopped doing them for a while ,then when they restarted it went to 500B.Still a big saving on the UK consulate.You will not get it free in CM.

Hi

You are in Chiang Mai not Chiang Rai or Tak a certificate of residence has not been free for about 3 years. You need to educate your self before you go off and make an arse of yourself and give farangs more bad PR. :)

Hi

Yes it happened to me too some time ago It is not right but this is thailand; and the embassy would charge a lot more. Their service is very good at Chiangmai which I think is a more important point.

They give receipts as a standard procedure normally - but not for residency it seems. No receipt means it does not get accounted for.

Edited by caf

What really needs to be done is for the other organizations to reconsider their need for the letter which must be new and original each time. I understand ChiangMai immigration not really wanting to issue one and do the work of individually typing the letter (which should not be needed.) I think their attitude is it is not really an immigration matter just as doctors do not really like spending all their time filling in forms for absences etc. The system needs changing and this is one thing which causes a lot of irritation whit people living here but I do not think it is likely to change.

Hello, All.

Is the residence letter supposed to be from a person's country consul or from Thai Immigration?

Does anyone have a country consul that will not issue the letter?

If a person's country consul will issue the letter, why not get the letter from their country's consul?

MSPain

Hello, All.

Is the residence letter supposed to be from a person's country consul or from Thai Immigration?

If a person's country consul will issue the letter, why not get the letter from their country's consul?

MSPain

Usually either will do, but most countries' consulates charge more than immigration.

/ Priceless

Hello, Priceless.

I am aware that the consuls AND Thai Immigration provide the letters. I don't think it is the responsibility of Thai Immigration to provide them... I'm not sure.

And I have seen people say that they would rather get the letter from Thai Immigration because it is cheaper than their home country's consul. It that is the case, then those people should not complain about the price... I know they will, though.

Some years ago I was told by a high ranking Thai Immigration official that is was not their responsibility to provide these letters. Maybe things have changed.

MSPain

Hello, All.

MSPain

Usually either will do, but most countries' consulates charge more than immigration.

/ Priceless

Well, it's like would you prefer to pay 400 baht at the police station or 200 baht to the copper with no receipt.

We all know how it works here.

I paid the 500 baht and did not demand a receipt or begrudge them what amounted to a small tip.

I was happy - saved me money

They were happy

No doubt the consulate would not have looked at it that way.

At the end of the day they give a very good service. No point rocking the boat.

Hello, Priceless.

I am aware that the consuls AND Thai Immigration provide the letters. Why did you ask, then?

And I have seen people say that they would rather get the letter from Thai Immigration because it is cheaper than their home country's consul. Why did you ask, then? It that is the case, then those people should not complain about the price... I know they will, though.

Some years ago I was told by a high ranking Thai Immigration official that is was not their responsibility to provide these letters. Maybe things have changed.

MSPain

/ Priceless

Hello, All.

MSPain

/ Priceless

Priceless,

The reason I asked is because I haven't seen anything showing what the proper, correct, regulated, ruled way of providing the residency letter. (where it is "supposed" to come from)

I cannot get the Land Transport site in English right now, so I cannot verify the way it should be done.

If Thai Immigration is issuing a letter to make it more convenvient for a guest here, that does not mean it is the way it is supposed to be done.

I do not have the English language version of the instructions which I had received quite some time ago. It seems to me that it said the residency verification was to come from the applicant's home country consul. Right now I don't want to go to the consul just for that.

I will be renewing my license early next year so I am very interested in knowing the correct way of accomplishing this.

If Thai Immigration issues a letter and someone at the licensing division happens to not accept it because it is not the correct way, I would have extra, wasted things to do.

As I said, I asked to find out the proper way to do it according to the rules and regulations. I hope that doesn't offend anyone.

I hope I have made it more clear.

MSPain

Priceless,

The reason I asked is because I haven't seen anything showing what the proper, correct, regulated, ruled way of providing the residency letter. (where it is "supposed" to come from)

I cannot get the Land Transport site in English right now, so I cannot verify the way it should be done.

If Thai Immigration is issuing a letter to make it more convenvient for a guest here, that does not mean it is the way it is supposed to be done.

I do not have the English language version of the instructions which I had received quite some time ago. It seems to me that it said the residency verification was to come from the applicant's home country consul. Right now I don't want to go to the consul just for that.

I will be renewing my license early next year so I am very interested in knowing the correct way of accomplishing this.

If Thai Immigration issues a letter and someone at the licensing division happens to not accept it because it is not the correct way, I would have extra, wasted things to do.

As I said, I asked to find out the proper way to do it according to the rules and regulations. I hope that doesn't offend anyone.

I hope I have made it more clear.

MSPain

If you live here, you should be aware that Thai law provides the individual official with a lot of leeway when it comes to accepting or rejecting documents, as well as demanding extra documents that are not listed in any regulation. I suggest you prepare yourself mentally for possible extra hoops to jump through.

The best and most up-to-date information on requirements for Thai driver's licenses can probably be found in this TV thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Applying-1-a...g-L-t27462.html which is pinned at the top of the Motor forum.

/ Priceless

Hi

You are in Chiang Mai not Chiang Rai or Tak a certificate of residence has not been free for about 3 years. You need to educate your self before you go off and make an arse of yourself and give farangs more bad PR. :)

I agree. It hasn't been free, when immigration has been doing them, for at least 6 years. Used to be 300baht. Beats going to consulate and paying $30. Pay up or go without your drivers license, its that simple. Furthermore, where do you get the idea that government offices here in Thailand have to provide you things for free. They pay Government employees a wage, just like every other country.

Does anyone know how the CM immigration office determines the 3 month funds must be in a bank account to satisfy the retirement or marriage extension one year visa?

In other words, do they use 30 days to count a month so you would need 400,000 baht for the marriage visa to be in a bank account for 90 days or is there some other way they determine this?

I agree. It hasn't been free, when immigration has been doing them, for at least 6 years. Used to be 300baht.

Paid 150 baht in 2548 (4 years ago) and got another copy for the two licenses for that. Agree it's so much easier than messing with costly embassies, consulates, although to have it something like 50 baht wouldn't hurt.

Does anyone know how the CM immigration office determines the 3 month funds must be in a bank account to satisfy the retirement or marriage extension one year visa?

In other words, do they use 30 days to count a month so you would need 400,000 baht for the marriage visa to be in a bank account for 90 days or is there some other way they determine this?

Well they stipulate 3 months as opposed to 90 days so I'd go for that. Use calendar months + couple weeks just to make sure, or if you've been renewing for 5 consecutive years it's 2 months (according to the bird last week).

The whole system is obviously there to prove to a certain degree that you have the means, as opposed to borrowing dosh for a week and removing it all again after application.