Which Route Is More Dangerous On Motorcycle

tomahawk

I have been having an ongoing discussion with friend about which is more hazardous trip on motorbike? Starting from area of Meechok Plaza, do you guys who ride motorbikes believe it is more dangerous to drive from there to Thapae Gate or to Maejo University? I realize that this depends on time of day and rush hour and such, so I will say at about 9AM and 4PM. Thanks.

I "commute" from Mae Jo to Tha Pae most days and would agree with Winnie - the biggest problems on the 1001 being the U-turn gaps where drivers "chance it" and you have to be good on the brakes or at swerving! Secondly, going back towards Mae Jo in the evenings, bloody double or triple parking for the roadside markets that reduces 3 lanes down to one! Park sensibly and walk a bit you lazy b*st*rds!!! Grrrrr! :)

Cheers,

Pikey.

I don't know why the OP was asking the question - maybe he/she is considering living out that way? If so, I'd say, despite the potential dangers, the commute is nice and quick. I live 13km from Tha Pae and it normally takes around 15 mins as the roads are all dual carriageway or more and there are only 2 sets of lights between Mae Jo and the Superhighway. I lived between Bor Sang and San Kamhaeng a few years ago at about the same distance and the commute often took half an hour as the roads are nowhere near as good and I think that there are also more lights.

Cheers,

Pikey.

I "commute" from Mae Jo to Tha Pae most days and would agree with Winnie - the biggest problems on the 1001 being the U-turn gaps where drivers "chance it" and you have to be good on the brakes or at swerving! Secondly, going back towards Mae Jo in the evenings, bloody double or triple parking for the roadside markets that reduces 3 lanes down to one! Park sensibly and walk a bit you lazy b*st*rds!!! Grrrrr! :)

Cheers,

Pikey.

Don't forget on Mondays and tuesday evenings its even worse near the Rimping because of the market in the Car park. Nighmare time.

The trip into town of course as there are many more junctions/lights to negotiate. The Mae Jo road is just straight up. Once you're past the market, it's just a matter of keeping over to the left (for the most part) and an eye on the ueys. Good idea on a bike to keep up to speed, or be going quicker than, the general flow of traffic, although understand it'd be tough if one has a scooter with peashooter exhaust. :)

Thanks everyone. And it is correct that I am moving to Sansai and that is why I am asking. Actually I did walk from Meechok Plaza to Maejo University last week. It took about one hour and twenty minutes. Many people could do it faster no doubt but I have herniated disk and so use walking stick. However it was a nice walk and if not in a hurry will probably do it regularly once I move.

Thanks everyone. And it is correct that I am moving to Sansai and that is why I am asking. Actually I did walk from Meechok Plaza to Maejo University last week. It took about one hour and twenty minutes. Many people could do it faster no doubt but I have herniated disk and so use walking stick. However it was a nice walk and if not in a hurry will probably do it regularly once I move.

Hmmm, not sure if I'd regularly want to walk that stretch of road - no pavements, only the hard shoulder/bike lane. I'd think you'd fair better on a bike than on foot there so far as risking getting wiped out.

If you want to walk, scoot over to Huay Tung Tao and either use the dedicated walking/running/cycling track or pay 20b and walk around the lake. Much nicer and safer too!

Cheers,

Pikey.

I drove to Nong Khai a month ego by bike, before Udon Thani noticed 3 teenagers with a 2 meters stick. The speed was about 120 km so they could not stop me allthougth they tryed. It happened about 5 a.m. I think I never will go there by bike

I would not even try to ride to Nong Khai on motorbike. Too far for me. Pikey thanks for advice and I know what you mean. There is more to story though. I have back injury which doctor thinks may be herniated disk so he says it is okay to walk but I should stay off motorbike for now. I had MRI and today go back to hospital and if okay I will go back to riding motorbike, but I still like to walk and have walked and ran at Huay Tung Thao and find it quite nice.

Good luck with your back and I hope it gets sorted. I sympathize as I spent 3 months in hospital after an op on a prolapsed disc went a bit wrong.

Mae Jo is a nice area and if you are out walking that way, once over the 121 heading north, opposite the 3rd U-turn there is a road which T-junctions into the 1001 from the right. Half a km down there is an excellent large teak house restaurant called "Ubon" - decent food at a great price and I think, open from about midday. Also, lots of cheap student type eateries near the uni that are worth a visit if you are hungry or thirsty and in the area.

Cheers,

Pikey.