Lessons Learned

ozsamurai

-assume all farang males that you encounter are drunk, until you have reason to believe otherwise

-when an Asian solemnly attests to something you can be sure they are lying

-money flows in only one direction is Asia, that it is not towards YOU

-the farang gets served last (may not apply in Bangkok or southern Thailand)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-the farang gets served last (may not apply in Bangkok or southern Thailand)

Never had that happen to me once bendejo. Sure I've has people try to push in front of me and the staff go to serve them until I point out that I was first but that happens to Thai folks too. In fact at my favourite chicken shack and the place I buy my somtam from I have to tell the owners that there are people before me because they try to serve me before other people who're waiting.

Correct. I'm quite convinced that Thais don't understand the meaning of the word... "budget". They figure that any money coming in is meant to be spent immediately. I've tried many times explaining that to the Thai family I take care of and it always falls on deaf ears.

try and get them to make a list of what they spend the money on for a month ( or even a few days) almost impossible. and if it gets done the list does not match the total monies spent

Correct. I'm quite convinced that Thais don't understand the meaning of the word... "budget". They figure that any money coming in is meant to be spent immediately. I've tried many times explaining that to the Thai family I take care of and it always falls on deaf ears.

try and get them to make a list of what they spend the money on for a month ( or even a few days) almost impossible. and if it gets done the list does not match the total monies spent

On the other hand, I find the Thais I have been close to to be extremely careful with money. No, not in terms of developing a physical budget, but they drive me crazy. I have to remind my SO that we're not poor. I find it very similar to the "Great Depression thinking" I saw with my grandparents.

On the other hand, I find the Thais I have been close to to be extremely careful with money. No, not in terms of developing a physical budget, but they drive me crazy. I have to remind my SO that we're not poor. I find it very similar to the "Great Depression thinking" I saw with my grandparents.

Thais can be very careful with the money they earn themselves and can make a little bit of money go a long way. It is with the lump sum gift of money (such as charity) that they will have trouble with. Too many can't seem to grasp the concept of high interest payments for motorcycles etc. The same with gold jewelry. They'll pawn the gold jewelry at the first chance they get and lose in the exchange. I've given up giving anyone jewelry that they can pawn. Same with more expensive items.

#3 Phuket and like resort towns bear no resemblance to real life/people in Thailand, don't move here because you had a nice holiday there once.

And on the flip side of the coin, don't write the place off because of the way the people who flock to resorts for a fast buck acted while you were on holiday.

Never trust any Thai, never believe any falang and remember 99% of Thai's who marry falangs only do so for money.

So sad, I feel pity for you. :)

Ditto.

What a cynical person. My experiences completely negate what he said.

Sure, some people cannot be trusted, but to completely write off 65 million?

Thais can be very careful with the money they earn themselves and can make a little bit of money go a long way. It is with the lump sum gift of money (such as charity) that they will have trouble with. Too many can't seem to grasp the concept of high interest payments for motorcycles etc. The same with gold jewelry. They'll pawn the gold jewelry at the first chance they get and lose in the exchange. I've given up giving anyone jewelry that they can pawn. Same with more expensive items.

You seem to be contradicting yourself. You previously indicated you help people to help themselves - -an admirable deed. I'm totally with you on that. So why give jewellery.

They'll pawn the gold jewelry at the first chance they get and lose in the exchange. I've given up giving anyone jewelry that they can pawn.

My first Thai wife even pawned the wedding ring I bought her when I returned to the States for awhile. Actually I think she sold it outright. But anyway, when I returned a couple of months later she didn't think I would notice her ring was much smaller. I learned lots of lessons from that woman! :)

You seem to be contradicting yourself. You previously indicated you help people to help themselves - -an admirable deed. I'm totally with you on that. So why give jewellery.

Lessons learned the hard way, caf... :):D

When you give a woman a present for her birthday they usually prefer jewelry to something practical. But, when they pawn the present you gave them then it is a lesson learned the hard way. A few lessons like that and it quickly hardens your approach to giving.

However, having the children's teeth fixed, or buying them clothing, or paying doctors bills, or buying school books helps the family in a more positive way. I've always been a sucker for a sob story, but eventually you learn the difference between actually helping someone and just throwing money away.

And, continuing on the same topic...

Never buy anything in Thailand that you can't walk away from, or lose with few regrets. Any request for financial help should be considered a gift and don't expect anything in return.

Edited by IanForbes

Lessons learned the hard way, caf... :):D

When you give a woman a present for her birthday they usually prefer jewelry to something practical. But, when they pawn the present you gave them then it is a lesson learned the hard way. A few lessons like that and it quickly hardens your approach to giving.

However, having the children's teeth fixed, or buying them clothing, or paying doctors bills, or buying school books helps the family in a more positive way. I've always been a sucker for a sob story, but eventually you learn the difference between actually helping someone and just throwing money away.

And, continuing on the same topic...

Never buy anything in Thailand that you can't walk away from, or lose with few regrets. Any request for financial help should be considered a gift and don't expect anything in return.

Good point, Ian. I agree

I think I misunderstood your post.

When you give your tee rak money it becomes her's and not your's any more. So don't ask what she spent it on.

Is the new kid hanging around really your tee raks sisters kid.

Is the older kid hanging around really her sister or her daughter.

Don't worry be happy

Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

When a Thai says Mai Pet, it isn't spicy. To her!!!!!

Up to you does not mean its your choice. What it means is that you have to go through a list until you reach the one that she wants. Then if it doesn't turn out good it is your fault!

if it makes no sense, get over it as it makes sense to them.

just because the light turns green doesn't mean the car in front of you is going to move

The accelarator pedal should never be pressed when leaving a traffic light

The accelarator pedal should never be released until you are three feet from the line at a red light.

Sometimes, some gay Thai men act a lot like some Thai women. So do some straight Thai men, sometimes. Sometimes, some somtam tastes good. That's the sum of it.

Good job you said sometimes, or some humorless <deleted> might have taken your comments as 'very negative' ha ha