Buses In Pattaya.. Up To Bangkok

smint

Is anyone familiar with the buses that travel along Sukhumvit, where you can hop on and just travel from point to point (eg. Pattaya, Sattahip, Chonburi, Rayong, Bangkok)

Is there any website with the list of 'official stops' and how do you say that to the bus-boy / bus inspector (or perhaps maybe you can just stop anywhere)? I've only gone on the bus a couple of times so the only things I know how to say are stuff like "Pattaya", "Big C", "Robinsons" or maybe like "Bang Saen". I would like to explore many local places, but don't know how because I don't know the names, and if I mispronounce them I guess it would probably cost me twice or thrice the price and perhaps bring me to the wrong place..

And how do they calculate the price? Sometimes when I wear expensive-looking clothes, they charge me much much more - twice the price! While sometimes they charge less, and it seems like there's a difference of +/- 10 or 5 baht depending on the bus boy?

I have also seen, at night, neatly dressed bus inspectors (like a mix of a sailor and security guard uniform, neatly tucked in to black long pants). Are these the official buses or what... They certainly are much cheaper than the 'normal' buses, though the buses look quite the same from the outside. But inside, they have a tray to put your drink and slightly more leg room. However, most of the time I just see the 'normal' buses, with the busboys wearing plain white buttoned shirts tucked out with grey long pants, and that is the more 'expensive' buses in terms of fare.

Lastly, are they govt run buses, or private buses, or a mix of both the illegal and legal buses that ply the routes - how to tell the difference?

Well, 5 or 10 baht difference is not much, but I can't drive so I believe I would have to rely on these buses the most, and I think I would have to travel quite frequently in the future, so I'm just asking if anyone has some experiences...

I've read a few wikipedia and online articles on this, but doesn't seem very clear to me as I have little experience on them. And they mostly talk about the Bangkok ones. Anyone with interesting information, experience, or any Do's and Don'ts when on board these buses to share?

Thank you very much!

Edited by smint

Is anyone familiar with the buses that travel along Sukhumvit, where you can hop on and just travel from point to point (eg. Pattaya, Sattahip, Chonburi, Rayong, Bangkok)

Is there any website with the list of 'official stops' and how do you say that to the bus-boy / bus inspector (or perhaps maybe you can just stop anywhere)? I've only gone on the bus a couple of times so the only things I know how to say are stuff like "Pattaya", "Big C", "Robinsons" or maybe like "Bang Saen". I would like to explore many local places, but don't know how because I don't know the names, and if I mispronounce them I guess it would probably cost me twice or thrice the price and perhaps bring me to the wrong place..

And how do they calculate the price? Sometimes when I wear expensive-looking clothes, they charge me much much more - twice the price! While sometimes they charge less, and it seems like there's a difference of +/- 10 or 5 baht depending on the bus boy?

I have also seen, at night, neatly dressed bus inspectors (like a mix of a sailor and security guard uniform, neatly tucked in to black long pants). Are these the official buses or what... They certainly are much cheaper than the 'normal' buses, though the buses look quite the same from the outside. But inside, they have a tray to put your drink and slightly more leg room. However, most of the time I just see the 'normal' buses, with the busboys wearing plain white buttoned shirts tucked out with grey long pants, and that is the more 'expensive' buses in terms of fare.

Lastly, are they govt run buses, or private buses, or a mix of both the illegal and legal buses that ply the routes - how to tell the difference?

Well, 5 or 10 baht difference is not much, but I can't drive so I believe I would have to rely on these buses the most, and I think I would have to travel quite frequently in the future, so I'm just asking if anyone has some experiences...

I've read a few wikipedia and online articles on this, but doesn't seem very clear to me as I have little experience on them. And they mostly talk about the Bangkok ones. Anyone with interesting information, experience, or any Do's and Don'ts when on board these buses to share?

Thank you very much!

You can Get a bus at the Ekami Bus station on Sukhumvit to Pattaya for 113 Baht. [Next to Ekami BTS. You can get off any where along the way be for Pattaya. There is also buses from the Airport for 200 Baht. {Holiday Tours} Bottom floor.

Any website with official information will probably be in Thai only.

Here's the deal. You catch a bus on Sukumavit to Bangkok it will be the MILK RUN.

Yes. It will go through Sriracha and stop at every little pitstop in between.

They stop to let customers on. The buses here are a different company from

the faster non-milk-run buses you can catch only at the offical bus terminal on north road.

By contrast, both bus companies leave from Ekami station in Bangkok to Pattaya.

The price is about the same.

Thanks BJB!

Ah... "Milk Run"? Like " A routine trip involving stops at many places."?

So those buses that just stop to drop off passengers are the "non-milk-run" buses.. those who pick up passengers everywhere along sukhumvit are the milk-run ones.. Guess I do not have much of a choice then..

Anyone else with more info to share? Thanks!