Getting A Motorbike Licence.

ginka

How do I go about getting a motorbike licence in Thailand? I realise some might say why bother, but I would like to be completely legal for insurance purposes should things go wrong. I have a car licence. I was thinking of 100-150cc engine size to start with. Any tips will be appreciated.

To get the licence, you need to go to the transport office, take your passport, a letter from a doctor, visa details, letter from immigration stating that you are registered at a thai address with the immigration dept, originals and copies.

then you read a book of road rules and reg they you do a 30 question test, you need 80% to pass, then you need to do a driving test.

If you pass then you will get a temparary licence that is valid for 12 months, after 12 months it will be up graded to 5 year permanent licence.

Why bother?? If you have an accident with a thai driver, regardless if he is in the right or wrong, licence or not registered vehicle or not, drunk or stoned, the police will make you pay the thai driver or they will threaten to put you in the monkey house.

I know of two people that have had this happen to them.

If you have a Thai licence and insurance then, things will be in your favor if you have an accident.

"""then you read a book of road rules and reg they you do a 30 question test, you need 80% to pass, then you need to do a driving test."""

Not true.

You really need to have an international driving license, applied for in the country that your license is issued in.

It needs to be in English.

You do not need to sit a test on rules.

You do need to sit a reaction, eye and colour blindness test......but it very easy if you are ok.

This is fact as I have done it and have a license for both car and bike.

I produced a British license but they were not interested with it, at the same time I produced a Singaporean license and international license.

The office favoured the later 2.

Get a license if you are to be driving/riding in Thailand.....I have produced it several times and the Police were happy with it.

Have an accident and dont have one????????????

You need....medical cert from a doctor.

.................a valid visa, not a tourist visa.

.................a certificate of residence from your nearest immigration office.

.................plenty of photocopies of all the above.

................. to take your passport.

Edited by soihok

then you read a book of road rules and reg they you do a 30 question test, you need 80% to pass, then you need to do a driving test.

Unless you already have a motorcycle license from your home country. In Phuket (as these things seem to differ provence to provence) they had me go to the California DMV website and print out the page which describes what a class C (car) and M (motorcycle) licenses are. Then all I had to do was the color, reaction and depth perception tests. No written or driving test. Took under an hour. Just get there before 930am.

"""then you read a book of road rules and reg they you do a 30 question test, you need 80% to pass, then you need to do a driving test."""

Not true.

You really need to have an international driving license, applied for in the country that your license is issued in.

It needs to be in English.

You do not need to sit a test on rules.

I have heard many 1st hand stories from friends which contradict soihok's statements here. It would seem if you don't have a valid license from your home country, you will have to take the tests, both written and driving. There is no such thing as an "international drivers license." Your drivers license from home is an "international drivers license" already if they are part of the UN's international road convention, and most are. IDL's are a scam plain and simple. There is something called an "international drivers permit" but it is simply a translation of your current license into several languages. It provides no additional rights or privilages, and is not translated into Thai anyway. No one anywhere requires the IDP's with one exception: Some car rental companies in China, and that's only if your license isn't already in English or Chinese. . IDP's and IDL's are cleaver ways to separate fools from their money. Search this forum. There is a recent thread on this here.

Edited by Scubabuddha

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard many 1st hand stories from friends which contradict soihok's statements here. It would seem if you don't have a valid license from your home country, you will have to take the tests, both written and driving. There is no such thing as an "international drivers license." Your drivers license from home is an "international drivers license" already if they are part of the UN's international road convention, and most are. IDL's are a scam plain and simple. There is something called an "international drivers permit" but it is simply a translation of your current license into several languages. It provides no additional rights or privilages, and is not translated into Thai anyway. No one anywhere requires the IDP's with one exception: Some car rental companies in China, and that's only if your license isn't already in English or Chinese. . IDP's and IDL's are cleaver ways to separate fools from their money. Search this forum. There is a recent thread on this here.

Hi,

interesting what you say about IDP's I did get one when I came to Phuket in September (I got seperated from £5) and when I rented a car the rental company guys who turned up did want to see it as well as my UK licence. I guess every place/company is slightly different but seeing as it was only £5 lasts for a year and was very easy to get (post office, one form and a photo) it didn't make me feel all that foolish :-)

Here we go again... :)

Scuba is right, you have two options. There is several threads here with the information.

1. Convert your home country licence to thai one. You need to provide IDP from your home country and they will issue you thai licence based on that. Some offices like bangkok also accepts translations certified by your embassy if you do not have IDP. Some offices even accept your home country licence as it is providing it is in english and that they recognize it as valid licence.

2. If you do not have licence from any other country you need to do it from the start. Do written test and practical driving test and if you pass they issue you licence.

To qualify either of above you must have non-immigrant visa (some offices might issue one without it).

You need to prove your address (Yellow tabien baan, work permit, letter from embassy or letter from immigration, out in the sticks they might accept one from amphur or police station).

You need to have medical certificate (using correct form from any clinic).

You also need to fill in application form and take the necessary eye sight and reaction tests at the DLT office.

Nowadays all offices are connected with computerized system so you can apply or renew your licence in any of the DLT offices. You do not need to go to your assigned office based on your home address anymore.

No photos needed as they take them at the DLT before printing out the licence card.

Edit: typos

Edited by MJo

Not true.

Your post is not true.

If you do not have a home-grown license (from a country that has Thailands approval...........unlikely if you have a MC license from North Yemen) then you do need to do the 30 question thingy on the puter, driving test, reaction test etc.

Why is it that some posters state stuff on here implying that it is fact?????

Clowns.

Edited by Phatcharanan

An International Driving Permit (IDP) allows an individual to drive a private motor vehicle in another nation when accompanied by a valid license from their home country.

The document is slightly larger than a standard passport and is essentially a multiple language translation of one's own existing driver's license, complete with photograph and vital statistics. It is not a license to operate a motor vehicle on its own.